Recently I was at an airport, about to set off on a 24-hour long haul flight.

Thank God it's recycling day tomorrow… Photo: AP.

If you’ve ever travelled on a plane and felt frustrated at hearing a crying baby on a nearby seat, multiply that frustration and stress by ten and you’ll understand what the parents are going through.

Having a young family myself, I’ve been there plenty.

Knowing this, I try to be as relaxed and open minded when I see other families embarking on long journeys; it’s stressful, tiring and often feels never ending.  A lovely family, who I’d earlier discovered had the same final destination as me, sat across from me in the airport restaurant with their two very young children.

I thought, ‘those poor guys, two children under three years of age on a long flight, here comes the pain’. A voice announced the boarding of our flight and we made a move to the gate. I offered to help the family with their bags and we set off.

“Do you not want to put those nappies in the bin?” I suddenly asked as I looked back and noticed that the lovely couple had left two, used and un-bagged nappies sitting on their restaurant table. “Nah, the waiter will get them!” was the reply. In an instant, the lovely couple were lovely no more.

Maybe some people think it’s no big deal, but personally, leaving soiled nappies sitting on a restaurant table is not only disgusting but terribly rude. It’s like going to the toilet, crumpling up the toilet paper and then expecting someone else to flush it down the toilet for you! It really got me thinking about peoples’ perception of what’s acceptable and what’s not.

I recently read in the Wentworth Courier an article entitled ‘Pigs in the Park’. The article discussed how locals in Sydney’s Bronte, Bondi and Tamarama beaches were outraged by the trashing of beachside parks. It went on to talk about how weekend beach goers abused the parks by getting heavily intoxicated and leaving their garbage, including smashed glass bottle strewn all over the. Pigs for sure.

It baffles me when I see things like that. I’m not suggesting that everyone should become environmentalists but surely it’s not rocket science to know what’s acceptable and what’s not; come on, people!

I continued to read the article, truly feeling the plight of the residents especially given my recent airport encounter. Suddenly a local resident’s quote caught my eye. It said “banning westies” could be a way of solving the problem. For those of you not from Sydney, this is referring to people who reside in the western district of Sydney.

What kind of quote is this? The article says the resident spoke jokingly but it begs the question of what underpins that joke. Has he voiced what other locals are thinking? Maybe I’m wrong but unless the person who spoke those words has recently conducted a census of the home addresses of regular beach goers, his quote is so up its own arse that it reeks of the same rubbish that fills the beach. So is that where inconsideration comes from?

Is it a case of do unto others as they do unto you? I’d doubt it – certainly for the most part I think it’s a case of who you are and how you’re brought up.  But that said, comments like ‘They should ban all westies’ certainly doesn’t do much in the way of creating harmony between residents and visitors.

It’s a funny old life; too much of something can desensitise you so much so that you feel absolutely nothing for it. If you can’t feel anything, how hard must it be then to show respect?
There will always be people who care only for themselves, but for everyone else, I think it comes down to mutual respect.

Thankfully the majority of us do our best to show just that   but those others, don’t they just drive you nuts?

• Phil says:

07:36am | 18/11/10

It’s all about good manners. People can’t be bothered to bin their rubbish at Macca’s etc when they have to walk past to exit. Not talking about teenagers..All ages! Someone is paid to clean it..their job. Good manners,being aware of and pleasant to others as your personal default state of being is a rare trait. Hard for kids to learn because they don’t see much of it.  Oh! and people should be able to comment or complain as of right,  but whingeing is poor form..Stop it now.

• Smidgeling says:

09:32am | 18/11/10

People in general look out for themselves first and others second. This goes for any type of social responsibility be it littering and nappies to cheating partners to people who put their handbag on the bus/train seat next to them.

Bad parenting and a lack of control on bullying are the obvious prime causes.

• CarbonDogg says:

08:06am | 18/11/10

I used to live in the East, and I can tell you that Bondi was indeed trashed every weekend by non-locals, “Westies” as it is put in the piece, and indeed they have no trouble with coming some place nice and then leaving it a disaster.

