There has been some debate over the last few days regarding how excited we should be that Cadel Evans won a bike race.

Fair shake of the sauce bottle! Let the man drink his champers in peace. Photo: The Australian.

First things first… can’t we just enjoy the moment and soak up the celebrations before these arguments kick off?

His celebratory champagne had barely stopped fizzing before our collective joy was being rained upon.

I recently witnessed a man propose to his partner atop the Sydney Harbor Bridge. I said: “Congratulations, good on you both”. I thought: “What’s the point of getting married? It’s a massive waste of money and what a corny clichéd proposal in front of a group of strangers”. But I kept those thoughts to myself because I could see how happy they were and it would be selfish of me to not let them have that moment in the sun. I’ll give them my unpopular anti marriage speech next time I see them.

Can’t we have fun and smile and celebrate and feel good without being mocked? Since when is joyous, peaceful, community celebration a crime?

“It’s only sport”, they say. I genuinely feel a little sad for people who say that. Many of my sweetest childhood memories exist within the framework of sport.

Sitting on the hill at Adelaide Oval watching Test cricket with my Dad, watching the 1978 VFL grand final on our colour Rank Arena with my Mum, Dad getting me out of bed to see the final moments of the Americas Cup in 1983.

I can’t even count the strangers I have hugged whilst watching both the Socceroos and Chelsea play soccer. Not much else would push me to hug a stranger but the scoring of a goal in soccer creates an instant moment of shared joy and exaltation.

I can remember my grandpa telling me that during the great depression Don Bradman, Phar Lap and the footy were the things that put smiles on faces and kept a nation distracted from the wear and tear of daily life.

Following his release from Robben Island Nelson Mandela chose the Rugby World Cup to let the world know that South Africa was back, baby!

Tell Jesse Owens or Muhammad Ali that ‘it’s only sport’.

Tell the hundreds of excited Auskickers who run out onto the MCG each Saturday that ‘it’s only sport’.

Tell the thousands of athletes around the world who have used their prowess to escape poverty, crime and desperation that ‘it’s only sport’.

Tell the 220,000 people jammed into the MCG every weekend that ‘it’s only sport’.

Sport binds us together – families and communities alike. We follow the journey or race together and we celebrate as one. It’s shared good news and the fact that we can share it with so many people amplifies that joy.

Cadel’s achievement, by any measure, was very special and cause for great celebration. Even my girlfriend who generally is not a sports lover stayed awake with me and marveled at his grit and determination over the last two nights.

“He’s not a hero, he’s a sportsperson”, they say. I’m happy to accept that in a broader sense athletes are not heroes. However, within the context of their sports they can put in heroic performances. Cadel’s was a heroic performance.

“I wish we’d acknowledge real heroes”, they say. Ummm, we do - all the time. We absolutely acknowledge them, as we should when such heroic deeds are performed.

We will never fill the MCG for a research scientist because staring at a petri dish for twelve years isn’t that exciting even if the microscope is projected to the big screen.  But we will absolutely applaud the results of that research.

There are Nobel prizes, Australia Day honours lists and various other acknowledgements offered to Australian scientists, doctors, politicians, teachers and authors.

Moira Kelly was deservedly acknowledged by all and sundry for her tireless, selfless and committed work in bringing Trishna and Krishna to Melbourne from Bangladesh for their life saving operation.

The public and the media always acknowledge the bravery of CFA rescue workers during all manner of fire, flood and storm.

The work of Fred Hollows continues to be acknowledged to this day.

Digger Benjamin Roberts-Smith was recently embraced by the nation after receiving a Victoria Cross.

The difference with these heroes is that their work, sadly, is attached to bad or difficult news. So it’s with head bowed and tear in eye that we nod in their direction.

Sporting achievements are attached to good news, which is why, in a world bereft of truly good news, we jump up and down and punch the sky and call for a day off. Sporting achievements on the scale of Cadel Evans’ performance don’t happen very often but when they do, let us have our moment in the sun.

• Mahhrat says:

06:35am | 29/07/11

Lehmo, I think your question goes simply beyond sport, and asks the question:

“Why can’t we celebrate the good things in life more than fear the bad?”

The answer to that question is because being unhappy is a lot easier that achieving true happiness.  Rather than put in the extreme effort or introspection required to make yourself happy, too many people today define themselves by their unhappiness.

