Should vegetables be served free in restaurants? That question was posed by health writer Paula Goodyer this week as an incentive to encourage people to make better food choices.

Would you like some free vegetables with that? Photo:Herald Sun.

It’s a good idea in theory. Mostly because we really should be doing everything we can to help each other make better food choices, especially when we’re eating out. But that doesn’t mean that everything healthy for us should be free, or that we should be relying on other people to do the right thing for our health.

If that were the case then restaurants would also have to stop charging for fish, lean cuts of meat and low-fat diary products, and where would that leave the farmers who put all that time, energy and love into harvesting healthful food.

The other issue here is shifting the responsibility for healthy eating onto someone else. And the idea that we need a financial reward or external support mechanism to make us look after ourselves.

The Mayor of New York City, Michael Bloomberg has recently jumped on this bandwagon by proposing a restaurant ban for any soft drink over 16-ounces in size. Again, on the surface of things, this seems like a sensible idea. Soft drinks are one the biggest health evils because people consume them with food. They are a hidden calorie minefield, with an average of ten teaspoons of sugar in every can. But will enforcing health changes like this one, be effective in the long term?

Unlikely, says Brian Wansink and John S. Dyson in yesterday’s The Atlantic. The two professors from Cornell University, who have written a book on the behaviour behind mindless eating, say that when people are forced into eating less, or given fewer food choices, their natural instinct is to rebel and actually eat more of the forbidden food.

They say Bloomberg’s proposal will backfire because if someone is forced into ordering a small soft drink, they’ll end up ordering a second, or even a third, despite themselves, just to assert control.

That’s because the key to making healthier choices all comes down to self control. Michelle Bridges, the personal trainer from the Biggest Loser series says that in her experience, the only thing stopping people from losing weight and eating better is self-determination. In other words, we’ll only be successful in making changes to our diet and sticking to them, if we are the ones who decide to be healthier everyday.

It’s the same kind of thinking that we often hear from people who’ve managed to quit smoking after a lifetime of attempts at kicking the habit. How many times have you heard someone say that the only thing that really helped them in the end was to decide for themselves that they wanted to quit?

The same rules apply to healthy eating. Food and drink bans like Mayor Bloomberg is proposing will come and go, but nothing will really change unless we decide to get our minds in gear and just make better food and healthier living choices for ourselves.

Follow me on Twitter: @lucyjk

Don’t miss it: Get Weekend Punch in your inbox every Sunday

• Little Joe says:

06:28am | 16/06/12

Morbidly obese people are responsible for their own weight .... unfortunately society has become responsible for their health.

A 200kg person who has chosen continuously shovelled high fat, high calorific food into their body without doing an appropriate levels of exercise can appear at any hospital and demand ‘free’ medical ...... choking the system. Because of the increased frequency of this occurrence, billions of dollars are being spent on re-engineering the health system ..... from ambulances and hospitals ...... through to morgues.

Australia must introduce a fat tax, just like Tobacco Excise and associate state tobacco taxes,  that raises $10B-$20B to force these Australians to become responsible for their weight.

• Angry Fat Bitch says:

04:00pm | 16/06/12

Why am I not surprised that this crap popped up on the first reply?

Seriously - use your brain here. A fat tax WILL NOT WORK. Want to know how I know? Since you brought it up, lets use the example of tobacco excise.

Tobacco excise is a band-aid solution. The government raises the price of ciggies, they rake in some extra tax, and they tell the public they’re doing something to help. But people don’t actually stop smoking. They keep paying the price, no matter how high, because they are addicted. No one quits smoking because of the price of a pack of Marlboros. It might be why they attempt it, but it’s generally not a strong enough motivator to keep people off them for good.

Food is the same. Introduce a fat tax and people who do weigh 200kg will pay the extra 50c for a cheeseburger, because their body is screaming out for all that fat, sugar and salt they have become addicted to. They won’t lose a gram because of the tax, but the government will get to pat themselves on the back for “helping” and then get to find ways to spend that 50c they rake in from every cheeseburger.

I agree that free vegies in restaurants isn’t going to help anyone either (although it’d be nice… I for one am sick of being ripped off for some greens with my meal!) but if society is really serious about beating this thing it’s going to take more than a band-aid solution in the form of a tax that won’t actually achieve anything.

• Don says:

05:22pm | 16/06/12

Fat tax? What next? Thought tax? Exercise tax? Fart tax? Tax tax tax. For the record I am not in any way overweight but I don’t think that a fat tax is the answer.

• Jane2 says:

05:57pm | 16/06/12

A fat tax wont work because people are already paying 10% more tax for processed and prepackaged, including fast food, than fresh food.

The GST proves that the fat tax wont work, else everyone would be choosing to buy the healthy tax free fresh option and wouldnt be getting fat!

• Back away from the cake says:

05:59pm | 16/06/12

Actually, Angry Fat Bitch, raising the price of cigarettes has demonstrable effects on decreasing the number of people who smoke. Do a little research.

I personally quit when the ole Winnie Blues reached $5/pack. The price increase was the sole reason.

I say tax cigarettes even more, and tax these fatties too.

But I we need more than just the stick of price increases. I think public humiliation of fatties should be mandatory.

• Little Joe says:

07:13am | 17/06/12

@ Fat Angry Bitch

Why am I not surprised that a person named “Fat Angry Bitch” would be against a Fat Tax?? Of course you don’t want to pay for something that you can make somebody else pay for ...... of course you want to make excuses for why you shouldn’t pay more tax to cover your medical expenses ...... of course you don’t want to take responsibility for your own life ...... this is the new socialist Australia!!!

The point is I don’t care how fat people are nor, for that matter, how angry people are ..... if people want to be 200kg that is their choice ..... I really don’t care!!! It’s just that I would like these people to be responsible for their decisions and to pay more to help cover the social costs of their decisions ..... just like smokers ..... just like drinkers.

My “Fat Tax” is quite simple.

1) Increase Medicare by 2%.

Every Australian can claim this money back with their tax return after they complete a health check ...... including weight, blood pressure, etc etc. All people receive a certificate noting if they are very overweight or morbidly obese (yes there will be other factors). This can be submitted with their tax return, with people who are below the ‘very overweight’ threshold able to claim 100% of the 2% increase, people who are ‘very overweight’ able to claim 50% of the 2% increase, while morbidly obese people receive nothing.

Imagine ..... a morbidly obese person on $50,000/pa would pay an extra $1,000 Tax. That is a fair contribution.

Parents with overweight children would not be able to access Family Payments or have payments reduced. Pensioners within target health bands would be able to claim bonus payments. Of course there will be exceptions.