I also lived in one of our more southerly suburbs, and the locals treated every night like council collection night: we could never understand the number of mattresses these people would throw out!

Go live in Blacktown for a while and see how you feel about Westies. Then we can talk!

• Bruno the westie says:

12:21pm | 18/11/10

I recently moved to Fairfield West, having not wanting to spend close to 1 million dollars for a quarter of an acre for my kids to enjoy a decemt sized yard, and I tell you what, i like the people, theyre rough as guts but i like them, you know why they go to your suburbs and run amock, because they can, because you’re soft, try doing that in their suburbs and see how long you last, i’d be nice to westies if i was you because if they ever wanted to they would come to your suburb and take everything you have, and there is not a damn thing you could/ would do about it, westies are the people who would defend this country to the last if ever it was invaded, the rest of you would simply get on a plane/ boat and piss off to whereever it is your ancestors came from, to join a queue and complain about being thrown in detention, even though you complain about assylum seekers whilst sipping on your an-australian latte, even though the assylum seekers dont end up living anywhere near you, you know the above is true

• NEFFA says:

08:14am | 18/11/10

Its the cigarette butts littering the streets that really bugs me. its disgusting. how hard is it to find a bin?

• Snuffy1968 says:

03:11pm | 18/11/10

Personally i think that when you buy smoke you should supply DNA and then when the butts are found on the streets they get tested and if it yours you will pay for the DNA test ( about 1000 bucks ) and then get fined for littering ( probably about 300 bucks ) i would think that should be a good way to stop it happenening

• Ildiko says:

02:10pm | 19/12/10

I agree. I walk every morning on lovely, quiet, small streets and enjoy the sight of flowery gardens and the fresh air. And I really hate if a smoker walks there, because the whole street smells after they pass. Yes, even only one smoker is able to make the whole street smelly. That is really disgusting and frustrating. No one has a right to take the clean air from others!

• jc says:

08:15am | 18/11/10

Anyone under the age of 18 should be banned from long haul flights.

• Chewy says:

09:14am | 18/11/10

I take it you are not a parent who has relatives overseas?

• Matt says:

08:39am | 18/11/10

Recently went to one of my friends year 12 formals - for photo’s before hand.
      A group of ‘westies’ thought it would be appropriate to come drunk and swearing their heads off around families.
      Seriosly got to wonder if they thought that was appropriate . . .

• notSue says:

09:01am | 18/11/10

Yep.  Drat those others! LOL!
      It does come down to mutual respect, you’re correct.

But Damien, can you please tell me why the baby was being changed in the restaurant anywhere near the tables? Ewwww! That’s bad enough, let alone leaving the dirty ones on an eating surface! Barf! Rabbits, now my morning tea is all spoiled.
      wink

• Chewy says:

09:13am | 18/11/10

I think the ban westies is a fair call. I put forward that most the problems on weekends are caused by people from outside the area. So I could certainly understand local sentiment in that regard.
      A police officer once told me that if you put a baracade on the harbour bridge North shore crime rates would plummet.  Politically correct ? No.
      Factually correct ? Yes.

• Adrian says:

11:32am | 18/11/10

Charge for beach parking. Or if they already do, charge more. This would decrease the amount of people that have to drive to get there. Those within walking distance or close enough to take public transport without a hassle wouldn’t be affected.
      Though young families who can’t exactly take prams, towels, survival kits and those massive beach tents would also have problems. But then again that would also mean less used nappies lying around….

• Amy says:

09:15am | 18/11/10

I think your problem here, Damien, is that you don’t quite understand what the guy means when he says, “Westies”.  You’ve correctly identified ‘Westies’ as people coming from the Western Suburbs of Sydney, but you’ve failed to take the next step.  Allow me.