So many people get down on themselves because they listen to how bad the world is for so many, realise they don’t really have those problems and this translates into guilt. It’s reinforced by media, by advertisers, anyone who would use your fear, your guilt, to take money off you.

We are told that we have to be guilty for everything - that we in the first world should somehow feel bad simply because we had the good fortune to be born into the first world.

I recognise that I have been incredibly fortunate, and I always make sure I remember that on a regular basis.  Except for the very most unfortunate of us, we all have homes, food to eat, cars to drive and entertainment (even sport!) to enjoy.

Cadel wasn’t a focus for anti-sport angst, per se, but rather anti-human angst.  We can’t celebrate the truly good things in life - no matter where the “heroes” come from - because doing so triggers that latent “guilt” we are programmed to feel in order to better control us.

Absolute rot, of course.  We are not all elite - if we were, nobody would be elite.

People, enjoy the success or happiness of others.  Stop looking to bring everyone down to your perceived level.  You are better than you think you are.  All the elite have done is realised their full potential and had the courage to realise it.

• Chris L says:

05:51pm | 29/07/11

Mahhrat, you are usually very insightful, but in this case I must disagree.

The truth is that no-one is slagging off at Cadel. This whole thing was sparked off by Mia Freedman being asked what she thought of the TDF with the expectation that she would dutifully gush enthusiasm. The fact that she didn’t, and actually said she wasn’t into sport seems to have shaken the country the way pictures of the prophet Muhammed shake the muslim world.

Seriously, no-one has insulted Cadel except to say they don’t care about the TDF. It’s not anti-sport or anti-human, it’s a neutral position.

• Chrissy says:

08:36pm | 29/07/11

I love sport but i realize many other people dont, so it didnt bother me at all what Mia said about the win.

What i did find funny and ironic was her choice to make fun of his name…...Someone with her name really shouldnt be poking fun at other peoples names. It got me wondering if she was picked on at school or soemthing because of her name and this was her chance to get her poorly aimed revenge or something. Poorly done Mia someone like i thought would have had more class….

• S.L says:

07:21am | 29/07/11

Well said Lehmo but there are many Aussies in the world sporting arena that don’t get shoved down our throats like the ones in sports the Aussie media pays attention to. Participants in baseball, European and American motorsport outside F1 and Moto GP, speedway, basketball and soccer to name a few get little to no recognition back home. Now James Magnusen has won the 100m at the World Champs watch the media put him on a pedistal until well after London…...........

• chrisp says:

02:26pm | 29/07/11

I agree, SL, however pro cycling is one of those niche sports. Unless someone like Evans or O’Grady rips a big win, or there is a drugs scandal, the Aussie media don’t usually give a toss. You can count on one hand the number of journos who can write competently about the sport, and for the record, Kevin Andrews ain’t one of them

• Phil says:

07:31am | 29/07/11

Australians have a history of ripping anyone who achieves something great a new one, people just cant be happy for anyone else here as they are always so bitter and angry about everything.
      Even simple things like friends who get promotions, a new car, after years and years of saving getting a deposit and buying a house etc.

• Michael N says:

11:29am | 29/07/11

Oh Phil - who hurt you? I suggest that you find out where Lehmo watches his soccer and then you might just snare yourself a hug. In the mean time, try being happy fella and you might just find that those around you are too. (And if nothing else, it’s Friday.)

• BD says:

07:44am | 29/07/11

Well said lehmo….you are spot on

• sporthater says:

07:56am | 29/07/11

Don’t get upset or excited about that poor women who went on national TV and put a downer on sporting victories and Cadel Evans in particular.
      Spare a thought for this poor woman, she makes her money from being a gossip monger and sadly not one the viewing public has taken to. Her show Mamamia on Fox lasted maybe 2 shows before it was withdrawn. She needed desperately to get her name up in headlines. Please have sympathy for her, her eggshell personality will crumble if we don’t coddle her.

• Shane says:

12:58pm | 29/07/11

Yikes, @sporthater, you’re a tad bitter.
      Oh and she might have a failed TV show, but she’s still more famous than you.

• Jason Todd says:

08:17am | 29/07/11

Lehmo, I take your point. The problem that I have with letting sport have it’s moment in the sun though, is that it’s never been told that between eleven and three, it should slip under a tree.
      I recognise that most people enjoy watching sports. I recognise that many of our sports men and women are elite athletes at the top of their games and that their achievements are to be celebrated and rewarded. In principle, I have no problem with either of these concepts.