Yes, there would tax increases on particular foods and drinks ..... targeting the usual suspects plus chocolate bars, chips, soft drinks, pizzas etc etc.

It is actually quite fair and simple.

• Adrian says:

09:44am | 17/06/12

Angry Fat Bitch, you are wrong. Plain and simple. Most of the people I know, as well as myself, quit smoking because of the increase in prices. This was over 10 years ago when they started to really hike them. Do some simple research.

And yes, I do think a fax tax could work. At the end of the day, if the healthy side dish is cheaper than the chips, are you seriously telling me that you would not take the healthy option? I know I would have when I was massive. It was just a simple fact that it was cheaper and more convenient for me to buy fatty fast foods.

I think education in how to cook quick, simple, healthy meals would be much more affective though. Most of the people that I know that are big use the same excuses I used to in that regard. Its too hard, too expensive, takes too much time to eat healthy.

BS, just do it!

• Hambone says:

09:55am | 17/06/12

@little joe, when I was 14 I weighed 110kg and I knew I was fat. I was constantly teased and ridiculed, had no friends and it stole many years from me. I was always told to eat everything on my plate, no excuses. Looking back on what I was served, I was eating probably three times the daily recommended calorie intake for an adult. I wasn’t a stupid child though, I knew what calories were and realised I was eating too many. I would throw my lunch away and tell my mother how good it was when I got home, something I am still ashamed of doing. It was the only thing I could control. Sometimes people don’t choose to shovel the food into their system so don’t tar us all with the same brush, that really hurts. I am just now managing to get my weight down to average levels in my late twenties but I know that some serious damage has been done. I think that more education is the key, not just in schools either, but an extensive series of advertisements and free seminars around the country. We also need to remove the stigma of overweight people exercising, being bullied mercilessly for not being fit enough to play sports puts a solid mental connection of Exercise=Worst Thing To Do in your mind. We have women only gyms, how about weight loss only gyms? Nothing worse than trying to work out next to someone who is trying to kiss their own reflection in the mirror! I also think that we should allow plastic surgery after weight loss to have a rebate or government subsidy. One of my major concerns with losing weight was looking baggy and unattractive, which has happened but not as badly as I expected.
      At the end of the day, once I moved out and took control of my own life, I became responsible for my weight and my own wellbeing and I would support a fat tax on fast foods with high calorific content from fat.

• PaxUs says:

10:55am | 17/06/12

Choking the system?  I think that government do a fine job of that without help from people with weight problems or those who are happy with their ‘larger’ size.  Now the Tahitian prince, while not overweight, was definitely ‘choking the system’.  It’s called corruption and he was just the tip of a very big iceberg.

• Angry Fat Bitch says:

11:10am | 17/06/12

@Back Away From The Cake - so you are one example of a person who quit based on price, and that alone is your justification for implying I’m ignorant and need to “do a little research”? I can name at least ten people I know who tried to quit when prices went up, but didn’t manage it because they still enjoyed smoking. You can’t quit until you’re ready, it’s just a fact of life, and acknowleding that doesn’t make me ignorant.

@Little Joe - actually it’s not fair and it’s not simple.

For one, it’s been statistically shown that bigger people tend to be lower wage earners. It won’t be people on $50K paying your tax, it’ll be people whose budgets are already stretched to the limit. It’s hard enough for these people to fork out the hefty costs for Weight Watchers meetings and gym memberships, making them even poorer will only make it even harder for them to help themselves (because weight loss help isn’t cheap, and isn’t subsidised like quit smoking aids), so the medical risks associated with being obese will still kill them one day. Only difference will be you’ll feel a little better about them dying because they paid a little more than you to the health system.

But also - fat isn’t necessarily what makes people fat. Any food, even fruit, when eaten to excess is going to make people overweight. Energy in vs evergy out. Even if your fat tax does magically reduce the intake of fat, there’s still plenty of other ways for people to overeat. A packet of marshmallows proudly declares it’s fat free, but eat the whole packet and you’ll still get fat. Taxing fat isn’t going to teach moderation or nutrition. So once again it doesn’t make obesity go away, just makes people like you fool yourself that your taxes are going somewhere you want them to go.

Seriously - saying you don’t want your taxes to help obese people because you’re not overweight is like me saying mine shouldn’t pay for police and prisons because I’ve never committed a crime. Should overweight people take responsibility for their health? Logically, yes they should. But logically people should also obey the law, and they choose not to the same way a fat person chooses to eat cake, so we have police for the good of society as a whole. If helping people lose weight will benefit society as a whole (which it will) then it’s at least worth considering, regardless of how superior you think you are just because you think you’re healthy.

And for the record, the name’s Angry Fat Bitch, not Fat Angry Bitch… and this Angry Fat Bitch is a lot less fat than she used to be. I don’t expect the government to save me from myself, I pay my own way at the gym, I see a food coach, I managed to quit my addiction to Coca-Cola, and I take responsibility for my own food choices. But I don’t pretend for a second that this makes me any better than anyone else. It took me many years, and many failed attempts to get where I am today. There was a time when I was broke, and the situation felt hopeless because I couldn’t afford the help I needed. I wouldn’t wish that on anyone, and it disgusts me that others would to make themselves feel superior.

• Little Joe says:

06:13pm | 17/06/12

@ Fat Angry Bitch

Once again we see the socialist response. Poor me ..... I am overweight and poor!!! Sorry FAB but it doesn’t work that way.

If we put $1.00 Tax on a bottle of soft drink maybe you would choose to less soft drink. If we put $0.50 Tax on a packet of chips maybe you would choose to less packet of chips. If we put $0.50 Tax on a chocolate bars maybe you would choose to buy less chocolate bars.

If we increased your tax bill by $20/week maybe you would choose to walk up a couple of hills in the afternoon.

Unfortunately you don’t want to do this because this would simply restrict you ability to maximise your calorific intake. It is actually quite sad the way you think.

But when I read your statement “A packet of marshmallows proudly declares it’s fat free, but eat the whole packet and you’ll still get fat.” I begin to understand how ignorant you really are!!!

Ps. Soft drink doesn’t have fat in it either!!!

• year of the dragon says:

07:11pm | 17/06/12

@ Fat Angry Bitch

“Once again we see the socialist response.”

Coming from someone who’s proposing a tax and government regulating body size and personal health that’s a bit rich.

• daniel says:

08:17pm | 17/06/12

Why don’t we just remove the free health care for obese or obesityr related illness? Then regular people aren’t punished when they want to buy a treat of delicious chocolate.

