In a major NRL bombshell, departing Melbourne Storm player Greg Inglis has hinted that he might actually play rugby league in 2011.

A rare image of Greg Inglis with a ball.

The star centre was snared last week by the Brisbane Broncos on media and sponsorship deals worth hundreds of thousands of dollars. But this website can exclusively reveal he is also set to take up a surprise playing role to the tune of $300,000 a year.

“Obviously my main priority will be the off-field stuff, especially my appearances on The Footy Show,” Inglis said. “Though whether I assume the role of the tryhard funny boofhead or the straight boofhead is still to be decided.

“There’s even the chance I’ll be asked to be the boofy loudmouth who talks boofily over the top of the other boofheads, although competition for that role is obviously fierce.

“Look, I’ll just be happy to be see my name on The Footy Show team sheet in any position,” Inglis added. “And who knows? As mentioned, I may also play some actual football.”

Inglis was forced to admit his playing plans when several pairs of football boots were spotted in moving boxes bound for Brisbane. But the most devastating centre since Mal Meninga gave no indication of the number of on-field appearances Broncos fans can expect in 2011.

“I guess I’ll squeeze in whatever I can between in-store promotional appearances,” the 23 year old said. “This is all about loyalty.”

Loyalty and the Inglis name have gone hand in hand since the product of the NSW coastal town of Macksville decided to play State of Origin match for his “native” Queensland.

Meanwhile, Western Sydney AFL recruit Israel Folau says he is inspired by the commitment of his former Storm and Queensland team-mate.

“Greg’s a hero and a role model to me,” Folau said. “Like him, I list my occupation as ‘footballer’, and like him, I earn far more from off-field activities. Greg really embodies the romance, passion and professionalism of the modern footballer.”

In late breaking news, fashion model and Sunday social pages regular Michael Clarke is considering fitting a frontline Ashes batting role into his hectic summer schmoozing schedule.

Don’t miss: Get The Punch in your inbox every day

Get The Punch on Facebook

• MB says:

08:10am | 19/08/10

Cracker Anthony. Sad thing is, I reckon a lot of people would read it and say: “what’s so funny about that?”  Do you think the Greg Inglis saga has gone on just a little too long for the bloke earning $40K a year hammering in railway sleepers at Ipswich.  ABout 3 months too long. .

• ange says:

09:23am | 19/08/10

Heheh good stuff Ant wink

• Ben says:

10:04am | 19/08/10

Your comment:I’m willing to bet if you were offered a hundred thousand dollar raise to write for a competitor to the punch, with an oppurtunity to get an extra two hundred to wear a certain brand of shirt while writing for a competitior to the punch you would take the money too. Pot. Kettle. Black.

• Ant Sharwood says:

10:31am | 19/08/10

Bugger, just the third commenter and you’re onto me, Ben. Damn. You’re right. I’m a miserable jealous bastard who wishes he had third party arrangements, and this yarn has nothing to do with the skewed state of modern sport. So anyway… wanna sponsor me?

• DoubleDuh says:

11:27am | 19/08/10

At least we wouldn’t be subjected to the bullsh*t circus that goes with it. Sure, take the money - but don’t expect us to care while it goes back and forth. Perform on the park or go grab a Sherrin (and disappear into Mexican obscurity). Can’t wait to read your next instalment Sharwood for BensRedundantObservations.blogspot.com from the spa on your private jet Ant!

• Sheedy's Left Foot says:

10:43am | 19/08/10

To be honest, I feel a bit sorry for Greg. Ok compared to the average battler he earns a decent wage, but the reality it as an elite athlete he isn’t that well paid. Look at someone like Tim Cahill who earns more in a season that the whole of an NRL club’s salary cap and you can see the disparities.

Sure there may be people who say that what sports stars earn is immoral, but if I only had a 10 year career, I would try to earn every bit of coin I could, no matter where it came from.

• Markus says:

11:32am | 19/08/10

True. If it was truly all about the money he would have taken one of the offers to play Rugby Union in France or Japan, both which would have been around AUD$1 million (Sonny Bill was offered $2million to stay playing rugby in France next season but turned it down for a shot at the Rugby World Cup).

• Tim says:

11:44am | 19/08/10

Say it isn’t so Ant.
      I can’t believe that Inglis might actually be forced to play football to supplement the pittance he earns from his off field exploits.
      The NRL really needs to take a good hard look at themselves.

• S.L says:

01:27pm | 19/08/10

I’m waiting to see the ARU of AFL offer him $1 more per season and you won’t see the turncoat for breakfast!
      Loyalty? He couldn’t even spell it! (Like most NRL players).
      Then again I suppose compared to Melbourne he has a chance of walking down a street in Brisbane and getting recognised such is the impact of the Storm on the Victorian psychy!

07:19pm | 19/08/10

Last week i bus-drove a load of Broncos members to Suncorp, and on the return run, after their team got done by the Eels (apt name), yer shoulda seen the long faces !
      Mr Inglis, there’s one thing yer can do between now and then, and that’s handcuff Mr. Lockyer to a football, cause he’s just gotta keep playing.

• John says:

01:38pm | 20/08/10

One thing that is pellucidly clear to me - Inglis has had his finger on the button of exactly how much he would earn with the Broncos, which makes it entirely improbable that he did not know that he and players of his calibre were part of the Storm salary cap rort.