However, have you ever taken the time to stop and imagine what it is like to be one of the many Australians who considers the sports section “that useless bit at the back?”. Our culture is so steeped in this sports-worship, that to hold any opposing view is seen as abnormal. It seems that every damn day there is some Aussie sporting achievement that must hold the spotlight and be gazed upon with awe and admiration. It must be discussed. It must be dissected. And it must be relived over and over again second by glorious second.
      The reason that people hit back is that every now and then, they get tired of listening to it. They get tired of being told “You absolutely must care about this great achievement”. They get tired of seeing great sportsmen (but questionable role models) elevated to the level of gods and being held up as an example for all to emulate. Sometimes, we need to step back and take a breather.

I have spent my whole life on the outside of the sports world. It holds zero interest for me, and to me, it IS just sport. I concede, that people who have dedicated their lives to the thing will have a different view and may be offended. In the same way that an artist who spent 10 years painting a series of multicoloured blobs on canvas will likely be offended if you called his art “Just a pile of blobs.” The fact of the matter is, I am a thousand times more likely to go to the MCG to see a scientist summarise 12 years of research work than to watch anything resembling a football game. I realise that I am the minority, but I am not alone either.

• centurion48 says:

09:33am | 29/07/11

Jason, when you go to the MCG to hear a scientist summarise research then you already know the outcome. Being a particpant or spectator at a sporting event is greatly enhanced because the outcome is unknown and the contests where there is a last minute change in fortune are the greatest contests of all. That is why Cadel Evans victory is so memorable. He had to reverse the trend and win it on the last day when many people had written off his chances of winning.

• Luke W says:

09:55am | 29/07/11

Wait, so who do you barrack for?

• Potato says:

10:01am | 29/07/11

But Jason, if you go to see a talk by a scientist like Lord Christpher Monckton ………  (ha ha ha, sometimes I just amuse myself SOOOO much…..I know I know….I shouldn’t put monck-face and ‘scientist’ in the same sentence and I apologies to anyone who knows anything about science…..but I really couldn’t help myself…..yes I know he’s a clown with to training, no title, no common sense and no purpose in life, but seriously, read those first few lines again and you’ll see how humourous it is –especially for someone like you (Jason) who obviously appreciates ‘science’ and ‘evidence’)…

Anyway…as I was saying…when you go see a talk (by a real scientist), don’t you revel in the fact that there is a secret little group of people that you have something in common with….

I’m a keen cycling fan, and LOVE the Cadel win, I love that its in the media at the moment and all that.

But….I equally love it when I go to a little concert, by an unknown musician and share that moment with maybe only a few hundred people.

I don’t regard the ‘appreciation’ as anything less, I just regard it as different.

People who are all at the top of their game (be they sportspeople, scientists, artists or whatever) deserve praise.

I don’t necessarily understand much of the art in the world, but I won’t do what Mia Freedman and say, when someone has won some major prize, that ‘its only art…’ and nor would I say that any scientist that ‘it’s just petri dishes..’….

If a million people want to cheer a dude that won something on a bike then great…. If 100 want to cheer a scientist then that’s great too….but I don’t equate the number of people cheering with the overall ‘greatness’ of the effort/achievement….

• Lezza says:

10:19am | 29/07/11

I wouldn’t walk across the road to watch an AFL match if you paid me.
      Same for Rugby League, basketball, and baseball.
      However, I like a good tight one-day cricket match, although strangely, 20-20 impresses me as artificial and a danger to the long game.
      Press me about won the Melbourne Cup last year and I couldn’t tell you.
      But ask me if Kathy Freeman’s wonderful run at the Sydney Olympics is etched in my memory, and the answer is a resounding yes.
      I follow Mark Webber in F1 because I long for the day when we can get the World Crown for another Aussie as a reinforcement of the achievements of Jack Brabham and Alan Jones who overcame extraordinary difficulties to beat the Europeans at their own game.
      Couldn’t put a handle to any specific games, but I love it when the Wallabies thump the mighty All-Blacks.
      Do I qualify as a sports nut?
      Don’t think so.
      I qualify as a shrewd observer of human endeavour, and it just so happens that the moment a bloke called Cadel Evans had to dig deeper than he’d ever gone before, he was on a bike in the French Alps.
      His recovery from mechanical failure on the last great climb of the tour, when to all intents and purpose he was out the door backwards, was an enthralling and highly emotional spectacle.
      Did it make him as hero?
      No idea, but in my eyes the grinding haul back into range of the leaders was an heroic achievement.
      The guy – on several occasions – had to go into a mental and physical zone that the great bulk of us would dare not attempt to enter.
      As for the empty-head who lambasted him?
      Jeez, words almost fail me.
      Having worked in the Media, and played the same game, I perceive the comment as a contrived attention-grabber.
      Individuals practicing intellectual dishonesty always slip from view; decent and honest achievers, whatever their calling, live forever in the great pantheon chronicling heroic deeds.
      Cadel resoundingly deserves his place in the sun.

