What are you buying your dad for Father’s Day on Sunday? Not much if these stats from IBIS World Research are true.

This little girl is smiling because she only spent $20. Photo: Herald Sun

The international marketing company has found that when it comes to forking out for Dad, we’re a bunch of stingy, tight-fisted, penny-pinchers.

What can you get for $28? A book, a bargain bin CD, movie tickets, three bottles of Dan Murphy’s clean skins and a hell of a lot of plain black cotton socks (most of us would spend more than that filling up the car or buying groceries.)

Turns out we spend it on a combination of electronics and gift cards instead. Now that might be good news for our struggling retailers, but am I the only person who considers a gift card for any person in your immediate family a complete and utter cop-out?

So why do dads get a lesser deal in the gift department?

Here are some theories that floated around The Punch office:

1. Dads always say they never want anything.
2. Dads are comparatively easy to buy for: the stuff they admit to wanting costs less.
3. And the stuff that dads really, really, really want is way too expensive to even make the suggestion list.

Personally, I have a super lovely dad who rarely asks for more than just to see the three of us on any of the days we celebrate. Given how busy everyone seems to be these days, time is a pretty important gift.

It also strikes me as the most apt gift for the person in our lives who taught us all the “dad stuff”.

That differs for everyone, but generally speaking it’s the stuff of a practical nature that they’re best at. Fixing, negotiating and teaching you how to ride a bike or drive a car. All that stuff takes time and patience and sensibleness about things. They’re all qualities of a good dad: straight up, direct and generally low-maintenance.

But there’s a difference between low-maintenance and a fob-off. Which is exactly what spending less than $30 on your Dad is.

At the very least, you could take him out for drink or something to eat.  According to IBIS World Research, $165 million of our Father’s Day spend will be used up on sharing a meal.

Hopefully that’s indicative of the fact that most of us will spend at least some of Sunday spending some quality time with Dad.

You can’t get that on a gift card.

Follow me on Twitter:@lucyjk

Comments on this post close at 8pm AEST.

• Gregg says:

06:24am | 28/08/12

I reckon number three reasoning could be about right Lucy.
      And you’ may have helped to cheer Angela up.
      ” According to their research, we spend an average of $28.60 on our dads each year. But happily spend a comparative average of $60 on Mother’s Day. ”

• acotrel says:

07:44am | 28/08/12

My father died of a smoking related illness at age 63 in about 1977.  I’m ashamed to admit that I didn’t buy him one present in his whole lifetime.  But I did do one thing for him.  He was a WW2 ex-serviceman, and I took him to the Firepower Demo at Puckapunyal on the day they use the live ammo.  When he was in hospital dying, he suggested we should go there again.

• P. Walker says:

11:44am | 28/08/12

Acotrel, I understand you even more as bits of you come seeping through….....;-(

• Bertrand says:

06:39am | 28/08/12

All this daddy gets is the big piece of chicken.

• Tubesteak says:

02:05pm | 28/08/12

It’s easy to read with all this light. Thanks dad

• Fiddler says:

07:06am | 28/08/12

Yeah, I don[‘t think my kids are getting me the jet-ski I wanted for fathers day. Sad face.

• John F says:

07:11am | 28/08/12

At the time I had 2 young children (now 4) I asked my ex why she never got me anything for fathers day, her answer “your not my father”
      I hate my ex but I still buy presents for the kids to give her on mothers day.

• John F says:

08:20am | 28/08/12

I’ll also add that since my ex alienated me from my 2 oldest daughters the upcoming fathers day will be the 5th I havn’t seen them along with my 50th birthday.
      To all the other dads who have had their childrens love stolen.
      This Fathers Day
      Your not alone

• M says:

08:40am | 28/08/12

Thoughts are with you and dads in a similar situation, John.

• Carz says:

08:51am | 28/08/12

My ex-husband arranged nothing with our kids for me for Mother’s Day this year. His birthday was soon afterwards and I ensured that the kids had presents for him. And I will do the same for Father’s Day. Not all ex-wives are bitches, however there are some ex-husbands who are.

• fairsfair says:

09:30am | 28/08/12

We never bought mum or dad gifts until we had jobs. Prior to that it was a crappy card, a pasta necklace, a poor drawing. All this was done at school.

I will say though I did scoff at the junk mail yesterday “for dad”. Around Mothers day it is all jewellery catalogues with the $2000 stuff on the front. For fathers day it was BWS and Dan Murphys.

