I am still in a state of shock. Delicious, indescribable shock. For the first time in my life, my beloved Manchester City FC are champions of England.

In the early hours of yesterday morning, the tiny window live streaming Foxtel on my iMac transported me 15,000km to Eastlands in Manchester to watch City’s biggest game since 1968, when we last clinched the league championship.

In the space of 95 agonising minutes the title was lost, won, lost again, lost almost irretrievably and then finally, somehow, incredibly won in the dying seconds with the very last kick of the season.

As I sat, gobsmacked, in the middle of the night half a world away from the cauldron of erupting joy in Manchester, I felt a weird mixture of soaring joy and sadness: delight for my team, agony that I wasn’t there to share the moment.

Until Christmas, City had resembled champions-elect, demolishing opponents in swashbuckling style. Then, with key players away at the African Nations Cup, there had been a hiccup and with four games to go bitter rivals Manchester United were in poll position, eight points in front.

Somehow United failed to beat Everton in a 4-4 thriller. City beat United 1-0 at home, then outclassed Newcastle away, meaning we only had to match United’s result on the last day to win the title.

Yesterday, with City 2-1 down against the 10 men of QPR in injury time, facing our first home defeat since December 2010, it seemed like the title was being tossed away in the most careless fashion.

For decades the Blues have fallen victim to “Cityitis”, a strange Murphy’s Law of soccer applying to City alone.

If disaster could be snatched from the jaws of victory, you could be sure City would fall at the final hurdle.

1968 seemed so long ago. 1968. A wave of political protests rippling around the world from the Prague Spring to Paris and Mexico City. With the clock ticking down yesterday it seemed the revolution we City supporters have been dreaming of would stay on hold.

44 years without a league title would test any team’s supporters, however loyal, and ours are the best of the best.

Until 1992, the agony was eased somewhat by the fact that we had won the league more recently than United, who had last won the championship in 1967.

But ever since that managerial impresario Sir Alex Ferguson finally broke United’s title hoodoo in 1992, City’s bitter cross-town rivals have dominated English football, winning the Premier League a record 12 times.

As the clock moved into injury time yesterday with it looking like gold for United again, I felt physically sick.

Then, miracle of miracles, my wonderful heroes shook off the ghosts of the past, with Bosnian beanpole Edin Dzeko equalising in the 92-minute. Then, unbelievably, Argentine magician Sergio Aguero kept his cool at the death to fire a wonderful winner and ignite the blue revolution.

That yesterday’s victory came at Manchester United’s expense doubled my pleasure.

Previously on The Punch: Confessions of a soccer diva. And diver.

The previously unflappable Ferguson had very publicly lost his cool a couple of weeks at City’s stadium as the Blues comprehensively outplayed United in a 1-0 victory.

Yesterday his volcanic Glaswegian blood was boiling.

United won at Sunderland thanks to a Wayne Rooney goal yet ended up with nothing.

That the title was eventually decided on the positive goal difference accrued during the unforgettable 6-1 hammering City handed out at Old Trafford in October is the icing on an already delicious cake.

Because Sir Alex Ferguson has plagued my sporting life.

His swashbuckling Aberdeen broke the Celtic/Rangers duopoly at the top of Scottish football and broke my heart in the 1986 Scottish Cup Final, when they beat my team Hearts of Midlothian in a painful finale at Hampden.

When I arrived in Manchester, Fergie was waiting for me. And through 19 years of pain, suffering and Cityitis, I have had to endure this brilliant manager dancing on my dreams.

This year’s dramas made for the most exciting finish to an English league campaign since Arsenal’s Michael Thomas hijacked the title from Liverpool at Anfield in the dying seconds of the 1989 season.

Yet this was the greater finale, pitting the established (albeit heavily in debt) Old Money of United against the (money-no-object) oil-fuelled Nouveau Riche arrivistes of City.

After City were snapped up Abu Dhabi’s sheikhs, the richest royals on the planet, four years ago, Ferguson derided City’s efforts to challenge his empire with the accusation that we were simply “noisy neighbours” best ignored.

Ultimately this was a victory for Italian swagger versus Scottish grit, for Arab wealth against levered American debt, for the loyal, mostly homegrown blue half of Manchester against all those around the world who follow the reds of Salford, many never having been anywhere near Old Trafford.