• Jason Todd says:

10:55am | 29/07/11

Centurion, I hear what you are saying, but that is filtered heavilt through your view. I could just as easily say that I know the outcome of the Tour de France. A bunch of blokes went for a bike ride. One arrived at his destination first, and there was much rejoicing. To my mind, the competitors are not distinct as the event holds no meaning for me
      Likewise, when people ask me how I can possibly find football or soccer boring. To me, it is like watching the same thing happen over and over. A bunch of blokes chase a little red (or black and white) ball. Eventually one team bests the other over the course of a few hours. I draw no enjoyment from it because I am not invested in it. I do however understand that some people are, and there is a certain prestige with being the fastest/best/highest scoring etc.

Watching a lecture or reading up on research, I don’t nessesarily know the outcome, and even if I do, it’s not the destination that interests me, it’s the journey. The art and interplay of how it all works together is where the excitement is. I get that some people get that from sports, and that is fine, I’m not saying that my way is right. What I am not fine with is being told ad nauseum that I am less Australian, less of a bloke, or less a member of society merely because I hold a different view.

• Loz says:

09:22am | 29/07/11

I love sport, I follow AFL with a passion, love the tennis and cycling, watch the Olympics - you name it.  I enjoyed Evans’ victory as much as the next sport fan.

But I cringe when I hear sportsmen referred to as ‘heroes’.  To me, a hero is not only someone to be admired, but someone to see as a role model.  Someone who has stepped way out of their comfort zone, taken a huge risk and had an incredibly massive positive impact on a person or people.

• Dazeddazza says:

11:45am | 29/07/11

Loz, I totally agree, I love sports and Evans winning was a great effort and an outstanding sporting achievement.  He earned it.  Hero?  No.  What I dislike is the jingoism such as “our Cadell, our “whatever”, which is thrown around too easily.  Lets be proud that our sporting champions have achieved their goals and made us proud as a nation.  But heroes???

• alex says:

11:45am | 29/07/11

“Someone who has stepped way out of their comfort zone, taken a huge risk and had an incredibly massive positive impact on a person or people”

If Cadel has not done this, then what has he done?  He has stepped out of his comfort zone for 10+ years to train for the race, year after year.  And his massive impact is showing people that you can achieve anything you want if you put your mind to it.

• Dave says:

12:04pm | 29/07/11

“To me, a hero is not only someone to be admired, but someone to see as a role model.  Someone who has stepped way out of their comfort zone, taken a huge risk and had an incredibly massive positive impact on a person or people.”

Look I agree with you - sports people aren’t heroes but are capable of and do achieve heroic acts and I think you are confusing the two here. Cadel Evans is someone to be admired and is a role model; he works tirelessly to promote anti doping in the sport of cycling and has a profound positive effect on people the world over.

I could continue but the point is I could fit many sportsmen and women into your definition of a hero.

• Dylan Malloch says:

09:25am | 29/07/11

Great article.  Well said.

• hot tub political machine says:

10:04am | 29/07/11

The flaw in your piece Lehmo (and btw I believe sport is the best kind of drama so I’m no hater) is that you’ve tried to argue we acknowledge actual heroes well enough, but I doubt many Australian’s would know much about the people you mentioned in this article. Heck the other day a young Australian I was speaking with hadn’t heard about Howard Florey (who knows how the conversation got there, we must have been talking about something other than sport) who is probably the single greatest Australian, how many people know who he is?

The other problem is the other heroes who don’t get acknowledged. While state governments spend hundreds of millions on sporting stadiums – they cut down on numbers and conditions for hospital staff. Can I suggest to you Lehmo, as someone who loves sport – that we haven’t remotely got our priorities straight.