If I ever con some poor sucker into having babies with me the gifts exchanged will be made. I would never expect my partner to buy a gift from the kids. When did these days go from the Friday before’s craft activity task, burnt toast made in the loudest way possible to some sort of major undertaking for families with young kids?

• Jeremy says:

10:17am | 28/08/12

I think in general: not all people are bitches, but some are. No need to subgroup any further.

It’s sad though that adults can be so damn childish even though they know better. This year dad will be getting a morning sailing lesson, then bocce by the beach with some nice beers. Good start to the Spring.

• Alex says:

10:24am | 28/08/12

My boy’s father and I are not together, (and haven’t been since I was pregnant), but I always make the effort to do something for his birthday, father’s day, and Christmas from his son.  I don’t understand how some ex partners can be so uncaring.  And I always will (until he’s old enough to do it himself of course!)

• iMitchy says:

10:39am | 28/08/12

I have three kids, the oldest turned 2 on Sunday and the others are 5 month old twins. Our oldest was born just before Father’s Day and my wife still organised a present for me (a framed photo of my daughter and I with an engraved plaque commemorating my first Father’s Day).

The kids are too young to understand what the day means and obviously don’t make or buy anything to gift. That is fine. The way my wife and I see it, Mother’s and Father’s Day are days to thank your partner for their role in parenting, and to thank them for all the extra stuff they do to free up a little of your time or make your day easier so you can place more focus on the kids.

@fairs,
      I know it was in jest but I think your comment: “If I ever con some poor sucker into having babies with me…” was in poor taste. For all the John F’s in the world, it is true to say that some didn’t just chance upon their situation. I personally know women (well, one woman particularly) who are in relationships for the sole reason of a wedding day, having kids, a free house and not having to work again. By the time the last kiddie is out the plan is to divorce and take all you can get.

• Scotchfinger says:

11:32am | 28/08/12

iMitchy,

All men become teletubbies in the presence of good-looking women.

• iMitchy says:

03:57pm | 28/08/12

@Scotchfinger,

Wouldn’t describe her as good looking. Six foot five and 100+kgs. He is 7 foot or so and around 140kgs. They look oddly “right” together, but she’s just a total biatch and he wouldn’t hurt a fly. He’s being majorly taken advantage of.

• Scotchfinger says:

04:34pm | 28/08/12

hell iMitchy, what a pair of monsters. My advice? Just stay out of the way, you can’t stop assortative mating. Imagine the children/troll-things to come out of such a pairing *marvels*

• M says:

04:41pm | 28/08/12

<For all the John F’s in the world, it is true to say that some didn’t just chance upon their situation. I personally know women (well, one woman particularly) who are in relationships for the sole reason of a wedding day, having kids, a free house and not having to work again. By the time the last kiddie is out the plan is to divorce and take all you can get.
      My friends and I have done all we can to protect one innocent guy from said one woman (who by the way was our friend before we met the guy), but she is very manipulative and he is about as bright as a teletubbie so we’ve had little success. >

Someone remind me again, what advantage is there in being married for a man?

• Scotchfinger says:

05:50pm | 28/08/12

‘What advantage is there in being married for a man?’
      Well, for one thing, your mates stop trying to set you up with dodgy chicks. Instead, you get to do the matchmaking! Much more fun, particularly if you really milk the smugness.

• M says:

07:24am | 28/08/12

I refuse to take part in this hallmark holiday. Dad doesn’t mind either. I do get mum something for mothers day though. Cause, you know, it’s mum.

• nihonin says:

08:46am | 28/08/12

I’m the same with my kids, when they ask what I want for Fathers Day, I tell them the same thing every year, their company is all I need, money can’t buy that.

• Anubis says:

09:09am | 28/08/12

Okay @M, I’ll bite. You say “Cause, you know, it’s mum.”  And why does this sort of sentiment not apply to the dad who is out working to feed, educate, entertain and clothe the family? Sacrificing what should be family time so that junior can get the next “must have” on the endless shopping lists of youths.

• M says:

09:27am | 28/08/12

Cause dad doesn’t really give much of a damn about fathers day Christmas and birthdays are enough he reckons. He’d rather just have our company for dinner.

• James1 says:

10:58am | 28/08/12

I agree with your dad.  It’s a day invented by shops to sell things to suckers.  Usually I just ask my daughter to draw me a picture or something.