Sydney is on the East coast of Australia, therefore, the Western Suburbs aren’t the ones with the beaches.  So if people from the Western Suburbs go to the beach areas you identified, like Bronte and Bondi, they are travelling to areas well away from their own places.  The people with the complaints about the state of the beaches are local residents who have to wake up in the morning and clean up the mess.  Very few people who live there would make a (dangerous) mess like that in their own ‘backyard’ every Saturday night.  So when a local resident says, “Ban the Westies”, he doesn’t mean, “People who live in the West are bogans and we don’t want them here” he means that he blames people who come in, make a mess and then leave for the state of the area.  Honestly, joking or otherwise, he has a point.

• Andrew says:

09:40am | 18/11/10

Yeah I can’t really understand people who leave their trash on the tables in the food court etc.

I assume they have problems and can’t clean up after themselves.

Sort of like those people who can’t put on pants properly so their underwear shows. Their helpers really shouldn’t let them go outside like that.

• Keybored says:

09:44am | 18/11/10

The people who litter in Bronte Park on Friday and Saturday nights are actually teenagers from the area. I know because I used to be one of them.

• GB says:

09:55am | 18/11/10

Honestly leaving soiled nappies out on a restaurant table where people are going to eat is just disgusting. Your child, your mess, you clean it up!

• Have tried to stop them says:

10:08am | 18/11/10

This is a very good article Damien.  Littering is a real bug bear of mine.  I hang onto my rubbish if there is no bin around until I find one.  Do you think I can instil that into my teenagers?  No.  I can’t get through to them.  They just drop whatever, where ever.  I make them pick it up but it doesn’t stop them the next time.  I hate to think what they are like when I am not around.  I have tried and tried to get them to do the right thing.

Nappies on an eating area, OMG, that is so not on.
      I agree with NotSue - why were they being changed in the restaurant area when there are so many baby change areas at the airport?

There are a number of out of area youths that invade other areas.  A lot of crime/vandalism is done by youths from the Central Coast in the area that I line in.

Thank you again Damien for this article.

• nick says:

12:11pm | 18/11/10

that means you’re either not punishing them enough, didn’t start early enough or haven’t explained properly to them why littering is bad. When I was too young to get an allowance I got a slap on the hand each time I litter. Once I started getting an allowance, I lose 5% of my weekly allowance each time I litter. By the time I was 12 or so I was fully aware that littering is a bad thing. Oh and I only stopped being a teenager a couple of years ago.

• dustylee says:

06:33am | 19/11/10

Dear Damien, I totally agree with everything you have said, except calling these people pigs.
      pigs are cleaner than people, so calling these people pigs is an insult to the pigs.  I would call these people monsters.  In 10 years i have seen total disrespect for the country from all nationalities.

• Wilson says:

10:10am | 18/11/10

Wow. Judging by the comments on this forum, xenophobia is well and truly alive, especially in the eastern suburbs - where I myself live.

And to Chewy says:09:13am | 18/11/10

Factually correct ? Yes.

Your statement:

Politically correct: Not even close.
      Factually correct: No.
      Grammatically correct: No.

• The Badger says:

11:02am | 18/11/10

Wilson,
      Did you ever hook up with that castaway Tom Hanks again?
      I thought you had a relationship that would would last forever.

• Chewy says:

11:10am | 18/11/10

Oh yeah sure the copper had no idea where the criminals were from.
      Grammaratically giving people the once over is poor form. Argue points sure, but once grammar gets trumped on BLOGS it usually means the arguement is weak.

11:29am | 18/11/10

..’.arguement is weak’.
      (Reminds me of a bloke i knew called Aguecheek.)
      And hell i’m still takin me empty schooner glass back to the bar, and chuckin me Starbucks cup in the bins etc.
      (Must be me bogan/rustic upbringing, or so I’ve been told ).

• notSue says:

12:04pm | 18/11/10

@chewy Grammaratically?? hehe.. that’s cute, I’ll have to remember that one - even though it’s hideously incorrect! LOL!

• Chewy says:

12:51pm | 18/11/10

haha Folks I dont claim to be king spelling bee on blogs…Doing other things as I type.

