Today’s message to young women is: All girls are beautiful. But some are more beautiful than others. Oh, and frankly – you over there! – you don’t make the grade at all.  What the hell’s going on with those eyebrows? What is this? 2008?

In a world awash with far too many beautiful girls (for the purposes of this article for ‘beautiful’ read ‘fully coiffed, immaculately made-up, grain-fed, and catwalk-ready) today we also have the announcement of the 2011 Girlfriend Rimmel Model Search winner.  You can meet the finalists here.

UPDATE: The winner was 13-year-old Irish, Croatian and Pacific Islander and Sydneyite Chloe Glassie. And she has braces!

Listening to their rehearsed gushing about being inspired by other beautiful girls, about becoming a celebrity and maybe getting into fashion and the excitement of a photoshoot and hopefully even finding Orlando Blooms of their very own is enough to make me fantasise about cursing them all with pustulent pimple outbreaks.

Sorry, girls, that was maybe a bit harsh. Although I’m assuming there’s not much time for reading columns from some bitter old hag what with all the primping and preening you’ve gotta do. And yes, you’re probably right that I’m not beautiful on the inside, either.

But if you do read this, you should know that not so very long ago, it was normal practice to force girls to endure suffering beyond imagining.

They were made to visibly endure the agonies of pubescence, from surprising spurts of hair growth to the horror of carbuncular acne and the twisted torture of full-metal braces.

No longer. Today’s girls are groomed till they gleam. Perfectly streaked hair swishes down slender backs or hangs in artfully dishevelled buns. Tans last all year round. Invisible fairies rearrange teeth into magically straight lines.

The nails are polished, the eyebrows arched, and I don’t even want to think about their bikini lines. That bastion of all good health information, Embarrassing Bodies, found most young women these days sport nary a clump. In fact they find the merest curl a filthy intruder.

And the skin. Oh, the skin. Growing up is about realising, essentially, that you are not the centre of the universe. It’s a harsh but necessary coming-of-age.

The one rite of passage guaranteed to push one past self-glorification and into the realm of the real, is a batch of really bad zits.

Pimples teach you many things that will serve you well later in life.

That they appear mainly on the face, and usually in time for an important event or casual encounter with a crush, teaches you that the universe is cruel.

That they can cluster on your chin one month, and your forehead the next, teaches you that the universe’s cruelty is based in randomness.

That the more you fiddle with them the worse they get teaches you that there are things beyond your control, and that sometimes doing nothing is the best course of action.

And that the age of pimples tends to segue seamlessly into the age of wrinkles is fate’s cruellest joke of all.

But, as the Dalai Lama would almost certainly say if one were to broach the subject of engorged pores with him:

With suffering comes empathy.

Today’s girls, with their expensive washes made from the acidic bile of endangered animals, or their home laser therapy kits, or personal beautician with a flair for blackhead removal, no longer know what it is to suffer being non-beautiful.

And for that I curse you, beautiful girls. May you at least once in your life wake up to a ragged mountain range of flaming zits.

• Tim says:

01:30pm | 15/11/11

I have no idea what in the hell that was about.

Can someone translate?

• marley says:

01:41pm | 15/11/11

@Tim - she had zits as a teenager and is still bitter about it.  But having acne gave her important life lessons which today’s teenagers are missing out on.  A curse be upon them.

• Erick says:

01:46pm | 15/11/11

I think it’s some sort of Secret Women’s Business. Such things are not for the eyes of men!

• Giraffe says:

01:47pm | 15/11/11

? Something about beautiful girls.

You know, my partner thinks my perception of beautiful is unrealistic, and my critique of various ‘normal women’ is a bit rough. I prove I am in fact very realistic by showing her the Victoria’s secret show - look at all those beautiful women, all in one place! I’m not unrealistic at all,
      If Adrian Lima can do it, so can you!

• tbdanny says:

01:48pm | 15/11/11

I think it’s along the lines of ‘that which doesn’t kill us makes us stronger’.  In this case, Tory’s arguing that suffering from not always looking seamlessly beautiful gives us empathy.  Futhermore, those pampered girls who are always looking gorgeous haven’t experienced that suffering, and so don’t have that empathy.