However much it hurts Ferguson’s United, and I hope it hurts a lot, the ultimate winner yesterday was sport’s magical ability to create jaw dropping results beyond the realms of the wildest possible scripts.

The dancing is over, the noisy neighbours are here to stay. City are champions, and this is just the beginning.

• Tim says:

10:50am | 15/05/12

It would have been better if the two sides were actually playing each other in a Grand Final.
      Just putting it out there.

• DP says:

12:52pm | 15/05/12

Na, the drama of Monday morning will eclipse anything ever seen in an Australian football code. We could take a vote, but just a warning, you’d probably lose, by about 1 billion to 3 million.

The finals system, and even the season itself to some extent in the NRL and AFL, is nonsensical… First you play every team once, but only some teams twice, seems fair? That’s followed by a finals system, that gives the opportunity for mediocre, mid-table teams to be crowned “champions”, by finding a bit of form for a few games and/or getting a few slices of luck, while a team who has P22 W22, dominated all season long, might have the opposite fortunes, or pick up a few injuries and two losses later, their season is considered a complete failure. Yes, this sounds a lot better than a system that rewards season long consistency, in which every team plays each other an even amount of times. Finals are ingrained in our sporting culture, that’s why we don’t realise how idiotic they are…

Oh by the way, this isn’t a dig at the local codes, this years A-League GF was a perfect example of why finals are awful, the goal that decided the 2012 Champions was scored by a referee.

• KH says:

01:04pm | 15/05/12

There is no ‘grand final’ - it was the last round of the season, and for once, the title was still up for grabs.  Whoever tops the table in the FA wins the division, or in this case, premier league.  This was much better - both teams had a mid to bottom dweller opposition; City nearly lost to QPR - down to 10 men, injury time - it was truly magical…............there is only one thing more awesome than seeing Man U beaten on goal difference for the title - and that is the team that beat them is Manchester City…..........bwahahahahahahaha At least my team will be in Europe next year…...........go gunners….........2013 could be our year!!!!

• Tim says:

02:44pm | 15/05/12

KH,
      they were both playing crap teams, it was not nearly as good as if they were facing each other.

DP,
      yeah lets have an Australian vote.
      But just a warning, you’ll probably lose about 21.9 million to 100 thousand.

Finals are awful in Soccer because soccer is a fluky sport where it’s much easier for a crap side to jag a win or a draw against a good side.
      But this shouldn’t be fixed by not having finals, it should be fixed by making goals easier to score. The goal should be made a foot wider and higher.

The best side in the competition is the side who beats all the other sides when it counts, not the side who manages to consistently grind out wins because they don’t get any major injuries during the year or play a boring brand of football.

And that only comes from having a finals series.

• Baa Baa says:

04:26pm | 15/05/12

Agree with you Tim,but i think 100,000 is a bit over the top! How anyone can get excited with that game is beyond belief…dead boring!!

• Baa Baa says:

04:26pm | 15/05/12

• daniel says:

01:13am | 16/05/12

If the sides are good enough, they can make it to an FA Cup Final. Or, if they can beat European teams, the Champions League Final.

• D says:

02:21pm | 16/05/12

Not really, Tim. You’re missing the point. Did you see either of the games? The crowd reactions could tell you what was going on in the other game, and the tension was absolutely unbelievable - I wish I had been there, despite it not finishing the way I had hoped, or really had it built up to over the preceding 60 or so minutes.

• fairsfair says:

11:04am | 15/05/12

I don’t understand…

• Inky says:

11:20am | 15/05/12

From what i can tell, English Richmond just won the Grand Final?

Sorry, I can only talk in AFL terms, Melbournite. Maybe someone can translate from me into NRL if you need it.

• Markus says:

11:40am | 15/05/12

English Richmond won the Grand Final after Gina Rinehart stepped in and bought them Lance Franklin, Gary Ablett, Chris Judd, Dane Swan et al.

• miss priss says:

11:46am | 15/05/12

the english rabbitohs won the comp

• fairsfair says:

11:56am | 15/05/12

I think I’m going to need a NRL analogy.