• Wilson says:

01:42pm | 18/11/10

To Badger:

Oh come on…I’ve had that one since the movie came out, it’s old smile

To Chewy:

You’re not even making it difficult for me to correct you “Grammaratically”.

And I’m sure ONE police officer SURELY knew where all criminals were from.

• Steph says:

12:10pm | 20/11/10

Ah, how could the police possibly know where the criminals are from, it’s not like they have the adresses of… oh, wait, they DO have the adresses of offenders! Well, there you go.

Re: Grammar. I once saw a sentence typed out with no punctuation at all. When I tried speaking it aloud, I was gulping for air at the end. Why do we go to school again? Can’t be to learn things like our own written language….

• SM says:

10:31am | 18/11/10

Inner city foreign business owners dumping putrid piles of rubbish on the footpath outside their restaurants/shops every day - attempting to turn Sydney into a replica of Tokyo/Lebanon/Nepal

• NicoleG says:

10:45am | 18/11/10

What sort of a filthy pig puts dirty nappies on a table? Did they change the baby on the table? Disgusting, to say the least!

• Anita says:

11:05am | 18/11/10

It’s manners. That’s all. Very old fashioned I know but no one seems to have them anymore. Because the rights of the individual are more important you see - the right to crap up any public area, the right to anti-social behaviour, the right to leave soiled nappies for someone else to pick up. It doesn’t matter where people are from, manners have gone the way the dinosuar. Imagine the difference in our society if everyone would wrack their memories and dig up some manners?

• Steph says:

12:47pm | 20/11/10

Sad, isn’t it? But true. Numero Uno comes first. Will we recognise the problem in time to stop the future generations turning out like this, or is it too late and it’s already ingrained into society?

Can we change?

• GingerKitty says:

11:06am | 18/11/10

So much “westie” bashing going on…
      Seriously, you guys who think you’re better than others have some massive psychological issues, I urge you to go see a therapist ASAP.

And btw, teenagers, no matter where they are from, will always be a little stupid. Don’t tell me the idiots who are going to run a muck at schoolies are all “westies”..

• James Hunter says:

11:14am | 18/11/10

kids nowadays have no respect for teachers, Police,bus drivers and parents .they do as they like because there is no penalty . its a spare the rod and spoil the child situation. these disrespectful kids become disrespetful teenagers and they become disrespectful adults.
      Parents , and teachers should be allowed to smack or cane kids . It worked for millions of years untill a few touchy feely do gooders did a lot of harm.
      The courts and legislation need a whole big overhaul and a few asses need kicking.

• St. Michael says:

01:36pm | 18/11/10

“I see no hope for the future of our people if they are dependent on
      frivolous youth of today, for certainly all youth are reckless beyond
      words… When I was young, we were taught to be discreet and
      respectful of elders, but the present youth are exceedingly wise
      [disrespectful] and impatient of restraint”

—Hesiod, 8th century BC.

Just thought I’d use something a bit different from the obligatory quote from Plato that should be going here right about now.

• Bully says:

11:48am | 18/11/10

It is obvious that manners are not taught in the household anymore., either the parents don’t have time, or they themselves don’t have basic manners. I am now 32 and had always had manners reinforced when I was a child. I will never forget the elderly woman (in her 70’s) at Campbelltown Railway stn, stuck at the bottom of the stairs with two heavy bags (The lift was broken, again) with a worried look on her face, people were bumping into her to get past. I walked over, asked her if she wanted help and carried her bags for her, it took 30 seconds out of my day and she was abundantly happy someone had the decency to actually help her. On the train,  I will always give my seat to the elderly, pregnant, disabled, etc. If I don’t have a seat to offer,  I always ask young able bodied people to get up and give their seat to the elderly lady/chap, pregnant woman, etc, that can hardly stand up on a fast moving train. If they scowl, I lean over and exactly say “Get off the f#cking seat, or I will drag you off” (I know, doesn’t sound too polite, but it’s very effective). Then apologise to others who had to hear my tirade. Some people just need a lesson in manners.