At least, that’s my interpretation.

• St. Michael says:

01:52pm | 15/11/11

In broad terms, it’s why women will never win the male/female debate: because they’re still too busy knifing each other in the back.  Over fucking zits.

• Leggy says:

02:21pm | 15/11/11

OMG, for once I found one of Erick’s comments amusing!

• Auckmed says:

02:29pm | 15/11/11

It’s the idea that people who are naturally beautiful from a young age are usually under the impression that everyone gets the preferential treatment that good looking people get.

Then when something negative happens to them they get upset because they don’t realise they’ve been getting an easy ride the whole time.

It’s true…but the article is overly bitter.

• MarkS says:

02:43pm | 15/11/11

• Bruce says:

03:58pm | 15/11/11

Giraffe: Yep ! Victoria’s secret does it for me. Adriana Lima, Oh Yeh !!

• Erick says:

04:47pm | 15/11/11

@MarkS - “Secrets man was not meant to know, should come with a warning, LOOK AWAY NOW IF MALE”

Absolutely. Now that we’ve read it, we’re unclean.

Thanks a lot, Tory.

Only the Sacred Ritual of the Grog can save us now.

• Peter says:

05:48pm | 15/11/11

He he, another bitter and twisted old biddy with an axe to grind.

• AdamC says:

01:35pm | 15/11/11

Female jealousy is really, really ugly. It makes me relieved to be a man.

• Sad Sad Reality says:

02:49pm | 15/11/11

“Men are by nature merely indifferent to one another; but women are by nature enemies.”

Arthur Schopenhauer

• AdamC says:

03:07pm | 15/11/11

SSR, I tend to the view that men are conditioned to compete with each other constructively: think sport, the arts, making money, climbing mountains, arm wrestling, going to the moon, etc. Meanwhile, society tends to expect women to compete destructively: think looking pretty, being catty, having a rich husband, etc.

• Kika says:

03:15pm | 15/11/11

Very true. Some of my closest friends I have I hated at first. I ended up becoming close friends with my bridesmaid after we both started working at the same employer on the same day. I got to work and she was standing out the front. I couldn’t ignore her so I went up and was friendly… because I had to! Not because I wanted to. Turns out we had HEAPS in common and ended up becoming good good mates.

Girls are weird!

• B says:

01:37pm | 15/11/11

Haha. Brilliant.

• Tory Shepherd

Tory Shepherd says:

02:10pm | 15/11/11

I’m glad someone found me amusing - it frightens me when people take me seriously!

• Anne71 says:

12:26pm | 16/11/11

It’s okay, Tory. Some of us have a sense of humour wink

• Seth Brundle says:

03:09pm | 16/11/11

I imagine its not something you suffer very often.

• Anne71 says:

05:04pm | 16/11/11

Well, Seth, I’m guessing I “suffer” from it far more than you do, judging by your lame and petty little remark.

• Mark G says:

01:37pm | 15/11/11

I like the fact that these comps always have token representatives from non-AngloSaxon groups. There is one African and one token girl of questionable descent (im not sure if she is south pacific or maybe even subcontinent?). My point is I hate the whole attempt at being PC that these comps have even though they are about as far from PC as you can get.

• baal says:

04:29pm | 15/11/11

Or maybe in a multi ethnic society there will be some hot women not from anglo saxon heritage.
      I find it interesting you try and guess the race of non whites. Do you care if the other girl are more celtic than anglo saxon? Is it only the ones with a tone not like your own who you question as to whethe or not they belong or were included because of pc reasons rather than talent.
      Demographics are numbers in action and reflect themselves everywhere.

• Anne71 says:

12:33pm | 16/11/11

Baal, you have a point but you also have to admit that PC is everywhere these days. Take the television series “Merlin”, for example. The future Queen Guinevere is not only a servant but also - a Woman of Colour!!!  Still, at least we can be grateful that they left it there. They might have given her a wooden leg and made her a lesbian as well.  Take THAT, White Male Mythology!!!
      And yes, before the outraged spluttering commences, I am being facetious.

• dave says:

01:42pm | 15/11/11

man the girls in those photos really dont look their age.. i wonder how their fathers feel?