• Admiral Ackbar says:

12:39pm | 28/08/12

“It’s a day invented by shops to sell things to suckers.”

Exactly, just like Christmas and Easter. And Valentines day. And so on.

This is the thing though, guys just don’t give a crap about buying material things when there is clearly no need as there are more important things in life.

• James1 says:

12:43pm | 28/08/12

After seeing those, my expectations are considerably higher.  From now on, if MoMA won’t accept it, neither will I.

That said, last time I visted MoMA, it seemed to have its fair share of drunken scrawl…

• M says:

12:55pm | 28/08/12

Yeah, but don’t get anything for her on V day and woe betide you.

• Scotchfinger says:

01:05pm | 28/08/12

I urge patience, and remember these wise words from a profoundly gifted child:

‘No matter what distance we cross - each step is still an infinity’

*humble silence, trying to figure out what it means, and failing*

• James1 says:

01:19pm | 28/08/12

Not my wife, M.  She actually shares my view, and thinks that Valentines Day is the most meaningless of them all.  Also, she understands that she must wait until I get killed before interrupting my game of Battlefield 3, because you cannot pause when playing online.

These two things are the key to a lasting relationship.  Everything else is details.

• M says:

01:36pm | 28/08/12

Truly you arre one of the lucky ones James. What I wouldn’t give for a woman who understands how important online gaming is to me.

• Admiral Ackbar says:

02:49pm | 28/08/12

Damn James1. You sir, are truly living the dream.

• Nathan Explosion says:

02:59pm | 28/08/12

@M The Missus doesn’t interrupt me playing WoW, and I don’t interrupt her in the middle of an RPG boss battle.

• Wayne Kerr says:

07:55am | 28/08/12

” I have a super lovely dad who rarely asks for more than just to see the three of us on any of the days we celebrate”

Thta’s pretty much all I want.  I have evrything that I need and everything that I want is just unrealistically expensive for anybody to buy me, so I’d much rather have my kids and family with me.

Saying that I think wives/partners are less thoughtful than children. For my birthday my son cooked dinner, my daughter organised a present and if it wasn’t for my son I wouldn’t have even had a cake with a candle on it.  Whereas my wife thinks that I should spoil her on her special days..go figure…

• Yak says:

09:11am | 28/08/12

What is it with wives and presents? Not an original idea for a pressie, ever. I can’t say that I haven’t been surprised by one of her gifts, but the surprise is usually for the outrageously boring nature of her selection. One birthday will forever be remembered for the exciting Pillow I received. True, it was one of those foam curvey one’s that keep your back straight whilst sleeping, but seriously, a pillow? For Xmas I got a voucher to a Beauty Salon. I took the manicure/pedicure option as the least traumatic for the poor lass assigned the impossible mission.
      My boy had a birthday recently and received a weight-loss book. You could see the joy in his face as he took it out of the Woolies plastic bag. This was a gift that kept on giving; anxiety, depression, low self-esteem.
      I love her dearly, but not for her gift giving prowess.

• Nathan Explosion says:

10:04am | 28/08/12

My wife gives me great presents!

One year she surprised me a Guitar Hero pack, and a DS game and DVD I wanted. Brilliant! Her presents to me are much more inspired than the ones I give her.

• Snorks says:

12:02pm | 28/08/12

My wife complains that I never give her any ideas.
      I keep telling her I give her ideas all the time, she just doesn’t pay attention.
      That walk around the Bunnings store on the weekend, when I stopped and picked something up and put it down again, that was a clue.
      For her presents, i usually get her something that she said she wanted 6 months ago, I just make a menal note of it.
      Admittedly, this will occasionally backfire because she no longer needs / wants the item, but for the most part they are well received.

• Amastaycia says:

12:44pm | 28/08/12

Not all wives are bad - I put a lot of thought into gift giving to my husband, always trying to get something he would love from both myself and his son (my step-son)

This fathers day for example he is getting a very much wanted board game imported from the US (as you can’t get it here) from his son, and a set of glasses from me and our yet to be born baby (he constenetly complains about not having the appropriate size glasses for his drinks.

I think a better statement here would be - yes some ‘people’ suck at gift giving but it’s not always the wife/husband/woman/man. It goes for many different people

• Scotchfinger says:

01:46pm | 28/08/12

‘not all wives are bad’
      oh dear, are you new to the Punch? *sorrowful shake of the head* Let me give you some advice: apologise for that statement, admit that its opposite is true, and the Punchers will forgive you (I hope).