Would this be like South Sydney winning the premiership straight after Russell Crowe bought them (including a few Inglis affairs - lets assume all in the same year) having defeated Sydney City (even though not actually playing the Roosters in any kind of final type game)?

• bella starkey says:

12:47pm | 15/05/12

@fairsfair

It’s more like melbourne winning the premiership because they paid a heap more money than any other team could (or should have).

I think it’s only fair that city won, they paid for it after all.

• Tim says:

12:55pm | 15/05/12

fairsfair,
      It’s like every time the Roosters have won the premiership.
      Always bought with players from other clubs.

• D says:

02:35pm | 16/05/12

fairsfair - kind of, except City were never that successful. They had only won 2 titles before this in what, over 100 years. They had gone down divisions a decade or so ago, however. Imaginge Crowe bought souths, only there was no cap and he had by far the most money to spend, and subsequently bought most of the best players in the world (minus a handful of unbuyables - instead of Messi, Ronald & Xavi think Smith, Slater & Cronk). They then go on to JUST beat the Roosters in a swinging final match in which they were massive favourites but were losing before scoring twice in the last 2 minutes of the game to win. This is after the season itself, where Souths had a MASSIVE lead but failed miserably, allowing the Roosters to not only catch them but build their own massive lead - and subsequently lose it, with the final weeks being decided on goal difference.

They did play head to head just 2 weeks ago, City beat United 1-0 in the most overhyped, awful game of football ever to be seen.

• renold says:

11:15am | 15/05/12

Was a great finish to any competition, bragging rights for a year.

Now for Euro 2012….The Dutch will have bragging rights for a year…awesome

• Dave B says:

11:15am | 15/05/12

Congratulations & well deserved win!  I’ve been a Utd supporter from 7 years of age, even stuck with them when they went down to the 2nd Div. However, despite the X-town rivalry & even as a devout MU fan, I can say that I truly admired the determination, courage & skill shown by the Blues - What a spectacle, it almost rivals the ‘66 WC Final !  City capped off a great season with a win of Herculean strength that will serve as a motivating story to discuss with my 28 U7s, at training on Thursday night. Can’t wait for next year & hopefully some pain relief!

• H B Bear says:

11:19am | 15/05/12

Arab money defeats American and Russian money.  England only provides the venues and the dreary weather.  Relationship to Manchester City in 1968 - absolutely nothing, except to the Man City marketing department.

Welcome to modern sport.  It’s reality TV with a ball.

• Dave B says:

11:32am | 15/05/12

...and the Bear’s been shown a yellow for dissent!

• ian2 says:

11:32am | 15/05/12

and city have well and truly buggered the transfer system for all of Europe paying stupid fees and then wages in up to $300000 per week! yep they won but have well and truly buggerd English premier football. Its well past time salary and transfer caps were brought in. Happy days for city supporters but at a major cost to football.

• Dave B says:

01:14pm | 15/05/12

@ian2: Explain how it’s “...well and truly bugger[e]d English premier football”.?
      Are you talking about the standard & quality of the game? I can’t see any deleterious effects, in fact quite the opposite. Maybe you’re talking about the common man being disaffected & that we’re living in an obscene surreal world? (Possibly in some part true, however the days of playing in a paddock with makeshift & deteriorating facilities are thankfully, well & truly over). Maybe the $$ invested are ridiculous in the extreme but a good team needs good players & in a free market investors’ need security brought about by success in order to thrive. I’m confident that if you glance back in history there a many examples of European clubs’ paying (relatively) extreme transfer fees to encourage sponsors, improve their game & ensure the long term viability of their enterprise. Business is business & if it provides the spectacle of elite athletes performing at the highest level,  I’m very happy to watch it & enjoy the game, whether it be in the comfort of a modern stadium with all its facilities, or via the many communications systems available to us today - Thanks in the main to sound business planning by those you accuse of having “...buggered English Premier football.”

• ian 2 says:

02:36pm | 15/05/12

i repeat the likes of man city vast wealth have buggered english football. the quality of home grown talent has fallen dramatically due to clubs with cash bringing inplayers from all over the world instead of youth policys. premier league teams in the past have fielded a full 11 players of descent other than british. you think thats good for the game. do me a favour. I thiink 2 teams in the premier league have balances in the black and no one of them isnt man city they are in the red by 270 million!

