How can a new, first-time parent feel any sort of confidence?  Seriously, after being told time and time again that exclusive breastfeeding until six months of age is the best thing for our babies’ health, we now hear that maybe those recommendations are putting children at risk of other health worries. Just maybe.  If you’ve recently had a baby, you know the pressure to breastfeed.

Awaiting the Fairy Godmother for instruction. Photo: AFP.

The stress placed on new mums to get their babies on the boob, and keep them there until they are at least six months of age, can be pretty overwhelming in those first few months.  Especially if breastfeeding is not going so well for you. In fact, the pressure is so great that most new mums either persevere, or give up and are wracked with guilt.

So when stories like these are released questioning the advice we are given in those early weeks of parenthood, we’re left wondering who and what are we meant to listen to? Especially when the official government response is they will review the national breastfeeding guidelines later this year. Great! What if your baby is past that stage by then? What if you have a seemingly hungry four-month-old baby now, and want to know what to do?

No wonder so many of us simply turn to those we trust and follow our own instincts. Just a few minutes on Google and you can end up feeling totally overwhelmed and confused. Or, even worse, end up following advice that is unsafe.

Unless you are a very confident new mother with a wonderful support network around you, those first few months of “what ifs” can be crushing. It was for me – and I think I am a well-educated, capable person.

But put me with a newborn baby that wouldn’t breastfeed, wasn’t putting on enough weight, and wouldn’t sleep, and I unravelled. I went from one breastfeeding clinic to another, and every single one of them told me something different. And none of it worked.

I kept hoping that I would stumble upon the magic formula to get my baby to feed – that my Fairy Godmother would suddenly fly in and show me a mysterious, ancient way of holding Scarlett that no-one else had shown me, and suddenly all my worries would disappear.

Instead, we struggled through with nipple-shields, reflux and no sleep until I finally gave in and started solids at four months of age. What a difference! My uncomfortable and hungry little baby began to be happy and content… as did her mother.

The grief and judgement I received from the various lactation and health nurses for starting solids early though made me again question whether I was actually harming my little girl.

Looking back, I wish I had blocked out all their voices and just listened to my own. I wish I’d just stopped going to all those breastfeeding clinics and stayed at home with my daughter and figured it out myself. But I don’t know too many first-time mothers who could do that.

In reality, even the most independent of us crumble when confronted with a newborn baby that isn’t ticking all the boxes when it comes to development and growth. We doubt ourselves, and we follow any nurse or doctor’s advice above our own mother-instincts.

So to all you new mums out there that hear of this new study that exclusive breastfeeding until six months might actually be exposing your little one to allergies and coeliac disease – don’t panic.

If your baby is happy, and you are happy, keep doing what you are doing.  And if they’re not, follow your own instincts. Ask lots of questions of the right people, but in the end – listen to your own voice.

• S.L says:

06:23am | 21/06/11

I watched my childrens mother go through constant pain while breastfeeding. She would cringe even before junior got anywhere near her nipple. From about a month old they were on formula. I think it comes down to a case of it’s different for every individual and “experts” should mind their own business…...........

• Fiona says:

07:09am | 21/06/11

Do we mind our own business when a woman comes to us? Of course not. You are right about it is an individual thing. It is a very steep learning curve and a shock to the system to realize that not all babies breastfeed well automatically.

• TheRealDave says:

11:42am | 21/06/11

SL my missus was the same, with our last child (now nearly 2) she was in tears whilst trying to beastfeed from the pain. So we cut over to the bottle when he was a month old.

I don’t know where anyone gets this ‘frowned upon’ nonsense to be honest. We never heard a single negative word about the bottle from anyone with the three of ours - despite the overwhelming pro-breast info everywhere. Probably because our kids grew up healthy and we never had cause to rush them off to the doctors or hospitals every 5 minutes. And the fact my missus was home next day for the first two and same day for the last one - a fact I attribute to her wanting to make sure I was not out ‘enjoying myself’ while she was in hospital.

I have mentioned on Punch before about how I’ve noticed the change from when our first daughter was born in 2000 to when our subsequent children were born in 2003 and 2009. In 2000 I remember after she was born the nurse asking if we were going to breast feed or bottle feed just before the first time she was fed. There was one or two posters about breastfeeding info and classes in the maternity ward. In 2003 there were a few more psoters around…by 2009 Every spare scrap of wallspace was devoted to ‘Breast is Best’ and other Pro-Breast propaganda.