*chants* My eyes have been opened to the downright evil of succubus women and the endless patience and innocence of men, thanks to this site. Before, I knew nothing!

• Louie the laughing at Scotchy today Fly says:

05:26pm | 28/08/12

Scotchy,
      WHAT is in your coffee today?
      I need some.

• Scotchfinger says:

05:46pm | 28/08/12

Louie, it’s hell living in my head. Would not wish on anyone.

• Michael says:

08:00am | 28/08/12

Everday is Fathers day.

Every gurgled “glub joo daddad” and kisses blown with a sloppy “mwah” and received smelling of toast and vegemite hands. Heaven.

Mums get it too.

• Scotchfinger says:

11:38am | 28/08/12

great comment Michael, nothing more to add. Except perhaps to mention the odd, high ringing tone hears after a toddler has shrieked his little lungs out, approximately 2 inches from one’s cochlea. A gift!

• Tubesteak says:

08:03am | 28/08/12

Last Sunday we asked my Dad what he wanted to do for Father’s Day.

He said he’d been through the Bunnings catalogue and realised that he had everything he wanted. For a man that is happy pottering around his yard and who doesn’t have many other interests than that there’s not much to buy him.

He said he wants his car washed, some plants pulled out of one of the gardens, a BBQ lunch (he hates breakfast in bed) and to be brought whatever he wants while he watches the football in the afternoon (not that difficult since he ritually falls asleep about 15 minutes into every game no matter what time it’s on or what game it is).

• fairsfair says:

09:21am | 28/08/12

Thats nice to hear.

My dad has expensive taste so we all pitch in and buy him his SnapOn impact sockets, because thats all he wants. At least we now he will use them if not just stare at them lovingly.

It is different with Fathers and Sons though I think. All my Dad wants is my brother to spend some time with him, but he won’t. So they continue to pretend that each of them doesn’t like the other when in all honesty they just want to hug it out and have a beer. Men. I don’t understand them.

Plus Lucy you forgot #4 - mothers who buy themselves their presents. Of course they are going to spend more! wink

• Tubesteak says:

12:15pm | 28/08/12

fairsfair
      That’s sad to hear. All of my family gets along really well. There’s only 4 of us (mum, dad, my brother and I) but we’re tight!

• Scotchfinger says:

03:30pm | 28/08/12

fairs, this Sunday take the whole family out to the pub, then casually mention that you and your mum need to go to the loo. Leave the pub with your mum. Come back in an hour, to find your dad and brother downing their sixth beer, laughing and slapping each other’s shoulders, saying things like, ‘yeah, I was a bit of a wanker wasn’t I?’ and, ‘no, I prefer Elle Mac, but to each his own.’ You and your mum say something smooth like ‘ooh, silly us, we got lost!’ and the blokes will never be the wiser, thinking this is a credible explanation. Rift closed, everyone’s happy.

• Nathan Explosion says:

08:30am | 28/08/12

I think if most dads are anything like my Dad, they don’t want anything and he’s incredibly hard to buy for, because when you ask him what he wants for Father’s Day/birthday/Christmas, all he wants is a hug.

I’d give you that anyway! C’mon, Dad! Some tips in the right direction would be helpful! I don’t want to get you something crap!

I ask Mum what she would like, and she reels off a list of potential presents for herself, my stepdad, my sister, my brother in law and my grandparents. Makes the Christmas shopping SO much easier!

• Alex says:

08:38am | 28/08/12

Speak for yourself. My younger brother, at age 12, sold chocolates for the best part of a year and saved around $700 which he promptly spent on a brand new set of clubs for my dad for Father’s Day. He even took him to the shop so he could choose. Gave him the budget, and he could pick and choose what he wanted. Didn’t spend a cent on himself.

But I think that’s what you get when the father spends his life on his kids. Generosity breeds generosity.

• spanky says:

08:54am | 28/08/12

Man i need some new undies and the sock draw looks a bit sad maybe I will get lucky this year.

• Meh says:

08:56am | 28/08/12

“spending less than $30 on your Dad is a fob-off.”

I call bullshit. If you think you have to spend more than $X, you don’t get it. I have put in my order, a pic of the kid for my desk at work and a day trip to Daylesford to have chicken N chips by the lake and enjoy the day as a family.