Unless maybe we introduce a fat person tax. The checkout person looks you up and down and decides if you should pay an extra 20% on your fatty foods, that’s another possibility

• Andrew says:

09:52pm | 17/06/12

Little Joe, socialist response, do you even know what a socialist is, your the socialist, your the one that wants the government to intervene. A fat tax wont work, not with the majority of people anyway, people eat fast food because its convienance or because they feel they dont have the time to cook, do you really think they wont pay an extra $1 or 2.

• Phill says:

12:11pm | 18/06/12

I love the way extremes always get used in these arguments.  200kg?  Fun fact for you, a person of around my average height (179cm ~5"11”) would be considered obese at 95kg.

• Mark says:

06:37am | 16/06/12

Absolutely agree Lucy! People are terrified of personal responsibility. If you are fat, it is not McDonald’s fault, it’s yours.

• Bruce says:

05:27pm | 16/06/12

Spot in “Mark”. You would think some how, that fast food outlets force food down peoples throats !

• cheap white trash says:

07:05am | 16/06/12

Who is really responsible for our good health?

WE ARE,end of story.
      Can we please stop blaming others for our mistakes in Life,we are who we are.
      So take Responsibility for your own actions,and dont blame others,and as for the state butting in to our Lives,can you please F off.

• rat says:

09:37am | 16/06/12

Even if it is the state who bares the cost?

• James In Footscray says:

10:33am | 16/06/12

Interesting Rat. Fat taxes were originally a condescending ‘the State will look after you because you can’t’ intervention - but now they’re a type of punishment?

• craig2 says:

07:40am | 16/06/12

I promote type two diabetes drugs to GP’s and it’s fast becoming the number one issue, just behind CV, in western society. When I look into the pipeline of molecules to treat T2D’s into the future, i’m telling you punchers right now, start sorting out your lifestyles as there is nothing that we pharma can do to reverse this disease. We can only do so much for you and the Doctors are fed up with you lot who come back again and again, complaining even though you were given and have ignored your Drs advice to change your lifestyle. In the end, it’s easy money for pharma, shame really.

• Mack says:

11:52am | 16/06/12

Exactly. People just want to take a pill and then continue on with their unhealthy lifestyle. People would not have to take medication for the rest of their lives if they accepted a bit of responsibility for their own health. In fact, I think that some people wear it as a badge of honour that they are on heart medication or cholesterol lowering medication for the rest of their lives - look at me! I’m REALLY sick…....I suppose it helps in getting a disability pension, tho.

• health worker says:

02:41pm | 16/06/12

Too right. I get sick of chain-smoking couch potatoes whining about their health. Oh, ask them to pay for their own medicines and then you’ll hear whining!

• Diana says:

08:39pm | 16/06/12

Look into the stats for veganism and type-2. It is virtually unheard of. Vegan is the way to go. People don’t want to hear that, though. They’d rather keep eating animal products and then take drugs to fix completely preventable diseases.

• Frank says:

07:41am | 16/06/12

The government is responsible for our good health, we have no responsibility for ourselves.

• Joan says:

08:21am | 16/06/12

Should vegetables be served free in restaurants? Using that logic then Super markets and fruit and veg markets, organic markets should all give out veg and fruit for free. There is no such thing as a free lunch and my mum always said ` don’t look at what `s on other peoples plate`  - mind your manners and look at what your eating. If kids finish high school and know nothing of basics of healthy diet then education has failed again

• thatmosis says:

08:26am | 16/06/12

Couldn’t agree more Frank. It seems that those with problems, be it obesity or drinking or gambling believe the Government should help them to save them getting off their fat arse and ding something for themselves.
      In the end it is the persons responsibility to help themselves,(I know that is a concept that a lot of people cannot grasp, but that’s it).
        As for free vegetables in restaurants, I don’t think so as I would still order the fries with my meal as i am not a real vegie eater and the cost would be added on to whatever the meat dish was anyway.
        It doesn’t cost much to look after oneself and in the end actually saves money over the long run, be it on foods that you don’t have to buy or the price of medicines to combat the many diseases associated with incorrect eating.

• Little Joe says:

09:25am | 16/06/12

There would be no “free vegetables” (would vegetarians/vegans eat out for free), it would just be built into the cost of the steak/chicken/pork you just purchased.

• Bertrand says:

09:36am | 16/06/12

Thats a rather leftist view coming from you Joan… the state, through the Department of Education is responsible for teaching people how to eat properly?

I always thought the purpose of the education system was to teach people how to read and write, do maths, science, etc.

Child raising is the duty of parents not teachers.

• Craig says:

07:54am | 17/06/12

Bertrand, I went to school over 30 years ago. Health was taught back then and I am sure it still is now.

• Bertrand says:

10:35am | 17/06/12

@Craig - I’m sure health does form part of the PE curriculum.

However, surely if an 18 year old doesn’t know the difference between healthy and unhealthy eating the primary blame lies squarely with the parents, not the education system.

• thatmosis says:

12:06pm | 17/06/12

Cant really say I agree Bertrand, parenting used to be for the parents to do until the political correctness crap was introduced and parents responsibilities were taken away. The only thing a parent has to do these days is give birth and everything else is governed by so many laws and regulations that they haven’t really got anything more to do. You cant chastise your children because it might give them a complex, you cant allow them to play sport as they may get dirty or injured and there are no winners or losers now anyway, you can’t tell your kid that he or she is a brain dead little moron for failing at school because you cant fail at school and your child may sue you for whatever.

• Bertrand says:

01:18pm | 17/06/12

@thatmossis - I see where you are coming from, but respectfully disagree.

Nothing is stopping parents from being parents. Plenty of parents know how to instill discipline and respect in their children. That’s why, despite what many people claim, the vast majority of kids turn into perfectly well-functioning adults.

To refer back to the topic at hand. I’m assuming school kids would do something like a term unit on nutrition. One term’s study is not going to counteract 18 years of parenting when it comes to food choices.

Blaming PC or the education system for one’s parenting failures is simply making excuses.

• Brando says:

07:51am | 16/06/12

Like many people entering into middle age I could probably afford to lose 5 or kilos. I’m not exactly fat though but really I don’t care if you are and I don’t see why other people do either.

Why is it a problem to you if someone is a porker? It’s their problem you don’t have you deal with it.

Don’t give me this guff about us paying for their medical costs. We pay medical costs for people for many different reasons. I once read an article that said over 80% of your medical costs will be incurred in the last three years of your life so I ask are they really costing us more us just incurring the medical costs earlier than the rest of us.