• GOLD says:

02:18pm | 15/11/11

They dont have fathers. Thats why they are allowed to enter the competition

• Brendan says:

01:48pm | 15/11/11

@Tim.. This is just some bitter person writing about how they are too lazy and cheap to spend the money to make themselves look and feel better…  the writer should spent more time actually looking at what would make them feel more complete as a person (both inside and out) rather than worrying about what others would think.. Im sure it would make the writer much happier with themself, rather than direct their personal anger at others through cliche stereotypes… really your not missing much..

• old timer says:

06:11pm | 15/11/11

One day they will learn that beauty alone will not get them through life: they too will be become old and wrinkled and tired like the rest of us. Brains last, beauty fades. I never had the looks but have led a very successful, happy life, and at 55 I work for a boss who thinks I’m fantastic.

• Seth Brundle says:

03:16pm | 16/11/11

Yeah I bet Elle McPherson deeply regrets all the years she pissed away modelling rather than getting that Masters Degree in Sociology or whatever.
      By the time a successful model starts getting wrinkles, one would presume they are in a far better position in life than most of the rest of us will ever achieve.
      Oh, brains dont last, either.

• RED says:

01:51pm | 15/11/11

While reading this I noticed a rather large lump developing on the side of my face. Do you have any of that endangered animal bile at all?

• Twilight Sparkle says:

02:06pm | 15/11/11

I had wonderful clear skin when I was a teenager, with nary a spot in sight.

Now I’m 31 and have monthly breakouts. And grey hair. Either I’m old enough to have grey hair or old enough to stop breaking out. Make up your mind, body!

• Jane2 says:

03:29pm | 15/11/11

Your not alone TS. Its another one of life’s great jokes. Hair dye can save you from one but all the antibacterial face washing in the world can not save you from the other.

• no more says:

04:34pm | 15/11/11

Benzac AC. Google it and have a look. I use the 10% cream at night. They also do face washes etc, but in my experience, nothing beats the cream. Just ask your local pharmacist for it (the 10% one is behind the counter…there are weaker ones on the shelves).

• Dan says:

07:27pm | 15/11/11

Hearing you in FM, Twilight.  Its so freaking annoying!

• Economist says:

02:08pm | 15/11/11

LMFAO, watching the video attached how do you make your personality shine? Is it out of your backside.

Yes, pimples are the great equaliser, but fortunately you grow out of them, then your basic genetic makeup takes over.

• Big Al says:

02:58pm | 15/11/11

I am 30 and still waiting to grow out of them,since the age of 14 they have tormented me… lol I have to say since having kids they have improved and are no where near as painful! Now the grey hair is making a show too…haha.. It has been never ending for me. Oh well, there are more important things in life any way though it would have been nice to get that gorgeous flawless smooth skin. I would not wish acne on my worst enemy!

• Kate says:

09:33am | 16/11/11

I agree Big Al, I’m 23 and have had them since age 12! Thankfully they’re nowhere near as bad now, otherwise I’d be considering drastic measures.

• Sash says:

02:10pm | 15/11/11

Bravo. I’ve grown up with psoriasis, a skin problem which affects my entire body. I can’t wear short sleeves, even on 40 degree days, because I’m fearful of being looked at like a leper. As a girl now in my 20’s, I’ve had to grow up in amongst these perfectly preened girls who make themselves up just to go grov\cery shopping, looking magazine-perfect all the time.

Am I sooking? Jealous? Yes, of course I am. I +1 your curse, Tory.

• redvixen says:

03:29pm | 15/11/11

On the bright side, if you’re wearing long sleeves all the time you’ve got less chance of getting skin cancer!

But I wish for your sake you could - wear short sleeves that is, not get skin cancer.

• Dana says:

04:54pm | 15/11/11

I feel for you. I suffer the same.
      Also due to my hayfever I always get eye infections which make me look high all the time.

• Blemish-Free says:

02:21pm | 15/11/11

I never got pimples, not even in the height of puberty. Envy me, Ms Shepherd.

• Human says:

06:36am | 17/11/11

Blemish-Free posted a perfect example of what we are talking about.  Was that meant to be irony?  But what it really is - a lack of empathy, and thinly veiled by self-justification.  There is nothing wrong with being beautiful, or not beautiful, but lack of compassion is harder to justify.