It was very interesting to see the attitude change over the years.

• Samantha says:

12:28pm | 21/06/11

I may be wrong but I think the argument is over breast milk versus the tinned stuff. I imagine the act of breastfeeding bonds the mother and baby, but so would other activities (kangaroo care, for instance), and that putting breast milk in a bottle would accomplish the same goal. Does breast pumping cause the same pain as breastfeeding? Can anyone enlighten me? Cheers.

• Kika says:

01:23pm | 21/06/11

Samantha - it’s still the same process. You still need to ‘lactate’ to get the milk out whether it’s a pump or a baby doing it.

I agree. It’s nonsense. I know many of my cousins and family who were bottle fed on formula and they are all just fine. It’s all rubbish. My sister was on formula because back then in 84/85 they thought my 6 weeks premature sister was too small for Mum to breastfeed her (ni-pple wouldn’t fit in her mouth… this is literally what they said) so they told Mum not to bother trying to breastfeed her. She’s know a Vet with 2 uni degrees. If the breast nazis are right she probably would have been Einstein if she actually got breastfed. LOL.

• Ali says:

06:45am | 21/06/11

What are you saying parents should decide what is best for thier children?

Surely this is the governments job !!!

• Jay-ded says:

08:41am | 21/06/11

Hahahaha - good one Ali.

• progressivesunite says:

08:01am | 21/06/11

It shocks me how much pressure people put on new mothers - even before they have kids (re “caesareans are bad you have to go natural” etc etc). Really, unless someone is abusing their baby, things will probably work out ok and the rest of us should just leave them to it.

• Kimikaze says:

12:47pm | 21/06/11

I’m planning to start TTC later this year, and my desire to have a drug-free, natural birth (if it’s possible and advisable for my and my future baby) is being ridiculed and held up as naive hippy nonsense - despite me having researched my options to hell and back.

Of course I’ll be listening to my health care professionals, and my opinion might change once the contractions start, but I’d like to be shown a little respect.

• Occam's Blunt Razor says:

04:45pm | 21/06/11

kamikaze - I wouldn’t have any surgical procedure without pain relief.  Why is havig a baby so different?

• Lee says:

08:44pm | 21/06/11

kimikaze. After researching the options I had all three of my children drug free and I am far from a hippie.  You stick to you guns and tell everyone else to get stuffed. I told my doctor if he came anywhere near me with an epidural I would stick him with it.  I found concentrating on my breathing especially if I had a scent like from an oil burner helped as it gave me a point of focus. Just have an electric burner not the candle ones as they probably won’t allow those. Don’t be scared of pain it tells you you’re are alive. The biggest problem is when you are tired you are less able to cope with pain. Good luck

• Stephy says:

08:06am | 21/06/11

Nice article. My mum was pushing me to feed my son at 4 months of age, and the “official” guidelines said 6 months. I ended up starting him at 5 months and now he eats like crazy (without being overweight in the slightest). It’s my daughters turn now and she’s one week shy of 4 months old. From my experience with both I can say the moment they look interested in what you’re doing at the dinner table is a good time to try them on some stewed apple. Farax is recommended and all but good luck getting your bubs to eat it, it’s foul and often a trial to get in their mouth.

• TTFN says:

08:25am | 21/06/11

What a pointless article… just like this comment I guess.

• Jay-ded says:

08:44am | 21/06/11

Yepp.  Haven’t we already had this discussion a few months ago?  If a mother wants to breastfeed - well and good.  If she doesn’t - well and good.
      Most of the nurses will tell you that it’s the first lot of breast milk that is necessary for immunity.

• mike j says:

08:44am | 21/06/11

I kept hoping that I would stumble upon the magic formula to get my baby to eat, then I discovered soft Chicken McNuggets and serve ice cream.

I kept hoping that I would stumble upon the magic formula to get my baby to settle, then I discovered Xbox.

I kept hoping that I would stumble upon the magic formula to get my baby to concentrate, then I discovered Ritalin.

I kept hoping that I would stumble upon the magic formula to get my baby to eat, then I discovered The Magic® formula.

I kept hoping that I would stumble upon the magic formula to get my baby to renounce of all my personal responsibility towards it, then I discovered feminism.