• Dave B says:

12:00am | 16/05/12

@ian2: I don’t agree with your argument. Yes the talent pool does suffer, particularly for the smaller clubs & those in lower divisions or minor leagues but this is due to the scouts who plunder the best from the pipeline for the world game, thus depriving poorer clubs of valuable players. Many of the British clubs can blame their poor status on inept management, Leeds is a case that comes to mind. So there are many other nationalities playing football in Britain, so what? British players have been following the money initially into Europe & later into other continents, for decades. In fact the injection of big money has actually stemmed the flow of this exodus enabling clubs to retain ‘the best of British’. The cross cultural mix of talent brought together from all over the globe has resulted in a wonderful blend of skills & styles, greatly enhancing the play & making for a better game all round. Don’t get me wrong Ian2, I do think that something needs to be done to improve the lot for the smaller clubs & to bolster the supply chains for developing & promoting local talent, but this is also true for many other sporting codes around the world.

• Justin of Earlwood says:

11:20am | 15/05/12

When do the semis start?

• Markus says:

11:31am | 15/05/12

That Manchester United not winning the Premiership for once is considered the most magical ending to a season ever just shows how dull and predictable the EPL title contest is.

And all it took was the GDP of an OPEC nation.

• wingnut says:

12:13pm | 15/05/12

Im just going to put it out there that I support AFL, EPL and NRL, and I will not be engaging in a childish debate on which sport is better which will inevitibaly occur at some stage.

Now- that was undoubtedly the most extraordinary 90 minutes of sport I have come across, I am a Sunderland supporter, and was hoping to high hell would could knock united off, but forgot that we’d actually stop giving a stuff some 8 weeks ago.

But flicking back and forward listening to the crowd at Sunderland react to scores on the other side of England with such immense passion, forcing me to flick back and fourth time and time again…wow it was incredible!

Watching the Aguero winner go in was just amazing, I could feel the tension the city fans were going though, I was riding it home with them, truly an amazing spectacle.

• LJ Dots says:

12:30pm | 15/05/12

wingnut, I don’t get soccer *ahem* football and I agree with you, now is not the time to get into that discussion.

I do however, get ‘the vibe’ of the moment and even for a non-footballer, it was pretty bloody good.

• Sean Williams says:

01:00pm | 15/05/12

Well said LJ, getting into a sport v sport spat cheapens what was a spine-tingling, magical moment which encapsulates why those who say “it’s only a game” are missing out on something special. Okay it’s not “more important than life or death” but sport can have a life-affirming beauty to it. I have no affinity to either team but, more than the Aguero goal itself, I have been loving watching the reactions in the stands. The primal, electric bearpit atmosphere that makes a big game at a big British football ground such a unique experience. Male, female, young, old, watching the outpouring of emotion from those City fans is a joy to behold. They are my kinda people! Oh that we could all experience the euphoria they were lucky enough to feast upon on Sunday. Just once, once would be plenty! Good on them

• wingnut says:

01:22pm | 15/05/12

How good was watching the supporters, as I said above watching the tension, the anger the devestation when they thought they had blown it. I could empathise with it, being a Collingwood supporter and experiencing a bloody Grand Final draw, I could feel the anguish they were going through!

I was speechless by the end of it, captivating doesn’t even begin to desribe it!

• Geordie Boy says:

01:33pm | 15/05/12

Wingnut..you aren’t serious that you thought the mackems would have something of a chance? Funniest shit Ive read all year! Doesn’t matter now anyway - the important thing is that 5under1and are relegated next season wink
      Howay the Mags.

• wingnut says:

02:07pm | 15/05/12

The infestation of a geordie, talk about a team who has ridden copius amounts of luck this season, I do look forward to Mike Ashley selling off half the squad to refill his bank account, seeing as noone wants naming right of the SPORTS DIRECT ARENA.

Anyway never said we were chance at all, if you read it properly which I am sure you were not able to do as you are a geordie after all, was that i was HOPING not for our sake but for city’s as I also said we havn’t given a stuff since we knew we were safe after we drew with City.