• Bee says:

02:22pm | 15/11/11

well, lets also keep in mind that there is a world of other pressures and weirdness to deal with that history (nay, evolution itself) has not prepared these ‘princesses’ for. Global scale comparisons (instead of village-scale) with regard to beauty, athletic abilities, intellect, fame, riches etc.. are all causes for the growing problem of depression in youth today. Also fame itself - since when did a young woman in a small town do something that people millions of miles away mocked her for, only minutes later?? Recipe for suicide. Oh, and we tape it,  twitter it,and then slot it into Wikipedia…  so there’s no denying it. Lets also not forget the world of vultures just waiting to prey on them (agencies, managers, media etc) which combined with the pressures of looking awesome all the time, will induce some anxiety disorder (which which will lead to self medication/eating disorder etc).

I think for every comment that insinuates things are going ‘downhill these days’, there is also some argument for the opposite. Feel free to argue that these girls have it ‘too easy’ and aren’t ‘learning lessons’ while I would argue most are taking on far more than they will ever know how to chew.

• Bee says:

02:23pm | 15/11/11

• Peter says:

02:24pm | 15/11/11

Actually Tory, you’re a bit of a hottie.  But then again, maybe that’s because they’ve airbrushed out the zits.

• VVS says:

05:06pm | 15/11/11

Black and white profile pic, Pete. Can turn a 5/10 into an 8/10.

Enough said.

• Chris L says:

05:55pm | 15/11/11

@VVS - there’s been a colour shot from a high angle on the news.com.au site that has Tory looking prenty spunky.

• Tubesteak says:

03:38pm | 15/11/11

and earn 6 figures in a “cool” profession. Or more than 6 figures by developing a “cool” business.

• Outraged says:

02:29pm | 15/11/11

Women are their own worst enemy! Instead of supporting other women…they are tearing them down! No wonder girls have “low self-esteem” because of articles like this. It’s damned-if-they-do, damned-if-they-don’t…yet women still find a way to blame men for women’s low self-esteem!

Don’t be a Hater, Tori!

Meanwhile, when are we going to get an article about the unrealistic body images that BOYS worship? Young men are now hitting the gym 7-days a week…taking steroids…to look like Vin Diesel at 15…when a man’s body isn’t meant to look like that until mid-30s…and it takes a lot more work…all chicks have to do is be thin to look “hot”...I wish I had their problems!

• Markus says:

02:59pm | 15/11/11

I call BS on the fearmongering for boy issues too though.
      Hitting the gym 7 days a week is not actually bad for you, provided you are doing it right.
      And the amount of young boys taking steroids is probably on par with the amount of girls suffering from Anorexia Nervosa - through all the hype and fearmongering of young girls with eating disorders, only about 1 in 50 girls actually suffer from it.

‘all chicks have to do is be thin to look “hot”’
      Agree with that, though. Barring some severely disfiguring deformity or skin condition, most girls could up their rating out of 10 just by being thin. Or even just thinner.

Tory did the ether steal mine and Fiddler’s previous comments? Was sure they were up earlier.

• Fiddler says:

05:21pm | 15/11/11

yes, where did my message end up? I saw it there earlier. Come on Tori, by my standards it was a fairly tame one

• Tory Shepherd

Tory Shepherd says:

06:02pm | 15/11/11

I don’t know about yours, Markus - but I took Fiddler’s down when I realised we were talking about 13-year-old girls. Bad Fiddler, bad!

• Fiddler says:

07:04pm | 15/11/11

@ Tori, didn’t look at the vid so didn’t realise. Scary when I have a 12 year old daughter too

• Natalie says:

02:39pm | 15/11/11

After reading these comments I must defend Tory.
      There is too much emphasis on physical perfection out there, many young girls do in fact think they are the centre of the universe, and the whole thing is increasingly sickening.
      No need to attack Tory, saying she is bitter. I translate it that she, like me, finds it all obsene: this obsession with beauty, fame, youth and whatever rubbish our superficial society thinks so important.
      Tory don’t lose heart, it was a very good article.