• AliceC says:

11:05am | 21/06/11

So, it’s feminism’s fault that some parents are irresponsible? Hate to tell you this, but parents have been irresponsible far longer than the feminist movement.

• mike j says:

12:06pm | 21/06/11

They just used to keep it to themselves instead of writing self-serving blogs trying to abrogate the parental accountability of their entire gender.

“Looking back, I wish I had blocked out all their voices and just listened to my own.”

So what we should take from this article is that women’s intuition > medical science?

This is why so many kids are growing up with bogan names like Jayded.

• MamaH says:

08:53am | 21/06/11

Did you try contacting the Australian Breastfeeding Association?  My oldest son was born with a tongue-tie (so couldn’t latch on correctly), and also was in a full body brace for the first 7 weeks as he had hip-dysplasia (made him difficult to position comfortably)... these two things combined made for extremely difficult and very painful breastfeeding. I had two bouts of mastitis - the first quite severe.  I went along to my local ABA group with no great expectations as I didn’t know a great deal about the organisation, but I cannot credit them enough for the support they provide, the knowledge of the trained b/feeding counsellors and the advices and experience offered from other mums in the group.  My oldest is now 3 years old and still has night-time feeds, and my 14 month-old is still going strong with his breast-feeding (my youngest didn’t have the same conditions as my older son and we had trouble-free bfedding from day 1). As for introducing solids… I did it “by the book” at 6 months with my first, but with my second, I can’t even remember his age but it was more a case of letting him grab bits and pieces at the dinner table and far less concern about “what foods and what age”.  Both boys are strong as oxes and happy little boys.  One last opinion that I have is that breastfeeding can be excruciatingly painful in the first weeks and it can be so frustrating for both the mum and poor dad and other family members watching the pain and frustration when breastfeeding doesn’t come easily, but it does pass and it can be the most beautiful time of bonding and enjoyment - such a special thing to share with just mum and bub (not to mention the amazing immunoglobans and perfectly-tailored nutrition for bub!!).  And it is absolutely worth it (to me).

• TracyH says:

10:47am | 21/06/11

Good for you…but yours is the sort of attitude many new mum’s have had a gutful of…is the author now supposed to feel guilty because they didn’t try your method? Far out…mums (mostly) love their kids and kids love their mums. Most, breastfed or not, grow up and get on with life…you don’t get more love for still breastfeeding at 3 years of age…or any age for that matter. If further down the track your kid/s have trouble at school, are you going to think “why? I breastfed!!!”. Yes I’m happy for you that despite the hassle for the rest of your family you succeeded…but at what cost and for what benefit? Do your own thing, and let others do theirs.

• MummaH says:

02:15pm | 21/06/11

@TracyH
      I am all for doing my own thing and letting others do theirs - and in the general nature of the way a blog works, I have offered MY experience in a polite and non-threatening manner.  My experience is not going to be the same as the next person’s and that is what is great about being able to post a comment on a blog - how boring if everyone had the same opinion.  If simply stating my experience makes someone feel guilty then that is not of my doing and I have no intention of trying to instil guilt and I don’t think anyone should feel guilty if they have done what they think is the best thing for their child.  (I know not everyone thinks continuing to breastfeed a 3 year-old is the best thing for their child, but I think it is for mine - I believe in child-led weaning and I do not feel guilty for that).  You seem to think that I believe breastfeeding will prevent trouble at school or other social/behavioural issues?  I did not say that I believe that… all I believe is that breastfeeding is a wonderful, natural source of nutrients and immunity-boosting enzymes for bub from day 1, and it offers the added benefit of having regular intimate bonding time with your baby, and because of these things I think that the pain and frustration that can come with it is worth overcoming.  And I strongly believe the ABA to be a fantastic resource for mums having trouble with breastfeeding (or mums simply looking for a mums group).  I don’t expect everyone to feel the same way, but that is simply MY experience and MY opinion… which I am entitled to, just as much as you are to yours.

• Brendan says:

09:24am | 21/06/11

You would swear from reading this piece that the child will die if you make the wrong decision.

It won’t.

I can’t help but feel you’re simply seeking attention. Please try to remember that trying to look like a victim and get sympathy is needed and distasteful.

Best wishes for your child though, I’m sure that if you are stressed about these minor matters, you will be there for the kid when real issues come along.

Oh, and don’t forget to immunise the kid.