• JessB says:

12:52pm | 18/11/10

I wonder what you’d do to the old lady I saw Tuesday night who pushed onto the crowded train before people had finished getting off?
      I was seriously tempted to push her back out! Or at least promise her that I wouldn’t let the train leave without her (I was standing in the doorway, so I could have blocked the door to give her a second to step on).
      It’s not always young people who make a mess or are disrespectful. A bit more courtesy from everyone, no matter how old, would make the world a better place.

• grumpy old man says:

12:39pm | 18/11/10

If you are over 50 and want some fun on the train, next time you hear a young thing complaining because they don’t have a seat, stand up and give them yours!. It sure embarrasses them.

• madc says:

01:11pm | 18/11/10

Unfortunately, as the years have progressed so have manners and consideration disappeared. So many think it’s all about “them”  and NO the people serving are NOT paid to clean up faeces.
      Respect for so many things like law, age, space, people no longer seem to exist for so many and tolerance has become a foreign concept to be replaced by impatience ... NOW!!!  It’s not where you live, it’s how you live and are reared. Thanks for the article Damien, indeed thought provoking

• Sludger says:

01:54pm | 18/11/10

You seem to be all so full of yourselves.  I live on Ettalong Beach (Central Coast near Woy Woy).  We have absolutely beautiful beaches, and for most of the year they are pleasant, clean and uncluttered. Then comes holidays etc.  What happens?  All you city people come up and when you leave the place is a putrid mess.  Litter, cigarette butts and needles on our beach.  People walking down the shops spitting, swearing, drunk.  I don’t care if you are from Balmain or Rooty Hill, you morph into uncaring pigs.  And no, we don’t need you for the tourist dollar.  We don’t want you.  Don’t slag out the Westies, they are no better or worse than any of you city creeps.

• notSue says:

02:44pm | 18/11/10

I tend to agree with you, Sludger. I regularly visit a sleepy little seaside town that is normally (in the off-season) very neat and tidy. When the holiday hordes arrive, they seem to forget all about rubbish receptacles, road rules and the effect of decibels overnight. They don’t live there, so they don’t care. I suppose it’s a bit like the complaints of Gold Coast residents at schoolies time.

Your manners are not a function of where you live, they are a function of your upbringing, as Damien is saying. Blaming ‘westies” for all the wrongs is ridiculous.

• trixie melodian says:

04:05pm | 18/11/10

yep, they are known around our way (just up at Palm Beach across the water from you, Sludger!) as “upfers”. ie they just “come upfer the weekend” or “Just head upfer Christmas hols”.

I find the wealthier end of this group - ie the ones from the Eastern Suburbs who have their holiday home in Palmy or Whale Beach (and visit for three weeks a year and leave it empty the rest of the time) tend to do less rubbish throwing and donuts in carparks and spend their time enforcing ridiculous rules and regulations that are ignored by locals the rest of the year.

They get snotty about where you park your car, where you walk your dog and how loud you play your music. If they all went back to where they cam from, perhaps property prices in the area would drop enough so that locals could buy in the area and it wouldn’t be a ghost town for 40 weeks of the year!

• notSue says:

05:53pm | 18/11/10

Interesting, Trixie. I guess you can ignore the niceties(if you;re like that) during the off season because there’s not so many folk about in your lovely sleepy hollow, but when it gets packed, (and provides a huge cash injection into your “ghost town” )it gets tougher. Where you park your car, how loud your music is and where you walk your dog mean a tad more when you’re tripping over your neighbour!

Tell me. where do the locals live then, if not locally? LOL!

• vic says:

02:40pm | 18/11/10

Bruno the westie, learn to use punctuation and a spell checker then maybe people will take you seriously. All making stupid ambiguous threats does is prove the point you’re trying to refute.
      I’ve lived in the East and I now live in the West. I can tell you for a FACT and from experience, what the people in the East say is true. The place is beautiful during the week then every weekend the blowins come in and trash the place. You westies are only getting angry because you know it’s the truth.