• Anne71 says:

12:48pm | 16/11/11

Exactly, Natalie. The comments saying “she’s just jealous” etc don’t realise the point of the article - that ultimately, beauty fades.  Occasionally you’ll come across t the lucky person who looks better as they get older, but for the rest of us, grey hair and gravity takes over. Yes, plastic surgery is available, but too much of that can look worse than none at all.
      So where will that leave these girls (and some guys) whose whole sense of self is bound up in their appearance? One day they’ll look in the mirror and see the person with the lines and the grey hairs as a hated stranger, not an old and trusted friend.  Personally, I couldn’t think of anything worse than that.

• Rossco says:

02:47pm | 15/11/11

Tory, I saw your colour photo on news.com.au today and i think you look like a hottie. Therefore you have nothing to worry about young lady.

wink

• Shane says:

02:54pm | 15/11/11

Haters gunna hate… you should no more get stuck into a girl for being skinny and pretty than for being fat and ugly… it’s the same thing…

• Paul says:

02:56pm | 15/11/11

@ Tory: That’s Gold! Personally, I go nuts for the girls with the big ole butts.

• bella starkey says:

02:58pm | 15/11/11

I new girls at school who were very pretty but also very plucked/waxed/dyed/tanned at a young age and tended to look older than the rest of us. They look like freaking drag queens now.

• Blind Freddy says:

09:26am | 16/11/11

Yes- the early seeders.

• Zeta says:

02:59pm | 15/11/11

Tory, generically attractive young women are like exotic cars. They look beautiful, but they’re uncomfortable to be inside of, and all the interesting, quirky parts are cut out to make them lighter. They don’t have radios. Or clocks. Or cigarette lighters. Or side air bags.

And once you get under the hood, you can see where all the corners were cut to churn them out quicker. They don’t last long, and if you thrash them too hard, they just fall apart.

Ultimately, their only purpose is to be acquired in vast numbers by exceptionally rich Russians who ride in them once, then keep them in a garage under a blanket.

• Alicia says:

06:04pm | 15/11/11

I didn’t realise I had side air bags or a cigarette lighter. Must search for those tonight.

• Jeremy says:

09:52am | 16/11/11

Right, cos all beautiful people are vapid fools and being less sightly suddenly makes you a wonderful, deep person?
      I think I guess which side you fall upon…

• Tchom says:

03:05pm | 15/11/11

Too much pie, that’s their problem

• scumbag says:

03:09pm | 15/11/11

Well I don’t believe you Tors, you are beautiful on the inside, and I love you, always. Mrs bag says you’re beautiful on the outside too.

• subotic says:

03:14pm | 15/11/11

Beautiful girls? Hell, I’m even more cheesed off at beautiful gay men. And the fact they can’t marry.

Not only do I believe that gay men should be allowed to be married, they should be forced to marry, coz I’m a little sick and tired of their happy-go-lucky lifestyles. They should have to suffer just like everybody else.

I’m fed up walking by these sidewalk cafes with these gay dudes, all tanned, fit (and some of these guys are 60 years old and still look great) and happy coz they don’t have someone sitting at home sucking the will to live right out of them.

Although I’m straight, I think being married to guy would be great. Imagine having a conversation, and having the words you said interpreted exactly the way you intended them to be interpreted. Wouldn’t that be a nice change of pace?

“Remember what you said 10 years ago when we were driving in the car on the way to my mother’s house?”

“No”

“Oh, me neither, coz I’m a dude. Never mind. I was about to make up some BS story but then I realised we were both dudes, so why torture each other with crap when we can just drive along in peace and have a great day?”

So. Not. Fair…

• JS says:

03:58pm | 15/11/11

um, relevance?

• Outraged says:

04:25pm | 15/11/11

LOL I am a gay dude…and can confirm it IS awesome!

I don’t envy you Straight Guys being married…and the dirty, little secret is that 99% of Gay People don’t even want “Gay Marriage”! Most of my friend shudder at the thought of being stuck with only one person for 70+ years! It is only a minority of loud-mouth, self-appointed “Gay Activists” who claim to speak on our behalf…

• Elizabeth1 says:

05:50pm | 15/11/11

Subotic - You can always get unmarried.