• Mumof three says:

10:27am | 21/06/11

Have you ever actually breastfed a baby Brendan? I can’t understand why you would feel the need to post such a nasty comment. There will be alot of new mums reading this in the same situation looking for some help and you have just labelled them as trying to get sympathy and playing the victim.  The message of the article was not to panic and to trust your own instincts, good advice for any new mum.

• Jem says:

10:38am | 21/06/11

Sometimes they will die, dietry allegies etc can have life long damage or death for babies. That’s a special circumstance.  Mostly babies are pretty resilient.

But all those studies that come out on a frequent basis that say things like ‘If a baby has X in the first few months of life, then they’re are ahappier/smarter/healthier/<insert term here>”  are driving a lot of the angst.

• Kika says:

03:00pm | 21/06/11

Maybe it’s coz Brendan isn’t a woman of childbearing years and can’t hear or see this propoganda at us. A few of my friends are having babies right now and have said that the pro-breast thing is everywhere! In hospitals, at the doctor everywhere. Its in your face. Just talking to them about all the things they are and aren’t supposed to be doing or buying… it’s enough to drive you crazy.

• Fiona says:

07:23pm | 21/06/11

Kika, I really love the idea of giving some formula company$$$ because I’m not giving my kid free breast milk. Breast feed or don’t. I won’t condemn you and I’m one of “the experts”,  but just remember a company like nestle has been quite happy to sell formula to mums in the 3rd world, who: have no money, no clean water, no way of sterilizing, will over dilute the milk etc. The reason there is all this hoopla is because of companies doing this sort of shonky business. That’s actually what makes my blood boil.

• mike j says:

09:36am | 21/06/11

I kept hoping that I would stumble upon the magic formula to get my baby to eat, then I discovered The Magic formula.

• Q says:

09:42am | 21/06/11

During pregnancy a woman should be handling her nipples, stretching them and getting them used to being handled.  Many women aren’t told to do this but it makes sense.  The nipple goes from being infrequenlty touched to being used every few hours - it needs to be prepared just as many women are told to prepare for the birth with massage and gentle stretching of the vagina.  It takes a few months for many women to get used to breastfeeding so time is your friend - it’s not a race to see who can do it the best or quickest - give it time.  I introduced solids at 4 months with both my daughters, the eldest was fussy every afternoon for 2+hrs and would not settle.  Half a tsp of rice cereal mixed with 20-30ml my breastmilk and then topped of with her normal feed was all it took - she was content.  Neither of my girls have food allergies.
      You need to be informed but you also need to be able to make decisions about what is right for you and your baby.
      Having said that I do know of newborns being given solid food (veggies and fruit) way to early (6 weeks) and I found that disturbing.

• Lee says:

10:58am | 21/06/11

I agree with toughening up of the nipples I rubbed mine with a face flannel and although it still hurt a bit I didn’t have cracked nipples and the pain was manageable. As for allergies it depends on a lot of luck all mine breastfed for at least a year all have allergies to cows milk which showed up while I was still exclusively feeding. 6 weeks old and exzema, 4 months old severe ear infections. With my youngest I am trying the teeth theory which is fruit and veg when they get their front teeth, meat when they get thier incisors and no grains other than rice until thier molars come through.  No matter what you do, some kids won’t have allergies and some will. I ticked all the boxes with my kids on recomendations for allergy prevention and they still got them to varying degrees. Just hoping the teeth theory works with the youngest . I can always dream but I’m not holding my breath.

• TracyH says:

11:05am | 21/06/11

Stretching the vagina…give me a break! What idiotic advice is this?? Seriously, are you saying women are actually advised to do this? Do any other primates do this??
      The article is about when to introduce solids…not about how world saving and earth shattering and nirvanaesque breastfeeding is/ should be/ isn’t…
      New research has found that the blindingly obvious result of waiting too long has resulted in a huge increase of allergies…again adding to the ever so delicate disposition of our future generation.
      I honestly can’t remember when mine started solids, except that it was quite early. I think with my son it was about 6 weeks. Why is that disturbing? He’s a perfect male specimen of health physically, and a decent, intelligent guy over all. My daughter might have been around 3 months and is likewise a great person, physically and emotionally. I’d say to young mums that after years and years of having children, the early months soon become a distant memory…we don’t have babies…we have humans til the day we die…enjoy the whole ride and do your own thing smile

• Aussie Mum says:

11:06am | 21/06/11

Are you kidding Q?  No matter how much you handle your nipples or put them in a vacuum cleaner to prepare them or stick a watermelon up your vagina to prepare it for childbirth, NOTHING can prepare any body part for breastfeeding or birth.