Heck the average nurse/cop/teacher/soldier will achieve more good for humanity in one month of their career than the entire AFL list will achieve in their entire life. Yet who gets paid more? I don’t hate sports, but does it ever get more than its fair share of the sunshine.

• Tim says:

10:46am | 29/07/11

Do you think those people who you would call heroes do their work because they want recognition?
      I’ve found that the average nurse/cop/teacher/soldier do their jobs because they like it and they get paid to do it.
      Altruism is usually only a minor part and in some cases non existant.
      And what people get paid is simply a function of the market.

• hot tub political machine says:

11:38am | 29/07/11

I’m not concerned with individual career motivations, there isn’t the scope here to discuss individuals. I’m concerned with society’s bizarre priorities.

• Tim says:

12:11pm | 29/07/11

That’s the thing Hot Tub,
      I don’t think society’s priorities are bizarre at all.

• hot tub political machine says:

01:10pm | 29/07/11

Well we don’t all have to agree, but colour me intrigued Tim, I think a society that spends public money on sports entertainment has its priorities off. If you don’t I’d be interested to know your reasons.

• Bilby says:

03:15pm | 29/07/11

hot tub - If I may, I believe sport contributes to morale, which is much underestimated. If we feel like we’re part of something that achieves great things, we’re more likely to feel good about ourselves and that leads to greater productivity. I may be wrong of course, but I believe that is of great value to the country, and should be properly funded.

• Tim says:

03:28pm | 29/07/11

Hot Tub,
      I’m not saying it’s entirely rational but it’s definitely understandable.
      As Bilby says, sport allows the populace to be tribal and to feel a part of something bigger than their own lives. Opiate for the masses. I love my sport and there is no better feeling than being with other members of a crowd supporting your team to a win.
      You aren’t going to get that from a doctor saving a life or a police officer arresting someone. Not to mention that some sports venues can boost the economy hugely.

• hot tub political machine says:

03:38pm | 29/07/11

Heya Bilby, I get the “part of something bigger” thing, everyone likes to be part of something awesome – but it must be more than just that. There is a heck of a lot of morale raising things going on that get less sunshine than sports, Lehmo mentioned a few in the article. We give them less attention than sports though, I reckon sport must be given more attention just because of the entertainment factor. I guess the sad thing is, great stories of other inspiring activities don’t always get told because its expensive/difficult (you can do it, as amazing true story films demonstrate – buts it’s a big effort), where as sport tells itself in a way and is also immediate.

Plenty of good things happen outside of sport, things that raise morale. We don’t talk about them as much as sport though.

• hot tub political machine says:

04:43pm | 29/07/11

True, you never get the shared immediate joy with you do with sport. I still don’t get the public money though - its not like sports are crying poor. So why isn’t it self funded for stadia?

• Bilby says:

05:03pm | 29/07/11

hot tub - I don’t disagree at all really. I believe that sport should be funded, but I also think that scientific research, art, music and a variety of other activities should also be funded and lauded. I reckon it has a parallel in the way people are OK with not being as strong as someone else, but not OK about not being as smart. I think we believe that if we tried we could be as strong, but school has taught us that no matter how much we study, we’ll never be as smart as that other guy. Know what I mean?

• hot tub political machine says:

05:32pm | 29/07/11

Yeah we value intelligence highly in this society. A charge of being an idiot is a heck of a lot more offensive than a charge of being a ponce, are you suggesting maybe we don’t like to feel inferior to the clever chaps n chapette’s who win nobel prizes? Heroes of mine don’t need to be geniuses, usually a lot of self-sacrifice and persistence/courage will get you celebrated by the hot tub

• Chris L says:

07:03pm | 29/07/11

“You aren’t going to get that from a doctor saving a life” -

I dunno about that Tim. I imagine the friends and family of the person saved would share a euphoric moment even greater than seeing their team win.

• Dirk Hartog says:

08:26pm | 29/07/11

Howard who?

• Katie says:

11:03am | 29/07/11

When dosen’t sport have it’s moment in the sun? All I seem to hear about is sport, sport, sport…. can’t escape it on the weekends, can’t escape it in the workplace (Footy results, you see), can’t escape it on the radio.

Thing is, some of us really, really don’t care.