I would also accept   http://seabreacher.com/

• Louie the Fly says:

05:32pm | 28/08/12

I need one of those for Townsville - perfect for playing round Naggie Island Beaches.

• Greg says:

09:11am | 28/08/12

My first fathers day this weekend and the answer is simple

bought my own present raspberry

• chuck says:

09:17am | 28/08/12

A hug and a kiss from your kids and grand kids is worth more than any other present!

• Katie says:

09:22am | 28/08/12

I have issues buying things for my father for Father’s day, birthdays AND Christmas. You know why?

Because anything he wants, he goes and buys himself. He doesn’t wait for a holiday to ask for it, like my mother. He doesn’t see the point.

So yes, I do spend less on my Dad. I also spend a lot more time working out what to give him. This year, it’s a selection of home baked sweets, a handmade coffee mug coaster and his favourite meal for dinner.

I don’t think he’ll complain!

• The Free says:

09:34am | 28/08/12

I think wee live in a culture in which women are the consumers, any trip to a shopping mall will tell you that. In fact if you can go to a mall that doesn’t out number women’s to men’s good 4/1 then email a link.

Seriously, women just want more stuff and I’m not saying there’s anything wrong with that, but Dads just spend less, want less and it’s therein explained.

Diamonds are a girl’s best friend and expensive perfumes and chocolates are never going to be cheaper than soap-on-a-rope and a hanky.

Just plain economics

• Nathan Explosion says:

10:11am | 28/08/12

“...but Dads just spend less, want less and it’s therein explained.”

That’s true. My Dad always buys stacks of $5 white tee shirts from Cotton On.

• M says:

11:02am | 28/08/12

My mother wails about how my father and I shop. Apparently it’s not a shopping trip unless you walk for 3 miles and spend 3 hours “browsing.” Dad and I walk in, buy what we want, and walk out again, all over in less than 15 minutes.

• Richard says:

09:38am | 28/08/12

As a dad I buy myself a pressy and let the kids give it to me. All I want from them is a hug and a card, also not to give their mum a hard time as we are separated.

• Richard says:

09:39am | 28/08/12

• Richard says:

09:39am | 28/08/12

• Richard says:

09:39am | 28/08/12

• Anubis says:

09:55am | 28/08/12

Father’s Day this year will be spent with my son cooking sausages for the Scouts at the local Markets.

• Anubis says:

09:55am | 28/08/12

• Slick says:

10:03am | 28/08/12

I organised my Dads pressie, a massage voucher, about 3 weeks ago (he lives down south so had to be organised)
      For my husband I went shopping on the weekend, when I asked the kids what we should get him the response was…“hmmm a quad bike, a boat, a new car..”
      I was going to get him golf clubs, but then he stopped playing golf. I was going to get him a welder, but he and his brother are going halves.
      I ended up buying some new tools to replace some that are way to old and rusty and a massage.
      He will also get breakfast in bed and the kids and I will mow the lawn this weekend for him. smile

• Yak says:

10:51am | 28/08/12

Myself, I only need a hug and some love’n. But it’s always a wonderful surprise to receive a gift, even if it’s only a Bom Funk MC CD. It’s always the thought that counts.

• david says:

11:04am | 28/08/12

Tough times in my house - I don’t wear undies or socks.

• Mouse says:

11:27am | 28/08/12

hahahahaha! Thanks for that david….. I will have this unprintable picture in my head all day long now!  LOL   :oD

• patsy says:

11:07am | 28/08/12

I just want to let all you dads know that every son or daughter thinks that their dad is the best dad. Fiance’s and my dad are both gone and actually they were very similar blokes. We wil be raising our glasses to them both on Sunday under the black and white photo I have in my lounge of my dad leaning over the handle bars of his Norton Featherbed.