• TheRealDave says:

11:52am | 21/06/11

I tried my best to help my missus out with this…but apparently thats what got her knocked up in the first place…...everytime I try to help it always gets thrown back in my face….*Sheesh*

• Q says:

12:31pm | 21/06/11

Wow…some people need to chill.  Massaging the vagina and gently stretching it with slight pressure was suggested to help prevent the need for cutting or tearing.  It may work it may not but since it doesn’t hurt to try why carry on so much.  Same with the nipple handling, if you stretch them and handle them in the shower it may get them used to being touched, again since it doesn’t hurt why the drama.  As for introducing solid food at 6 weeks, the stomach is not prepared nor is the swallowing reflex fully developed.
      Your body is designed for birth and childbearing yet judging by the dramas many people have about this subject you would think not.

• TracyH says:

01:29pm | 21/06/11

That’s my whole point Q…the body is designed for this and can manage quite well without stretching etc…the drama stems from the plethora of ‘advice’...and I guess my kids must’ve had exceptional and unnatural stomachs for handling solids…no drama here…just incredulity that people have so little faith in the capabilities of vaginas and nipples.

• Kika says:

02:52pm | 21/06/11

What? I’ve never heard more rubbish. Do people know that the Vijayjay stretches itself every day every month?

• Outraged says:

03:29pm | 21/06/11

@TracyH- Shame on YOU! How dare you be so judgemental! Women need to support other women are realise we are all different and Q’s techniques work for some people! YOU are no the authority on every womans body, Tracy!

• Jane says:

09:49am | 21/06/11

Breast is best but there have always been babies that didnt take to it and mothers who struggled. The difference is we are now lucky enough to have high quality formula that we can substitute, else we would still have babies starving to death despite everything the mother is trying to do to get it to feed.

What is more important - a healthy baby or following the advice of others to the tee?

• Kez says:

11:09am | 21/06/11

I bottle fed my daughter from day 3. She also goes to bed at 11pm and drinks a glass of milo in bed while watching a DVD. She is the perfect weight, never gets sick, has perfect teeth, top of her Year 1 class academically, has perfect manners and no food allergies. Don’t let anyone tell you how to raise your child. You know what is best for your family situation.

• Fi says:

11:39am | 21/06/11

If she wakes up at 7/8, she’s not getting enough sleep. Little kids need around 10 hrs. You might not notice the effects now, but you will later. Consider at very least, 10pm.

Not wanting to tell you what to do, but I know a bit about the effects of sleep deprivation on a young brain.

• Jolanda says:

12:45pm | 21/06/11

I don’t know about this ‘so called’ pressure and this ‘so called’ wracked with guilt situation.  Sure disappointment when breastfeeding is not successful is expected and sure stress when things are not working out is also expected but this extreme level that is being presented is the minority not the norm and these type of women are in my opinion ‘over the top’ anyway.

It is going to get to the stage that we are not going to be able to communicate or share experiences or advice for fear of stressing or offending or upsetting someone to a level where they feel it is worthy of a blog.

• TracyH says:

01:05pm | 21/06/11

Also interesting news lately…in China they have bred cows that create human milk…so a question…would you give it to your baby, and if not, why not? I personally think genetically modifying any animal for the benefit of humans is inexcusable exploitation…but the ethical debates are fascinating!

• Kika says:

01:51pm | 21/06/11

How much genetic modification is happening? What is the difference between cow colustrum and human colustrum? Lactose?

• Brendan says:

01:52pm | 21/06/11

I fear that soon one of these cows will be sent back in time to murder Sarah Conner.

• Fiona says:

07:29pm | 21/06/11

Far different whey casein ratio to human milk and the proteins are far to “rich”. Not a lactation consultant, but that’s the basic difference kika

• Lisa H. says:

02:11pm | 21/06/11

Can;t believe all the emotion over this topic… older women push women to keep going because in many cases the pain of breast-feeding disappears quite quickly, and a troublesome start turns into smooth sailing.