A friend of mine is the head nurse in a hospital emergency department. She says that they’re not full of fatties (or even smokers). On weekends the main people in emergency departments are suffering from injuries incurred from playing some sort of sport or exercise or believe it or not DIY home improvements. Until the night time when it becomes those injured while affected by alcohol or perhaps by somebody else that was.

Funny enough I don’t hear calls for those to dip into their own pockets to pay for their medical care. Nor calls for playing sport, going to the gym,  fixing up your house or drinking to be banned.

I also recently spent two days in hospital and the ward wasn’t full of fatsos. there seemed to me more underweight older people there than anything else.

This sneering at those fatter than us is all about feeling superior. You’re fatter than me so I then consider myself to be a better person who can look down on you. I have a significantly overweight friend who says that other fat people give her advice on losing weight. Apparently in their minds this is acceptable as long as the person you are giving the advice to is fatter than you. She thinks it’s hilarious.

I think I can count the times I have been even mildly inconvenienced by a fat person on one hand. I can safely say I have been bothered by drunk people many times more than fat people.

So as far as I care feel free to eat yourself into an early grave. I don’t really care as it’s your problem not mine.

I once read a comment on a forum that said having a BMI over 35 will shorten your lifespan by 4 years. As the poster said, it the last 4 years of your life which are more than likely going to be crap anyway. It’s not at though they are going to take 4 years out of your twenties.

They said that being able to spend your life not worrying about what you eat or counting calories makes it look like an acceptable trade. If it’s true then I see their point.

• Dan says:

10:54am | 16/06/12

Well said.  Also, another annoying thing about the ‘my tax dollars’ argument is the assumption that fat people aren’t paying taxes themselves.  Fat people do have jobs!

• Markus says:

12:11pm | 16/06/12

The Emergency Ward in hospitals deals with emergency incidents. Citing a lack of fat people in the ER is about as relevant as citing a lack of old people on life support in the maternity ward.

• Condor says:

12:37pm | 16/06/12

Your argument has more holes in it than the Titannic.

Firstly, no-one reports to an emergency department saying you’ve got a broken fat or are having a case of the fats. So your entire sample range is incorrect

Fat people are the ones sycking down pills (Type 2 diabetes, hypertension etc) for 40 years of their life and requiring frequent elective surgery such as for replacements, back pain, kidney disease, liver disease, heart disease etc

Secondly, it doesn’t matter how fat you are. You can always give advice. Whether this advice is asked for or accurate is another matter.

Just because people aregue against fat people doesn’t mean drunks are off the hook. They create their own problems and The Punch has discussed these on occasion.

People eating themselves into an early grave are causing us all problems because they spend half of the life clogging up the health system. There are many people who keep themselves relatively fit when then keel over one week in their 80s or 90s. These are the people to be applauded.

Those people eating themselves into an early grave are going to have a miserable time of life when it all catches up to them. This is going to be about from the age of 40 onwards. All the illnesses and ailments they suffer will be frequent and annoying and severely limit their quality of life. Not something to envy or appreciate.

As for the “they pay tax, too” argument, unless you earn about $100k pa then you’re already a net loss to society for the roads you use, the schooling you took, the transport you use etc. Adding further cost to the health system just compounds it.

Unless the health system becomes entirely use-pays, you have a responsibility to do everything you can not to be a burden on it.

• Butu, bring my gun says:

12:46pm | 16/06/12

Eh? People have sudden fat attacks and are rushed to emergency? Well, I never.

I would of thought that obesity related diseases snuck up on you slowly and malevolently. You know, like my salad-dodging mate. He’s turning black from the feet up. Up to his knees now. In and out of hospital. No rushed trips in an ambulance though.

We drive him in and then he waddles to admission.

• LaDiva says:

05:15pm | 16/06/12

Geez Condor, I don’t earn 100K pa so I’m a dead loss to society?

Better go shoot myself in the head then.

• Audra Blue says:

06:40pm | 16/06/12

Dan, this is so true.  In the last government department I worked in, there were mainly women and they were all either grossly overweight or morbidly obese.  And the food these women ate was disgusting.  Nobody was shoving it down their throats but themselves.  They will eat themselves into an early grave but that’s not my problem, it’s theirs.

They were all working at their jobs and paying taxes and nobody took any days off due to fat related illnes that I could tell.  I figure most of them won’t be a burden on the health system as they will probably die pretty quickly when their hearts give out under the strain of keeping them upright.

• Carly says:

08:30pm | 17/06/12

I’m a nurse, emergency might not be full of fatties and smokers, but the wards sure are. Unhealthy people are the ones that actually have to stay longer in hospital. Healthy people get treated and get out. I see 45 year olds in hospital for weeks on end barley able to walk to the toilet without oxygen, because they have destroyed their bodies by smoking for years. Smoking and obesity cost the health system far more than sports injuries and DIY injuries, it’s not even comparable.

• Bill says:

08:00am | 16/06/12

Who really is going to pay for this ‘free’ bowl of veggies?

• Freeman says:

09:38am | 16/06/12

a ‘Fat tax’ will be introduced on fast food

• fish says:

12:52pm | 16/06/12

The tax payer via a government subsidy most likely.

• Jane2 says:

06:05pm | 16/06/12

So the already concious about what the eat get free veg and those who chose to eat high fat pay for it. I like this idea. Especially since the majority of people who watch what they eat are on middle to high incomes so for once the poor would be paying for the well to do.

• Di Pearton says:

08:51am | 16/06/12

The lack of compassion here astounds me. No one is fat because they want to be. Michael Bloomberg is trying to help in a small way by making people conscious of the amount they are drinking, much like poker machine pre commitment may have worked for some.
      If we tried to help instead of judge people, we may get better results? And it is in the whole community’s interest to help with health issues.

• year of the dragon says:

09:15am | 16/06/12

Di Pearton says: 08:51am | 16/06/12

“The lack of compassion here astounds me. No one is fat because they want to be.”

Maybe not. But plenty of people are not fat because they choose not to be.

Maybe we could help by telling fat people that it is their responsibility to not be fat and that they can control it rather than telling them that it’s not their fault and letting them continue with their bad habits and destructive lifestyles.

Patronising and coddling them is doing far more damage than any perceived lack compassion.

• Bananabender56 says:

09:41am | 16/06/12

Maybe not but they are responsible for shedding the weight. It comes under the same heading as ‘self inflicted’. A bit like sunburn, veneral disease and babies. All preventable but your choice.

• Bertrand says:

09:43am | 16/06/12

People are fat because they eat too much and don’t do enough exercise. They may not ‘want’ to be fat, but they certainly do want to do the things they know will make them fat.