• Chris L says:

06:02pm | 15/11/11

@JS - Subotic was just trying to say that your funny bone needs time to mend.

Mind you, it’s true. If they didn’t have girl parts we wouldn’t talk to them, we’d just throw rocks at them. Someday we’ll be able to marry robots and the human race will become extinct within a generation.

• subotic says:

08:47am | 16/11/11

@Outraged, yea, go the “loud-mouth, self-appointed “Gay Activists” who claim to speak” on your behalf.

Love it when the militant sections of certain sections of the community go out and spoil the whole goddamn sandpit for everyone. Can’t leave well enough alone….

Nice to see the fearless stand up and kick the elite few fair in the goo cannon.

• wearestardust says:

03:21pm | 15/11/11

Send them to the iphone mines.  And chihuahuas may make good purse accessories, but they are useless as shovels.

• B says:

03:27pm | 15/11/11

You know when I get pimples? When I eat a lot of junk food. Do the math.

• K says:

04:06pm | 15/11/11

You know when I get pimples? Just before my period.  Do the math.

• Sandle says:

04:57pm | 15/11/11

You know when I get pimples? Right after sex. Do the math.

(this could turn out to be a fun game….)

• Sickemrex says:

07:47pm | 15/11/11

I’ll play! You know when I get pimples? The last week of the pill packet. You do the math.

• Fred says:

08:08pm | 15/11/11

I’d only not get pimples if I lived on water and lettuce.

I’m in my 30s and I still get them, some people can eat whatever they want, never eat a piece of fruit ever, and never get a zit.

But it should pay off when I’m 60, I’ll have relatively smooth skin whilst those other people look crusty. Awesome.

• Jason says:

03:30pm | 15/11/11

To hell with the political correctness.

Sex sells, and sex is usually associated with attractive people, in particular attractive women. This is fact, any attempt to suppress this, is suppressing your subconscious desires.

Fact -  You are more likely to buy something from or favour an attractive person.

For those of you who are going to be determined to argue that point, I challenge you to go find an attractive friend and send them to get a quote on an item, and then get someone to see the same salesperson who you would consider unattractive (make sure they are the same gender).

The majority of the time, the more attractive person will get a better discount and much better service.

As people it is in our nature to make judgements, even though they are mostly subconscious, those judgements do happen and we do adjust our behaviour based on those judgements.

• Chris L says:

06:05pm | 15/11/11

That’s true. I stopped to have a chat to a pretty girl during my lunch break and ended up with weekly payments to greenpeace coming out of my account.

• Jason says:

06:21pm | 15/11/11

Yes you have to be careful of those ones Chris!

• Steve says:

03:38pm | 15/11/11

What cruel sadness and dispair young girls must go through each morning as they consider their face in the mirror.

So much of their fate beyond their control,  so much easier to be pretty than plain.

Glad I’m a male.  We’re starting to get the same pressures but still a long way behind.

• Elizabeth1 says:

05:37pm | 15/11/11

spot on Steve -  I am watching young men succumb to the same pressures. It wont be long before as much status is accorded to looks in men as it has and is in women.  Anorexia is increasing, grooming is definitely on the up and bodies are buffed.  I am amazed how good looking young men are these days.  But at what personal cost.

• Katy says:

03:50pm | 15/11/11

I didn’t get dreadful acne, however I did have a full metal mouth, bad hair and glasses as a teenager.  And it is horrible growing up thinking that you are not one of the “beautiful people”.

04:25pm | 15/11/11

So how’s the bassoon going ?

• Bitten says:

04:06pm | 15/11/11

I am a shameless admirer of beauty - in men, women, it doesn’t matter, if you’re beautiful, I’m going to look and enjoy baby.

I won’t give a rat’s crap about your personality, your opinions, or indeed anything that makes it way from your brain to your mouth in the form of speech, but I will be thinking “...ooooohhhh…pretty…..”

• Vicki PS says:

04:12pm | 15/11/11

Tori, from one who endured the agonies of the not-beautiful a generation before yours, let me just add:
      -  Toni home perms
      -  Dippity-Do
      -  Clearasil
      -  sanitary belts
      -  step-ins and garter belts
      -  Vidal Sassoon and Mary Quant
      -  bloody rotten Jean Shrimpton and bloody Twiggy!