• Robert S McCormick says:

11:34am | 28/08/12

There is a Big problem which has tobe addressed and that is that over the generations the female partners of men have usurped men’s rights to wear bright, cheery colours by oh-so-well-meaningly taking over when it comes to buying Men’s Clothing. Oh, they allow us to wear coloured jocks but there it ends. Whilst the women buy bright colours for themselves, unless some mealy-mouthed minister’s wife, eschewing Beige, Grey, Tan & Brown, they always buy the drabbest, dreariest beige, grey, tan & brown clothing they can find for their male partners.
      We have never observed either Mother’s or Father’s days for both are just money-making rackets. We buy each other small gifts throughout the year and just as Yak, above, says all any of really need” is a hug & a bit of love,n”. We would rather the children simply keep in touch with phone calls or visits just to check up on how we are and we return the compliment. We are all there for each other, even if we don’t see each other very often. A simple phone call just to say “Hullo” and “How are you?” is all that is needed. We know everyone seems to have run out of time, we’ve never quite worked out why, but a couple of minutes out of those busy lives should not be too much to ask, should it?
      Mother’s & Father’s Days are so synthetic, so insincere aren’t they?
      There are Mums & Dads out there who are now all on their own and if any son or daughter thinks it is simply enough to only get in touch on one day of the year they are horribly mistaken. A friend’s husband died and after all the weeping’n'wailing, promises to keep in touch, the grieving had reduced our friend became increasingly depressed. The reason? She told us that not one of her 5 children had been on touch for months, she had rung them only to get one of those damned ‘answering machines’ - they never returned her calls. OK, we admit it, we interfered. Our families had been close for years. We were the non-family Aunt & Uncle so many families have. We,gently but firmly, read them the riot act. All it took was one short call a week from each of her kids to get our friend back on her feet. She once again felt needed & loved.

• James of Fremantle says:

12:03pm | 28/08/12

My Dad is in his 70s. He has an iphone, an ipad, a kindle, 7 kids that love him, 20 plus grandchildren that love him and 10 plus great grand children that love him.
      He has travelled the world and now enjoys nothing more than a walk along the beach with his dog and if any of us tag along, we will stop off and have fish and chips or a coffee.
      Tell me what I could buy him for more than $30 that would be better than a visit from me with his grandson?
      (For what it is worth, I know he has no whiskey in the house so I am giving him a bottle, but I was going to give him that whether it was Father’s day or not !)

• Ziggy says:

12:27pm | 28/08/12

Thanks James. Could be a mirror image of me! And thats all I want - it is just great.

• John F says:

01:41pm | 28/08/12

My Dad is 86, diabetic, he has had both legs amputated and he lives alone on acearage in Sydney. Thanks to my ex he doesnt know his 4 grandchildren. Parental alienation hasn’t just effected me it’s also touched him. He has tried to contact my kids but they wont reply. He will die soon with know idea what his grandchildren even look like.

• Ally says:

12:22pm | 28/08/12

One thing I dislike about mother’s/father’s day is the expectation that you buy something for your partner. I’ve got a couple of friends that will place large expectations on their spouse for something on these days and my immediate thought is “but you’re not your wife’s/husband’s father/mother”.

It’s overcommercialised crap, really. I would think most parents of small children would be happy receiving something their kid made at school, and parents of adult children would be happy spending some time with their kids.

• Nathan Explosion says:

03:06pm | 28/08/12

What! That’s insane. I sometimes buy wife a present and for Mother’s Day and say it’s from the cats, and she does the same on Father’s Day, but it’s certainly not expected.

• Scotchfinger says:

04:21pm | 28/08/12

me and my li’l boy spend time at the Bachelor Pad Cafe. I read the paper, he runs around, charming and annoying patrons in equal measure. Life don’t get much better than those moments.

• sami says:

02:51pm | 28/08/12

I don’t give pressies to mum, and she doesn’t give them to me. We live in different states and I’m not that close to her anyway. But I am close with my dad and I always try and get him awesome pressies for every holiday.

For fathers day I’ve gotten him the box set of Mrs Browns Boys and my sister is getting him some AC/DC glasses for his bar. For Christmas we stocked his newly installed bar with a variety of drinks (flavoured vodka, mixers etc), cocktail stuff (shaker, stirrers, ice tongs etc), swizzle sticks, fancy straws, a cocktail recipe book and a neon bar sign. For his birthday I bought him the AC/DC board game.

Sometimes I buy him subscriptions to the car magazines that he likes and if all else fails he gets bunnings vouchers because he loves saving them up to buy something he really wants for his house extension/yard remodelling/pool room. Sometimes he gives me bunnings vouchers too, cos he knows I love them. Doesn’t everyone love bunnings?
      I also have a list of things to buy him for future holidays, like a bottle of Hudson bourbon (it’s our last name) and tickets to gigs that he would like.

Anyway my dad is awesome and I tell him that all the time and I don’t think he would care if he got nothing as long as we appreciated all he does for us. But I still like to get him cool pressies wink