Obesity costs our healthcare system billions of dollars. Those of us who maintain our health are subsidising the poor decisions made by others.

Most people reserve their compassion for people whose problems aren’t of their own making.

• rat says:

09:48am | 16/06/12

A drink diver who killed a whole family probably did not want to do so.
      Does that mean that driver should not be accountable for the consequences of his/her reckless behaviour?
      Should we turn our hearts to helping this poor victim of fate, or should we judge.

While the example is extreme, a fat person may cause detriment to society, through reckless personal choices. The community (the corollary is government)  has every right to judge as well as seeking to help.
      The utility in weighing up judgement/restrictions and help is a mater of degree however.

• JT says:

10:38am | 16/06/12

They may not be fat because they want to be, but they are in almost all cases because of their own actions. Your weight is your responsibility, not the governments, not your fellow citizen, yours so take responsibility or piss off.

As for that fool Michael Bloomberg, anyone who has been to America would know that for the vast majority of places the soda you buy is self serve from a drink machine, meaning you have free refills so the size of the cup is irrelevant. Likewise in your chain restaurants, sodas have free refills.

• Sheridan says:

11:50am | 16/06/12

Actually it was birth control that made my weight rise.. At one time I actually more than double my body weight pre contraception.. When I went off it for medical reasons I shed nearly 30 kgs so it’s not all shovelling food and being lazy for women, some of it is artificial hormones.. I am slowly trying to lose the rest but the excess has crippled me so it’s slower going than it would otherwise be..

• Louisa says:

09:37am | 16/06/12

People don’t want to be fat, but many still choose to be. They consciously choose every morsel that they put in their own mouths. Rehabilitation of any sort only works if the person acknowledges and accepts that they have a problem and that they need and really want to do something about it. Until that happens, any attempt to regulate a person’s food choices will fail. What people want is to be able to eat whatever they want all the time and have some magic pill that will stop them gaining weight. It doesn’t exist.

While the free vegies idea seems like a noble gesture, ultimately that’s all it is.  A gesture, and one that would increase the price of everything else on the menu while people would still choose to not eat them.

• Nick says:

10:12am | 16/06/12

It’s obvious that we are ultimately responsible for our own health but that doesn’t absolve the community from making it easier for people to make healthy choices.  Providing safe spaces for people to exercise in like well maintained parks, playgrounds, and reserves; removing unnecessary barriers like bans on dog walking, cycling, skating and so forth so people can do something they enjoy; provide support for community programs that encourage healthy eating and exercise; and use discretionary powers to reduce the appeal of unhealthy choices like smoking, drinking, and consuming large quantities of stupidly unhealthy foods.  I see no problem with this if done carefully.

I’m not sure that highly specific activities like banning large soft drinks is sensible.  Partly because people will find a way to circumvent them, partly because the taxation and legal framework required would need to be almost infinitely baroque, and partly because gaps would send the wrong message.  For example if we ban large serves of soft drinks but not fruit juice we need to define which is which and are we saying one is healthier than the other when fruit juice is just another highly processed and sugar rich food?  Or do we ban the lot, or only drinks with some property we decide is undesirable, or what?  It seems ridiculous to try to work at that level.

• Straightshooter says:

11:09am | 16/06/12

Each individual is responsible for their own health and well being - parents are responsible for their junior children. That is actually one of the obligations of marriage - the care of your childrens health and well being - from which laws of neglect come. No other person or organisation is responsible - the wells of information and help are all overflowing, just step up and drink

• Cat says:

11:35am | 16/06/12

I think there is a serious problem here and it is this. Good food often costs more. The healthy option often costs more.
      Take a look in the supermarket. You can buy white sliced bread far more cheaply than you can buy a dense wholemeal loaf. The latter is supposed to be better for you.
      Head to the rice. Brown rice is more expensive. Head to the flour. Wholemeal flour is more expensive. Head to the dairy products. Low fat milk is more expensive. Plain yoghurt is more expensive.  Processed cheese slices are cheaper.  Head to the meat. Sausages are cheap. “Fat free” mince is more expensive. Fish? Forget it.  Fruit in season? Often more expensive than the cold-storage out of season fruit they want to off-load. Vegetables? Ditto.
      This is a big part of the problem. Parents on a budget will go for what is cheapest as well as what they believe their kids are going to eat - so that they do not “waste food”.
      We do not need free vegies in a restaurant. We need affordable good food that becomes the economic good choice as well. We need to work on getting good food with a short shelf life moving at reasonable cost and making the poorer food with the longer shelf life more expensive.
      A government could do something about that. My guess is they will not.

• fish says:

01:01pm | 16/06/12

Maybe you should try shopping elsewhere than at a supermarket (Coles, Woolworths, Bi-Lo etc).  It takes more time and effort but all these things can be found cheaper than just shopping at supermarkets.

• Lee says:

05:16pm | 16/06/12

Cat. low fat milk costs more because it required more processing. Lean mince because it has more meat and less fat so of course it costs more, they are using a better grade meat. Also remember your body needs fat or it goes into storage mode and you gain or maintain weight not loose it. Natural Fat is not bad processed fat is. It costs me over $20 for 3 happy meals and one adult sized meal I can definitely make a healthy meal cheaper than that. As for the Government doing something, they have there is no GST on fruit and veggies, only processed food. I find if I eat good food, after a while I actually get less hungry and eat less as my body is satisfied with the level of nutrients it it receiving. Unlike if I eat junk I am constantly hungry

• Megs says:

12:40pm | 17/06/12

Commercial bread companies make their loaves in the different varieties, be it white, wholemeal or grain; pick which ever one you prefer. Brown rice is more filling than white, so you consume less. Good mince is made from more meat, cook it up and you end up with more meat than an equal quantity of your cheaper fatty mince. Processed cheese slices are not even cheese.
      A couple of years ago we (family of 6) stopped eating preservatives and additives, essentially removing the need to buy processed food. My food bill is now comparatively less, allowing for price increases. It’s a little more work in food preparation, but healthier and cheaper.
      Its really simple; my health is my responsibility and my kids health is mine to look after too. I have no desire to spend my mature years, paying for bad food choices, having shitty health.

• Sheridan says:

12:01pm | 16/06/12

If the fat tax was used to subsidise the price of FRESH fruit and veg, wholemeal bread products, fresh fish and lean cuts of meat / poultry it’d be well used.. It should also be used to develop and maintain green space / walking areas etc..