Only team City didn’t beat this season BTW! As for relegation, no chance, pal 6th consecutive season next season, just the 3rd consectuvie for your lot, after the hero Shearer couldn’t find the magic to help you avoid the the drop a few years back.

Ha’way the lads!

• City Fan says:

03:08pm | 15/05/12

Dead right that City almost lost the championship because of results vs Sunderland. The 3-3 draw at home was a disaster rescued after being 3-1 down. The game at your place where Tevez missed an open goal and we lost 1-0 really was the beginning of the end for him, as his form started to slip so did his attitude. We even managed to beat UCL finalists Bayern Munich and Chelsea this year at home, but Sunderland - lucky to escape with the draw

• City Fan says:

03:08pm | 15/05/12

• wingnut says:

03:28pm | 15/05/12

@City Fan, that was the 10/11 season where he did that, Bent scored a late penalty to win it for us, Ji Dong Won scored the winner on new years day..now THAT was incredible!

This is why I i wanted to do United, because jeez we did some favours for them this season! Thankfully the result went the right way.

• Geordie Boy says:

06:53pm | 15/05/12

@wingnut - Sorry lad, but you did suggest it.
      “I am a Sunderland supporter, and was hoping to high hell would could knock united off…...”.

As for your other churlish rants re: Ashley etc

We finished 5th, playing in Europe next. Your miserable lot? What was it? Crapteenth?
      Have you ever seen a mackem in Milan? Have ye f*#k!

• wingnut says:

09:22am | 16/05/12

As I said, I have never seen a team ride luck like you lot did this season, good luck in Europe playing about 450 games next season. Have I ever seen a Mackem in Milan, good one have never heard that one before! We know where we stand in the scheme of things, delusion isn’t our strong point…unlike your good selves.

• Keith Hammersmith says:

12:36pm | 15/05/12

Greatest ending to a “Soccer” season ever.  This is an australian site, lets call it what it is. Football is AFL.

• Kebabpete says:

01:45pm | 15/05/12

Wrong. The real name is actually… Association Football.

The word soccer is a slang shortening of Assoccer. In the 1900’s school boys used to add “er” to shortened words.

Hence Rugby Football became Rugger and Association Football became Assoccer and eventually just… Soccer.

• ddd says:

02:34pm | 15/05/12

Keith, this is an Australian site, what is considered “Football” depends on where you live and where you went to school.

Football is:
      a) Rugby League;
      b) Rugby Union; or
      c) AFL.

• Justin of Earlwood says:

12:45pm | 15/05/12

Hang on, so they finished on equal points? Shouldn’t there be a penalty shoot-out? Or did City win on the away goals rule?

Just keep in mind that this is the only one of our football codes where deliberate contact to the head is part of the game. Funny that 4Corners missed that last night.

• Sean says:

01:21pm | 15/05/12

City won on goal difference (goals scored minus goals conceded).

Also, heading is probably a loophole; the rulemakers problably assumed that when they outlawed handling the ball, people would only kick. Kinda like how handballing is a loophole in the AFL.

• Farken says:

12:46pm | 15/05/12

there is only one football that i cant support because i think its not a real sport and that is AFL . well done Manchester City

• wingnut says:

01:25pm | 15/05/12

I did mention above I won’t be involving my self in a petty argument…however it’s not a sport? I couldn’t care less if you don’t like it, but how exactly is it not a sport?

• Gareth says:

12:48pm | 15/05/12

People talk of City ‘buying’ the title, but to me this is no further from the truth. Could one not argue that Man Utd have done the same, Chelsea, even the likes of Barca and Real, not forgetting Milan of decades ago.

Money buys players, skill and determination wins titles.

What Man City showed on Monday morning was not their fancy cars, homes or their exorbidant bank balances but their grit and will to come back from the dead.

t felt a little like Australia vs. Japan in 2006… I’m not even a City fan I was feeling ill at the prospect of City blowing their chance, not because of my hatred of United but because the fact that they had been the better side (in my opinion) for the season.

But that is the beauty of the first-past-the-post system, it does not reward those that have been mediocre, finished halfway down the table and manage to win the ‘title’ because of a run of games over the space of about four-weeks. To me that’s not right, it may be tradition but it’s not exactly ‘fair’.