I wouldn’t be 15 again for quids!

• Dan says:

04:25pm | 15/11/11

Do dumb girls get jealous of smart girls or is it all about the looks with them.

Tory, don’t worry you are attractive. You’re probably not as hot as the SkyNews sports girl but you’re still pretty hot anyways.

• Sizzle Chest says:

04:27pm | 15/11/11

Ageing will sort them out in the end. Going from being a head-turner to a stomach-turner will bring you crashing back down to earth. Except of course for those pitiful old ones who see a hot “cougar” when they look in mirror, but are laughed at by the young guys they think they attract. Some of them even get zits !

• Elizabeth1 says:

05:57pm | 15/11/11

I actually think it might be a bit of a relief not to have the pressure.  One of the best things about moving into my 50’s was that I am now invisible to a lot of men. The attention I get now is much more appropriate and flattering than any of the attention I got in my 20’s.

• Elizabeth1 says:

06:56pm | 15/11/11

sizzle chest - I should have added 30’s and 40’s.  From my experience men aren’t that fussy.  As long as you look fit and trim your fair game. In fact I get better preferential treatment now than when I was young fit size 8 blonde with even features and straight teeth (ha ha but true).  Back then there was only angst from women and the only men who offered preferential treatment wanted something.  If they didn’t feel that was on the cards I would hedge a bet they went out of their way to prove that I was not going to get special treatment.  I might have looked good but life was not what people go on about. Only cocky dicks asked me out. No nice guys.

• TrueOz says:

05:02pm | 15/11/11

“We must recognise that the suffering of one person or one nation is the suffering of humanity.” The Dalai Lama

What a bunch of crap! What we must recognise is that an old bloke, wearing an orange dress and sandals, needs to learn to shop at a decent menswear store!

• Seth Brundle says:

03:37pm | 16/11/11

The Dalai Lama is one of many public figures who are considered wise whose words of wisdom rarely withstand critical analysis (Mother Teresa is another).  The quote you provided is a perfect example.  These people are rarely criticised because doing so is considered tabboo.  You are not supposed to question what they say, just accept it.  After all, he wears robes and shaves his head.

• Kim says:

05:50pm | 15/11/11

Look, there is nothing wrong with looking good. I take pride in making sure that I always look put-together and presentable.
      The thing that bothers me is that these days, girls seem to think that so long as they are pretty, they’ll get away with anything. They feel entitled because of the way they look.

• michael j says:

05:59pm | 15/11/11

enough to make me fantasise about cursing them all with pustulent pimple outbreak,, Hells Bells me thinks you could be one Nasty Bitch if you wanted to
      TORY ,,if your photo does you justice , you seem to be holding you own pretty well,,,

• TheHuntress says:

06:50pm | 15/11/11

Ah, yes I often wonder why I didn’t get to look like today’s Amazonian goddesses when I was 15. Why, oh, why was my hair so thick and unmanageable, my boobs so freaking big, my legs so long and awkward, tripping overthemselves all the time. If only I had hair straighteners, bra’s that fitted and a sense of co-ordination like all the pretty popular girls. But on the plus side of it all at 30 (and after a child) I still get offers of dates on a very regular basis from men of all ages, frequently get told I look waaayyyyy too young to have a child and now have the money to clothe that (hourglass) body I loathed with some amazing frocks. It would be pretty sad to peak in your teens and spend the rest of your life going downhill from there, so with that thought I’m not so angry and hateful anymore, I just took a bit longer to blossom, I guess?

• Luke says:

07:17pm | 15/11/11

So… the beauty technology today, demanded by women, is now working against them?
      DEAL WITH IT…

• Older and wiser says:

08:18pm | 15/11/11

Loved this. It’s very, very important to learn empathy for others. I guess it’s why the age old conclusion of being a gorgeous teen is that there won’t be much going on upstairs. Yep, it’s a stereotype - but for me, it’s yet to be proven wrong. Pimples teach you humilty, wrinkles and love handles teach you that life is short - and there’s much more important things to worry about than your body. Great article x

• Leah says:

09:18pm | 15/11/11

ummm… what? Was this solely for the purpose of some bitter middle-aged woman ranting that some girls are beautiful?