• platinumm says:

12:46pm | 16/06/12

What’s the deal here?  Most of us can only afford to eat out at a restaurant on special occasions anyway. One night of no veggies is hardly going to dent a good diet… of course, the rich folk who ‘don’t have time to cook for themselves’ and eat out all the time are placing their nutrition into the hands of other people and thus it’s easy to shift the blame for getting fat.  Live like you’re on a pension, cook your own food, grow it if necessary, take responsibility for what you eat and how much you exercise and stop making excuses to yourself (because no one else really believes them anyway).  Oh, and do some research on plastic packaging of foodstuffs and endocrine disruptors transferring into food from it.

• Angry Fat Bitch says:

02:40pm | 16/06/12

I agree that it’s a bit far-fetched to make vegies free and expect that to convince people to say no to chips, and banning bigger drinks will only result in people drinking more small ones…. but it would be nice to see restaurants stopped from charging insane amounts of money for vegies.

But - I have been to restaurants where you’re expected to pay $9 extra for vegies to go with your steak. Sorry but if a steak doesn’t come with either salad or veg it isn’t a meal, and $9 is a lot extra to pay to get what should have been on the plate in the first place. I don’t object on the basis of wanting someone else to take care of my health, I object because it’s an absolute rip and I don’t much care for being ripped off.

• Ags says:

05:52pm | 17/06/12

Angry Fat Bitch is soooo right! Do you serve a meal at home without vegies, salad etc? Why should a restaurant consider ‘sides’ an optional extra and put a meal out of the reach of a lot of diners? And $9 for a plate of whatever, that you KNOW cost about $1.50, is an insult.

• Shane says:

04:23pm | 16/06/12

A bowl of veggies in a restaurant should be free the moment that it’s free to obtain, prepare and serve that bowl of veggies. Seriously the entitlement mentality of some people just amazes me. “I want it so someone else should pay” is the catchcry of so many Australians nowadays.

If you don’t want to be fat, then you make the choice and you pay the money for the veggies instead of paying the money for the chips. How hard is it? Should someone else always have to pay for your life choices?

• Dave says:

04:26pm | 16/06/12

“Goodyer reckons that if a bowl of veggies came to the table for free then we’d be forced into swapping an expensive side of chips for the healthier option.”

The inner totalitarian of health fanatics isn’t really hard to identify.

What’s harder to identify is why other people give time and consideration to such ideas. According to this loudmouth activist, restaurants should be forced to give something away, based on nothing except this activist’s personal whims and preferences.

The same goes for Bloomberg. These people apparently think that millions of others should have their options limited by the preferences of the few, with no evidence proposed, no justification suggested, and no reason to think the assaults on liberty will stop here.

• Darren says:

05:40pm | 16/06/12

Mens Health needs serious attention, but it will never happen as its not PC.  Mens health issues get a fraction of the funding that womens health issues get dispite men dying younger, talk about a gender gap!

Have you noticed that junk food is generally marketed to males and health food to females, if it were the other way aound the Govt would take action

• Darren says:

05:40pm | 16/06/12

06:24pm | 16/06/12

I really don’t like veggies.
      They don’t taste very nice and they have no bite, though asparagus is the closest thing to potato-chips.
      Broad-beans, however, are an exception, and I cook up dishes that will use them because as a carnivore, they soak up the blood of my med/rare steaks.

Don’t blame me for being a softie, however : the older you get, the more accurate is your sense of how you are going to die ; and food should be the least of my worries.

06:55pm | 16/06/12

I forgot ... I always mash my beans with my spud.

• The Anybutton says:

06:26pm | 16/06/12

I’m stunned by the over simplification of a complex issue. A few facts many of the posters here seem unaware of:
      1. Lack of sleep causes weight gain.
      2. Vitamin D deficiency causes persistent weight gain.
      3. Underactive thyroid causes weight gain.
      4. Stress causes weight gain.
      5. Chronic pain makes exercise torture.
      I bet the people blaming fat people for being fat would struggle to resist the overwhelming urge to binge if they had any of the first 4 conditions and with vitamin D deficiency you put on fat even if your diet is controlled.
      I’ve had all of the above conditions and it’s only after medically managing each one that I’ve been able to lose weight by eating a normal balanced diet. Taking thyroid hormone was the final nail in the coffin for my obesity problem. Losing weight is (relatively) easy again.

• HeatherG says:

01:08pm | 17/06/12

Yes. Thyroid hormone (for Hashi’s) has helped me stop putting on unexplained by diet or exercise weight, I’m not yet at losing it, but I’ll get there.

Vit D deficiency, though, is definitely a silent obesity causer (I say “silent” because most people don’t know about it). Without D, the liver cannot metabolise fat and we can’t lose weight.

And the best sources of Vit D? Well, it’s a fat soluble vitamin, so it’s in fats—or, we can metabolise it using sunlight—but what we’re often not told is that it can only be metabolised from cholesterol, which we’re also “supposed to avoid”! It’s also a cancer preventative (particularly skin cancer)... but it metabolises from sunlight via fats… which we’re told to avoid to avoid cancer…. and cancer rates are also rising.

Maybe we, scientifically, don’t yet know as much as we think we do, eh.

• Reader says:

06:31pm | 16/06/12

I don’t think it’s a health issue as such, but I have noticed that restaurants have stopped putting veggies on the plate with meals for free. The other day we went to a restaurant and steamed vegetables were free with the meal—my parents said it was commonplace not that long ago.

• Jane2 says:

06:53pm | 16/06/12

I only eat chips when I am in a pub, when I am home I eat steamed vegetables. You are proposing taking away my once a month treat in an attempt to get those who eating at the local is a cheap meal to eat some more veg, which they wont do because if they wanted veg they would have chosen veg instead of chips!

• Kate says:

07:13pm | 16/06/12

We simply cannot afford to pay the medical bills for the obese. If everyone over 100kg had to pay their own doctors’ bills (for Type ll diabetes, joint problems, heart problems etc) and paid for their prescriptions for same, then they would soon take off the weight. It’s time the obese started taking responsibility for their own health problems.

• JR says:

07:33pm | 16/06/12

Having recently come back from a few months in America, my costs of food being a vegetarian far exceeded that of my meat eating companion. I understand the reasonings behind the price of fruit and vegetables being higher than cheap, heart attack inducing fast food, but there needs to be some sort of tax breaks to farmers so they can pass on cheaper costs to consumers. Even finding fruits and veg was incredibly difficult in some cities. Why would people choose healthy and expensive over cheap and easy?

• Muggles says:

08:11pm | 16/06/12

People always have such fantastic ideas when someone else is picking up the bill.