Good on Cadel, and I did watch the replay of his win and think it should be applauded. However, to claim that sports ‘never gets its moment in the sun’ is rediculous.

If anything, sports stars should be seen as great achievers, but definitely never role models. They’re (usually) not smart enough for that.

• Shane says:

01:12pm | 29/07/11

Nicely said Katie. I actually snorted when reading “let sport have a moment in the sun”. Most blokes in the wildly popular sports (AFL, NRL, Cricket, etc) would end up with skin cancer from their “moments in the sun”. This generally doesn’t bother me, although I can find it tedious at times.

Also tedious is the overraction from others about what this woman finds interesting. She doesn’t care. So what? Why were these sports fans so offended when she expressed her opinion? I love AFL but when other people say they hate it, I don’t take it personally. It’s a personal preference.

As for the hero debate, Cadel’s effort was brave and inspiring but ultimately, was done for himself. While this is not a criticism (more people to be as motivated/dedicated/etc as he is) I believe this the difference between a sports person and those that help others regardless of the consequences to themselves.

• Chris L says:

07:49pm | 29/07/11

Good point Katie. Every night on the news there’s as much time dedicated to sport as there is to real news. Apart from that the only other subject to get it’s own section in the news is the weather. No section on the days accomplishments for police (I feel better when perps are collected and/or rightfully convicted) or for how many people were saved by doctors/nurses or disasters averted by the smokies.

If anything, sport is in danger of getting heatstroke.

• Anubis says:

11:14am | 29/07/11

That’s right he is not a hero - he is a champion and should be acknowledged as that but the word hero should never be used to refer to a sportsman.

• Amanda says:

11:17am | 29/07/11

Excellent article Lehmo.

I took exception to what Mia said in the today show. She did not have to denigrate Cadel or his achievements just because she doesn’t like sportspeople being referred to as heroes. Defintions of heroes have been bandied about lately. Heroes can from any walk of life, from any field of endeavour.  Many people might say that their parents are their heroes.

I am so proud of Cadel, and he is a definitley a hero - a sporting hero. I would also say that Mark Donaldson and Ben Roberts-Smith are heroes, Fiona Wood, etc.

I would have to agree with Mia though when she said she can’t understand why sports people are made Australians of the Year. I have always wondered why as well. But then, I don’t go on tv sharing this view at a time when we are celebrating a fabulous sporting achievements.

The thing that got to so many people were her totally unnecessary comments about Cadel. She crossed the line. She doesn’t have to agree with being a hero, but to be so insulting? Seriously Mia. Hoping your website isn’t full of opinions and comments like that.

• Adrian says:

11:17am | 29/07/11

Sport is more important than politics because people actually care about it.

• Traxster says:

12:11pm | 29/07/11

Onya Lehmo
      Credit where credit is due
      And a great big ONYA to Cadel Evans as well.

• Rick(with a silent P) says:

03:53pm | 29/07/11

Oh No I suppose we are to see more wankers riding the steets in their PJ’s now.

• chrisp says:

06:14pm | 29/07/11

Just like we have to endure sad wannabes hooning around in their rice-rockets and boganmobiles after V8 Supercar races. Best just suck it down, little man.

• New York hobo 1998 says:

04:54pm | 29/07/11

Hey Lehmo….You funny guy.

• Sceptic says:

12:39am | 01/08/11

It’s still only sport.

• David says:

08:44am | 01/08/11

the issue isn’t whetther or not he should be congratulated for his achievement. It’s the degree to which we do this for sport in this country. For the most part these sportsmen/women play these sports for their own enjoyment and large amounts of money and if cadel hadn’t won the guy behind him would have (andi am sure he to trained hard and faced obstacles).
      Sports just seem to take on cult status in this country (and the more we worship it the less we seem to actually play it) compared to other fields of endeavor how well know are real heroes like Mark Donaldson (victoria cross 2 years ago) or the japanese engineers who went into fukushima power plant to controll it knowing that they are going to get die early for their actions, or worth citizens in other fields shown the same adulation.

face sport doesn’t just get a moment in the sun in Australia but gets permanent exposure.

• David says:

08:46am | 01/08/11

no one suggests having public holidays for these other achievements

• Shawn says:

06:41pm | 10/05/12

It reminds me of the times I made the team after countless hours of pitching drills, and all my friends had to say was that I definitely have to try harder from then on to stay on the team, what bummers!