I apologise to both my wife and my two dogs whom I woke up at 2AM with a thunderous “Yes!” when Aguero’s strike hit the back of the net… then his poor man’s Aloisi - also did anyone notice that the ref may not have cautioned him for that?

Well done City and let the off-season begin!

• wingnut says:

01:20pm | 15/05/12

To be honest, how else is anyone to compete and unless they have copius amounts of cash..I couldn’t of been happier for them, it’s someone different, and its especially not Manchester United.

• S.L says:

01:00pm | 15/05/12

With the drama of the Super Sunday and the last two A league grand finals I think soccer shows it’s more than nil all draws…........
      Of course the AFL/NRL supporters will be happy in their own insular worlds!

• Bruno says:

01:02pm | 15/05/12

nothing magic about it, pure oil money - Tim, Justin, Markus, MD, you can’t beat the reality of a first past the post competition deciding who is the best team in the land. None of this ok you’re good enough cause you finished eighth, never mind you lost as many games as you won you’re in the semis, now all you have to do is be the luckiest team out of those eight for the next couple of weeks and you the history books will be crowned the best in the country. You like to claim its fair and even and produces a good and even competition but ICB. What you want is for your team to win once every five years via a random cycle of player exchanges. Basically you don’t mind finishing last if it means you have a chance to finish first next season. You dont want to have to fight and work hard to not just get to the top but to stay there. You want a pass the parcel type system and this is just not life.

• Markus says:

01:50pm | 15/05/12

I don’t recall saying anything of the sort. What I said was that the main reason this is considered so magical is because Manchester United lost.

Had Man U been the one who successfully made up an improbable for-and-against differential in the final match of the season to win the Premiership again, the only people who would care are Man U fans.

• Andy says:

01:19pm | 15/05/12

The greatest ending to any sporting competition I have ever seen. Better than Newcastle 97, better than ‘99 Cricket World Cup final, better than the 4x100m mens relay at Sydney 2000, better than the Miracle at Istanbul - the list goes on and on. I can’t think of a single sporting moment that beats it. Not one.

• Geordie Boy says:

01:36pm | 15/05/12

For mine, it wasn’t just about the Citeh/Utd outcome, but the fact that there was also a relegation dogfight played out, and 3 teams vying for a possible Champions League spot (Spuds, Gooners and the Toon).
      Cracking end to the season.

• Arnold Layne says:

01:42pm | 15/05/12

Even as a Liverpool supporter, there’s no way Sunday night was better than 1989, Liverpool v Arsenal.  Sunday night was truly spectacular though.

Some good posts above from the neutrals too, so thanks to those who don’t normally follow the game for appreciating the drama of it.  All sports have their moments where you need to stop and appreciate what has just happened, no matter how many sports you follow.

• Simon says:

01:44pm | 15/05/12

As a City fan I doubt the smile will be wiped from my face for some time.

Such was my scream when Sergio scored that my partner got out of bed in a panic cause she thought I’d injured myself.

Miraculous ending to the match and the season.  Will never be repeated.  Not like that.

• Stavros says:

01:45pm | 15/05/12

Wow. People still play soccer? How quaint!

• Kebabpete says:

01:54pm | 15/05/12

When all the American’s, Saudi’s, and Russian’s have tired of their play things and sell them for next to nothing to people who can’t afford everyone’s wages then these clubs will all fold and the clubs with a real interest in prolonging the competition will rise to the top.

Given that Arsenal had a very poor season by all accounts, spent little to no money (relatively speaking), and still finished 3rd proves that you don’t need Oil/Gas money to compete.

A couple of key signings and they will leave Man City in their wake next season.

• Dr Digger says:

03:12pm | 15/05/12

The single greatest ending of any sporting competition I’ve ever seen.

The storyline is absurd on every single level.

Even my missus lost the plot and she doesn’t even watch sport.

She asked me “What are you watching so late?” She then sat down to watch. After 10 mins she was enthralled. When Cisse scored, she started holding her head and repeating “This is really crazy!!”