Do you honestly think every beautiful girl in the world has never been through an ‘un-beautiful’ phase? Really? I suggest you go and Google images of famous models and actresses when they were 13 or 14. It’s an eye-opener.

• youdy beaudy says:

06:20am | 16/11/11

Look everybody, i think some of us are born and grow looking more physically beautiful than others but whether it is the norm i can’t say. This whole beauty thing that is promoted in girl and womens magazines and even with men is really very superficial and in many ways wrong as it gives a wrong impression to young women everywhere that if they don’t have certain attributes then somehow they are not worthwhile. The magazines feed on this like sharks and really need to up their game.

We know,  that too a mother and grandparents all kids are beautiful and they see the family looks and traits in their offspring which they regard highly, things like, gee, you look like your grandmother who was pretty at the same age and the boys handsome like their granddads and so forth.

So many young people may feel insecure because of this and then there is the peer pressure which in many cases particularly in families continues even for the rest of life. Zits and things like that are a product of hormonal change and can also be caused by worries and anxieties from peer pressure placed on kids.

As it was noted that depression and teenage suicide is increasing world wide and it is a sad senario for us all. Kids should be brought up to know that beauty really comes from within and really none of us if stripped down would pass the complete physiological beauty test. All of us have some physiological differences which can be seen, so perfection is not there in all of us.

Something like. Is a larger girl or woman less beautiful than a slim or skinny girl. Well my experience is that large or small, zits and all, there is beauty in all of he kids. I tell my granddaughter who is only young how beautiful and clever she is as one should regardless of circumstances and this, i feel should be said by all of us to our children and grandchildren to encourage them and tell them that physical features don’t make a brain and that it is all temporary anyway.

Magazines should take more care in how they promote beauty to the young. And the young should stop this rubbish of looking down on their peers because they may think that they in some way have attributes that are better. Most of us are regular, it’s after all a genetic thing but everyones life is special regardless of the false spin they put on it. Lady ga ga has a song she sings in regard to how her mother told her that even tho she was different she was unique and special maybe kids should listen to lady ga ga. Hey!

• NESLIHAN KUROSAWA says:

06:35am | 16/11/11

Hi Tory,

They are suffering, because??  I personally think that we put far too much importance & emphasis on just being beautiful.  It may sound a bit harsh, but I would like to know, what other qualities these good looking young people also should possess in order to get anywhere in life!!  Trusting the fact that just being beautiful might open all doors in life, is a very old & preconceived idea, which is by the way determined by our environment.

I was brought up to believe that especially girls do need education, life experience & other skills besides the fact that they were born beautiful!!  Most certainly attractive people will get the extra attention which happens to be good & bad as well as standing out from the rest of the crowd!!

You might look at it anyway, you choose to, I guess!!  However, I do agree with some of your replies, that being too attractive might actually work against them.  Beauty is only skin deep!! I really think that very young girls should really think twice before deciding seeking more attention & craving to be successful, would actually be enough??

Now more than ever, we all have to realize that especially very young women at this technology age, need to have clear cut plans, career paths, work opportunities!!  Because those days are gone forever, where you would rely on your partner’s income for the rest of your life!!  And the sole purpose of our existence to be just mothers with limited choices.

Even in Hollywood stars make investments to guarantee their future, because they are also aware of the fact that beauty does not last forever!!  Especially, very young girls all dreamy eyed wanting to be the part of these so called beauty contests & competitions are ideal targets for some characters.  They are exposed to all this external factors for the sole purpose of marketing certain products as well as giving these young hopefuls false hope & sometimes which might lead to a total disappointment, unfortunately!!  Best regards to your editors

• Jeremy says:

10:01am | 16/11/11

I told my girlfriend, who was dolling up for her friends birthday, how great she looked. She told me, it wasn’t so important what I thought, girls dress up to impress other girls.
      So true…

p.s. There will always be pretty and ugly, smart and dumb, athletic and ?..not. Often people are born that way, some will work for it. Some will take advantage of what they get and others will squander it.
      If everyone was of equal intelligence and drive, beauty etc, we’d have an impossible time keeping anything like the society we have now.