I invite Paula Goodyer to provide healthy food, for free, to anyone who asks.  Let her put her money and time where her mouth is.

As for responsibility, it shows how far we’ve come as a society where such questions even need to be asked.

Of COURSE it’s the individual’s responsibility.

I was fat once. Very fat.  Why was I fat? Because I had a poor diet, and I was lazy.  And a hormone imbalance, whoop-de-doo.  So I worked out like a bastard, started eating properly, and dropped over 30kg.  And if a lazy bastard like me can do that, anyone can.

If you are a fat adult, then guess what?  Barring some invalid condition, it’s YOUR FAULT.

Oh, and if your children are fat, then YOU are doing something wrong. You are being a bad parent.

It’s YOUR responsibility. Not the restaurants. Not society’s. YOURS.

• Michelle says:

08:45pm | 16/06/12

There’s no such thing as ‘free food’. The outlets will factor the cost into the price of the meal in other ways. And you reckon if broccoli and carrots come ‘free’ people will eat them? I bet people spring for chips. Most times they do already.

Get big brother off my dinner plate. If I want tim tams for breakfast and chocolate cake for tea it’s nobody else’s business.

There’s nothing stopping people eating healthy now. They choose not to. And in a democracy it’s nobody else’s business.

• MoonShadow says:

07:18am | 17/06/12

Of course a fat tax can work - if properly applied. Treat food like alcohol, where the higher the alcohol content, the higher the tax. In the case of food, the higher the ratio of carbs (carbs are more responsible than fat in weight gain) and fat in a dish, the higher the tax on that dish. This will drive up the cost of eating out as what’s left - protein - is expensive. In turn this will lead to more home cooking and healthier choices in deference to take away and junk microwaved meals. Bad luck for junk food purveyors, but a much better health for the population. Bye bye MacDonald’s , hello cookbook.

• Robinoz says:

08:32am | 17/06/12

We already pay enough tax. If you impose a fat tax, it would be smarter to weigh people each year and charge them for any increase in weight (how stupid is that?) If you agree with a fat tax, you should also agree with a sex tax; increased sexual intercourse causes STDs and apparently cervical cancer in women. That has a cost to society.

When you start charging taxes to remediate something, you are setting a baseline that can expand into almost every other part of life. We already have an oxygen tax coming in in July ... every CO2 particle has two atoms of oxygen, but it wouldn’t be popular calling it an oxygen tax would it?

Who would work out what percentage of fat a meal had? Restaurants and others already pay GST on fats and oils they buy, surely that is enough.

• Waldemar Schwefel says:

10:14am | 17/06/12

It is a matter of money and the question if it clashes with other “important” needs. Every tax would work, if high enough. Right, 50c more for a burger doesnt stop anyone, its the normal raise wed expect in 2 years. As much as 50c on tobacco. Doubling the former price is another thing, like a cold shower, leading to a “f***, thats enough, shovel your burger down your a***” reaction.
      The tax trick is a gradual rise so people can get used to it, a sudden rise would have an effect. But how do you think the peer groups would react on it ? McD, Burger King, Chicken whatever and Coca Cola ? They are America.
      They could even assasinate the president if they want. Fat Americans are controllable Americans, the government knows that, a depending and consuming population can be manipulated, at last by threatening them to withdraw all the yummy and convenient goods..
      Its all about control. You have to see the big picture, not the sensible solution.

• John says:

10:28am | 17/06/12

Double the cost and taxes on junk food and reduce the cost of nutricious food.I have a 70 year old neighbour and a 32 year old son in law that have never eaten vegetables.The neighbour has developed diabetes and my son in law is suffering from a lack of nutricion that is causing health problems for him.

• Gerry W says:

10:29am | 17/06/12

Parents are 100% responsible for fat kids, adults are 100% responsible for themselves being obese. I saw a on on Current Affair Program a woman who lost 120 kilos and now is 70 kilos. BUT her 3 kids were all FAT, OMG? It’s not a fat mirror, it’s you.

• Brian Baxter says:

11:28am | 17/06/12

Say you ride a trail bike on the weekends. Fall off and hurt yourself and have to go to the hospital. Who bears the cost?. You chose to undertake a dangerous activity. You lack of self control made you go too fast around that corner and the state ends up paying.
      Say your 12 year old gets hurt playing football in the back yard. Where were the parents? Their lack of responsibility has led to more cost on society. Why should I pay?
      People need to understand what a society actually is before they start talking about it. And if you don’t like your tax dollar being “wasted” then don’t pay tax. Its your choice. Seriously if you don’t want to you have plenty of choices. Choices are one of the benefits of our society. Complaining seems to be the other important one.

• Mike says:

11:46am | 17/06/12

As an individual I am responsible for me health and that includes what and how much I eat and the level of exercise I undertake. It also means that when I an sick I see the appropriate professional, and take any prescribed treatments as I should. I unfortunately am not a medical professional so can’t prescribe things for my sick family, but it is my responsibility to see that help is sought. In the same way I am responsible to have my car serviced frequently to make sure it is safe and that my driving habits are also safe. Some servicing I can do myself, as I can sometimes pickup my own bad driving habits and reform them. I am able to seek out education on health matters from a number of sources and take heed when I deem it necessary. I for one don’t need the government to tell me if I am healthy or not. Though I can see that the rise in obesity does have long term health effects for the individuals so afflicted as it does for the overburdened health system. Unfortunately free vegetables at restaurants is only going to push taxes higher as farmers claim government handouts for growing vegetables to give away.

• Bho Ghan-Pryde says:

12:32pm | 17/06/12

We should ban fat food, fat people, smoking, drinking, skinny people, whingeing, crossing the road, swimming in the ocean, flying, pregnancy, childbirth, childhood - all these and many other dangerous activities should be banned and people taxed to stop them doing it. I would go so far as to say if we banned child birth we could limit the risk of people being exposed to risk in life and ultimately stop death. It makes sense and you know it.
      The only alternative is to ban those annoying no talent egotistical busy bodies and god-botherers who are convinced they should be running everyone’s life and who seem to congregate in politics and the bureaucracy and who want to live on everyone else’s labour via taxes to push their ends and expect to be thanked and worshipped for it. If we got rid of them, no less (and no more) would die, but the world would probably be more fun and exciting and knowledge would evolve quicker as it always does at places and times of risk.

• HeatherG says:

12:34pm | 17/06/12

Part of it has to be a definite ignorance of what actually makes us fat. Why is it, with the plethora of low-fat food choices available, many of us get fatter and fatter even when we eat less dietary fat?