My second baby was a poor feeder…so we gave in and put him on formula within a couple of months. He is still my fussy eater, likely to come down with colds and flu, racked with tonsillitis until they were removed etc etc. He is grown now, but at the time I often felt that if I had pursued breast-feeding in a more dedicated fashion, he may have had a better start.

My breast-fed children are more vigorous. But they were more vigorous from the start. It’s all water under the bridge, in the long term, is it not?

• Steve says:

04:07pm | 21/06/11

Yes it very quickly becomes water under the bridge. Just like delivery method also seems almost irrelevant after a short period of time.

I remember from my first anti natal classes that we were advised to make sure my wife got instruction from the midwife on the correct latching on by the baby. Ask the midwife if the baby is latching on correctly from the first feed. If is not going well before you leave hospital then remedial action needs to be undertaken. Fathers can play an oversight role because new mothers sometimes are reluctant to ask for help.

• TracyH says:

02:14pm | 21/06/11

@Brendan…funny!
      @Kika…the milk is genetically identical to human milk..in fact it IS human milk…the cows can produce as much of it as they can produce their own…so there would be heaps of it for all human babies world wide…so the thing is…is this a solution for mums who can’t breastfeed, and the millions in developing nations who otherwise would die? And if people balk at the thought, why do we not balk at the thought of drinking cows milk? Interesting stuff don’t you think?

• Occam's Blunt Razor says:

04:49pm | 21/06/11

Good article Amy.

Contented Little Baby by Gina Ford was brilliant for us.

• Occam's Blunt Razor says:

05:56pm | 21/06/11

In our experience, quite few maid-wife/maternity ward nurses need training in empathy and people skills.  Making brand new mum’s feel bad for not breast feeding just isn’t good PR.

• Fiona says:

07:35pm | 21/06/11

You’re right. We are our own worst enemy PR wise sometimes. You get good and bad in every profession, it just affects people on a more personal level when you’re a midwife/maternal & child health nurse.

• Lisa H. says:

06:46pm | 21/06/11

Actually, if the argument is actually whether it is okay to supplement breast milk with solids for a hungry baby from four-five months, my personal experience is that it seemed like the necessary next step at that time.
      So I did it. But breast feeding went on for aaaages after that.

Good on the author for caring enough about her baby to follow her instincts.
      Sometimes the medical people actually have pretty good advice though.
      It depends on the circumstances.

My own real advice can only be… if you’re in trouble with attaching, or with supply, in those critical early days…get an AUTOMATED pump. Don’t bother with handheld.

• Sickemrex says:

09:45pm | 21/06/11

I don’t know what the fuss is about regarding solids at 4 months - the Community Health nurses at the mum’s group I went to told us it was a good time to start if our kids were interested in food, and that we didn’t have to wait 6 months.  That was over a year ago.  My girl wasn’t (and still isn’t) a particularly hungry baby and she was happy enough to start gobbling Farex, yogurt and avocado.

But trying to get breastfeeding advice out of them was a different story.  My girl and I went through a process called “refusal” that I wouldn’t wish on anyone, and I got no useful advice from nurses or the breastfeeding association.  One suggestion was to feed her in the bath where we’d both be relaxed, what?!  Anyway, I persisted and eventually managed to breatfeed until the 12th month.  Can’t say I ever got the warm and fuzzies over it though, it was a source of nutrition for my girl but not the transcendental experience others seem to have.

Another disappointing area for advice from nurses and ABA was regarding weaning around 12 months.  I thought my girl was ready as she didn’t seem particularly interested in feeding anymore, but she had never been overly enthusiastic so it was a bit hard to tell.  Advice consisted of, and I quote, “why stop now?”  Uh, thanks.  Fortunately my mum was visiting and being a veteran of 3 BF kids back in the day, watched a feed, laughed and said she was ready for a boob free world.  The same “why stop now” nurse was concerned that my girl was also drinking milk out of a cup at nine months in case she became allergic.  The same nurse who recommended yogurt as an early food!

My mum was my best source of info.

• Robert Smissen of country SA says:

11:43pm | 21/06/11

Mothers knew what to do for thousands of years what to do & got on with raising babies long before there was any experts. As for when to start solids, let the child decide, my youngest grand daughter now 6 started solids at 14 weeks & just THRIVED. I find that the more “educated” the woman the more problems the mothers have, in fact a client of mine who worked at Helen Mayo House in Adelaide stated to me that over 50% of women who went there were either nurses or school teachers