As the plot thickened, QPR going ahead and the Man City fans started to panic, she was screaming at the TV. Images of the Man City fans crying had her saying “OMG, this is awful. Grown men are in tears!!! COME ON CITY!!!”

Cut to images of Fergie in Sunderland and she’s screaming “Booo, you old misery face.”

When City equalised she was dancing in front of the TV like she was born on Moss Side and when Ageuro scored…....total utter meltdown, screaming, jumping on the sofa and hugging me.

We have been together 4 years and this was the first game she had every properly watched with me in it’s entirety on TV.

Her reactions were as amazing as the game itself. Football, bloody hell eh?

• wingnut says:

03:31pm | 15/05/12

Wish mine shared the same passion she just slept next to me completely oblivious to what I was witnessing!

• Steve says:

03:40pm | 15/05/12

Magnificent, Dr Digger.

• SD says:

08:43pm | 15/05/12

As a Geelong supporter I could feel their pain of getting close but seeing-thinking it had slipped away. As a Chelsea supporter i could sympathise with their hatred of all things United. As both I jumped up and down and went crazy and it easily was as worthy of place alongside the 2009 win over StKilda and Australia qualifying for the World Cup in 2006 as most massive sporting moments ever!

• The Cricket says:

06:15pm | 15/05/12

Some of the comments on here by the usual anti-soccer/football clowns are so arrogant. I’m talking to people like you, Tim.
      It’s far and away the most popular and loved sport in the world, and has been for over 100 years with no challenger in sight. But YOU reckon the sport should change the rules that have made it so loved because apparently YOU know better than billion of devotees. Really?!
      Just try and be a little bit gracious. Any true sports fan can recognise extraordinary sporting theatre when they see it. And if you fail to recognise that, then you’re not much of a sports fan.
      I agree with Wingnut who describes the usual drivel about “which sport is best” as childish.
      I enjoy soccer, AFL, NRL, rugby and many other sports when played well.
      Are you really so small-minded you can’t appreciate the things that make a different code so special?
      Yes, it is easier to “fluke” a win in soccer, that’s the beauty of the sport. Every now and then, the underdog can beat the champion if they ride their luck. That’s a good thing. Are you seriously suggesting it’s preferable that the stronger team always wins, that upsets are rare to non-existent?
      As for your argument that it would have been better if the two sides were playing each other, why? AFL grand finals are often totally one-sided and disappointing. So are rugby league grand finals and FA Cup finals.
      The fact that both sides were playing different matches miles away from each other enhanced the drama.
      I say again, if you can’t appreciate that, you’re a very poor sports fan.

• Richo says:

06:56pm | 15/05/12

I just thank the good lord that even though QPR lost, they still managed to stay up. I was watching this game about four streets away from Loftus Road and I wasn’t looking forward to the prospect of going home to a burning apartment!

• Jo says:

06:21pm | 15/05/12

The most fantastic sporting event I have ever witnessed! It had everything.

Unfortunately, aussies are still football retards by world standards judging by some of the comments here. Embarrassing really.  This brilliant game was not covered by the brain dead channels because they don’t have any money in it. Still they successfully push the local codes.

No, AFL and Rugby League aren’t good sports. If they were they would have been taken up around the world. Stop deluding yourselves. You’re being sold crap sports by the media. Wake up.

• the conductor says:

06:54pm | 15/05/12

The best ever Soccer Season finish was the Australian Soccer Grand Final between Wollongong Wolves and Perth Glory in Perth a decade or so back !
      Perth Glory led 3 to 0 at halftime! It was 3-3 after extra time!
      Wollongong 4 Perth Glory 2 in the penalty shootout.

• Richo says:

07:09pm | 15/05/12

Still don’t know how we lost that. It must be a purple thing, Freo have the same ability to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

• daniel says:

01:18am | 16/05/12

The arrogance of those United supporters chanting “we are the champions” only to be drowned out by the cheers, laughter and ‘Poznan’ of Sunderland supporters was stunningly beautiful.

But talk about leaving it late. City were on the cusp of the biggest capitulation the EPL has ever seen. Not even three strikers could get the two goals prior to injury time. That was amazing. QPR keeper was amazing. The drama was amazing and won’t be seen again for some time ... even though I wish it did it happen again next season.