• MadMick says:

06:36pm | 18/11/10

So, to sum, then….....people who litter aren’t very nice. Another amazing revelation

• nothing muvh else to do says:

08:44pm | 18/11/10

the westies are not the only problem. there’s also the case of the rich north shore kids who think they can get away with anything because of the great clarss divide. travelling to the city on new years eve last year on the train, via the north shore, the behaviour was disgusting. at Wahroongah station a massive group of kids got on, off their tits and still drinking, swearing and abusing other passengers. the behaviour then deteriorated again to the point of screaming “knox” at the top of their lungs for a good 20 minutes. once everyone had enough of it, one girl in her 20’s turned around and told them to pull their heads in. their response was that if she didn’t like it, she was more than welcome to change carriage.
      in short, it’s not just the westies that wreak havoc, it’s just anyone with the mentality that they’re invincible.

• Vicki PS says:

12:56am | 19/11/10

Arggh, as a recently-qualified harumphodite, I am all too ready and willing to mutter and snort about declining manners and simple courtesies.  I used to train groups of public employees in practical ethics and conduct, and one of the points I took pains to get across was that it is easy to underestimate the real power of simple customary courtesies in stopping us from ripping each other’s throats out.  Manners do matter.

I feel Damiens’ pain over the nappies on the table (bleaurgh!)  I visited the UK in 1998-99 (not long after the Manchester bombing), and recall feeling terribly anxious about the fact that there was nowhere to dispose of my lunch wrappings in all of Manchester Victoria rail station.  All refuse bins had been removed as a security measure, and there was no alternative but to leave rubbish sitting for one of the many cleaners to pick up.  It felt so wrong!

• R says:

09:04am | 19/11/10

Dirty nappies on a restaurant table?! I have a 3 year old son and I make sure I leave the table as clean as possible, which means wiping up his spilt babycine with serviettes, sweeping his crumbs onto a plate, etc. The attitude that it’s the waitestaff’s job to clean up after the extra mess your child makes is revolting.

• Ildiko says:

03:00pm | 19/12/10

Unfortunately sometimes there are big differences between cultures and cultures. I personally would not accept this attitude at all and not just because of “is not only disgusting but terribly rude.” but from hygienic reason too. However I saw a documentary about an overpopulated, huge, Asian country where is okay to step over other people’s poo on the street. I do not care about them, because they live far from me but I really would not tolerate this irreverent behaviour in my environment. …as I can not digest the fact that on this morning someone stole the most beautiful, blooming little tree of our street which was close to our gate.

• hyperrune says:

11:55am | 17/02/11

I don’t think Damien is saying ‘Westies didn’t cause the problem’. Assuredly, SOME of them probably did. But what, I think, he IS saying is: ‘not ALL Westies caused this’. There may be innocent people coming to the beach and doing the right thing, not making a mess. If all Westies are banned, it might very well solve the problem - but it might also punish innocent people who had done nothing wrong, yet are not allowed to use the beach just because they live in a certain postcode.

I think the message is, don’t be discriminatory. Everyone faces labels and accusations which may be true to some, but not to others. If you’re white, you’re ‘white trash’ or ‘bogan’. If you’re not Australian-born, you’re a ‘damn foreigner’. If you’re religious, you must be trying to preach to everyone. If you’re athiest, you must be a pagan. Certainly, some labels suit the people they’re applied to. But so many other people get lumped with labels they don’t deserve, and shouldn’t have to carry.

Whatever your label or affiliation, is it too much to ask people to THINK, to try to see people as individuals with unique circumstances, rather than a generalized crowd of clones who can be quickly judged and/or easily made into collective scapegoats?

I’m sure some Westies are nice, and neat, and try to do the right thing, but some aren’t. And the same can be said for every other suburb in the world. We can’t all please each other all the time. That’s why we’re all different people, not a bunch of clones with a single hive-mind. It’s inconvenient, but that’s the way it is.