Sugar. Corn syrup. It’s in everything, even “healthy” low-fat food. In many cases, the “fatty” option is a healthier one (eg, the ever-ongoing “butter vs margarine” debate: butter is closer to natural yet has saturated fats, but margarine, despite being allegedly healthier because of polyunsaturates, has also been shown in some studies to have increased heart disease in populations that use it over butter because of the trans fats—trans fats are decidedly more deadly than saturated fat BUT they don’t make you externally “fat”).

Worth a read: http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2012/jun/11/why-our-food-is-making-us-fat?fb=native&CMP=FBCNETTXT9038  Scary stuff. The thesis of the article is that we have become fatter as a population *despite* not actually eating more and/or exercising less.

• paul says:

12:39pm | 17/06/12

A free bowl of veges will never work.  I eat at a mine site mess and can’t wait to get past the crud that tastes like crap (eg:  veges and they are free) so I can get to the good stuff at the other end of the servery.  I can assure you I am not Robinson Crusoe.  Until they can make veges taste better than the other offerings veges will never cut the mustard.

• GetRidOfCommies says:

02:25pm | 17/06/12

Spot on Paul.

What these government do-gooders fail to realise when they try and force us to conform to their personal dietary preferences is that for some people vegetables are no good.

If vegetables were actually healthy for us they would taste better. They don’t they taste like crap. A good fatty steak tastes good. Logic tells me that things that taste good must be good for us, otherwise we wouldn’t have evolved to have them taste good.

I’m yet to see any evidence that fruit and vegetables are any healthier than what I eat.

• Lorraine says:

03:20pm | 17/06/12

Here we go again, trying to make someone else responsible for our own poor behaviour.
      Take responsibility for your own problems that’s part of being an adult.

• Kerry O'Suillivan says:

12:49pm | 17/06/12

At what point in time did we give away our right of choice and the character building experience of consequences. We have an obese , unhealthy population because it is so much easier to blame someone/something else and forgo our responsibility for our own health than to stand up and say ‘ooops’ I wont do that again. We have become a society of sloths handing over responsibility for our lives to someone else, and someone WILL see the potential for profit and take control of your health and your lives for you.You have no-one to blame but yourselves for taking the easy way out and handing your health & happiness over to someone else. THEY, whovever THEY are have decided for us that adding vitamin D to milk is a good idea - go and sit in the sun for 10 minutes a day without the slip, slop slap for pity’s sake. The whole slip slop slap thing, someone convinced us that this was necessary & we blindly believed - of course there are consequences, & THEY stuffed up, but WE suffer.Silly people, we have a brain…use it

• Ags says:

06:15pm | 17/06/12

Good one Paul and GetRidOfCommies! I think we all know what you two will look like in a few years. Just because you have no taste buds and uneducated palates! Bet you have tomato sauce on everything too.

• Sensibility says:

01:10pm | 17/06/12

Water is free in most restaurants, but it doesn’t stop people buying soft drinks and alcohol. Just saying.

• JustMEInT says:

02:10pm | 17/06/12

Lots of reasons why people choose certain foods…... not everyone is responsibile especially when industry (food) knows they are deliberately making us fatter with all the supersizing and less fat + more sugar in their processed food crud.

You’re addicted to sugar.
      Similarly to wheat, sugar has addictive properties. A review of the rat studies shows that rodents will become quite addicted to sugar rather quickly, at times even choosing it over pharmaceutical-grade cocaine. There’s evidence that the addictive properties affect humans, too. As with wheat, naltrexone has been shown to reduce the rewarding properties of sugar in people. When you block the opiate receptors in the brain, sugar simply isn’t as rewarding and you’re not driven to consume as much of it.

Sugar appears to be addictive in both rats and humans. You, being a human, could very well be drawn to make bad decisions about sweets because you are addicted to them.

Read more: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/8-reasons-why-you-act-against-your-own-better-judgment/#ixzz1y1Iz9ifK

• Ivor Penn says:

02:17pm | 17/06/12

The answer to the obesity problem is both simple and totally without cost. First there is a need to establish an acceptable B.M.I. index that is both realistic and fair, pass the necessary laws through both houses that accepts that persons outside of this limit is deemed to have deliberately and willingly accepted a known hazardous life style that is injurious to their own health.
      Then when they attempt to get treatment on the national health system, advise them that due to the self inflicted nature of their condition they have forsaken their right to access the national health system, since they paid to deliberately wreck their own health at significant expense, then they can now pay for their own treatment. They will get no assistance from the national health system without fee for service.
      Another law to be passed at the same time will advise the legal profession that should they attempt to encourage this bad behaviour by trying to defending those who have with knowledge and aforethought, destroyed their on health will be deemed to be an accomplice after the fact, and they will be required to personally pay for all costs incurred by the said fat person.

• Fay says:

03:46pm | 17/06/12

This is only another incentive for those Vitamin makers to add more to the vitamins they sell. Everytime a medical research person releases findings about people being low in vitamin D, Iron, Iodine etc some bright spark decides to add it to the food we eat instead of giving people a choice. What all these doo gooders dont tell you is the body will only abosrb what it needs and then it gets rid of any waste product left by the usual means. Too much iron, iodine or vitamin D can also be detrimental to your health but we’re not told that are we.
      Let people make there own choices on what they like to eat, even now I’m nto a vege person, but whe nits addded in to ameal like soup or stew I eat it, so live and let live I say.

• Denosk says:

05:52pm | 17/06/12

I’ve been in supermarkets and seen what some parents put in their trolleys for them and their children to eat.  It’s disgraceful and they should be ashamed.  Most people eat next to no vegetables or salad (and this is what we should be eating most of, not bread and other carbs - unless you’re Michelle Bridges or an athlete) - but instead eat a lot of fake, packaged food.  I wouldn’t dream of serving up my family anything that isn’t made from scratch.  People won’t cook anymore, they think it’s too hard.  It’s not, we’ve just become lazy!
      Get yourself a slow cooker and/or a pressure cooker, stop putting stuff in your trolley if it’s not fresh real food, and start cooking the good stuff.  No-one needs to be on medication for anything that isn’t genetic or as a result of a virus, disability or illness.  And by the way, 90% of what is sold in supermarkets is absolute garbage!  It’s all sugar - everything including sauces, bread, you name it….

• Your Opinion says:

05:15am | 18/06/12

I thought ‘chips’ were a vegetable?

• Russell says:

09:15am | 18/06/12

Don’t you understand: the food is already free: what you pay for is the service of the people who deliver it to you. Are you saying that the labour of the people providing that service should be given free?