Here comes the bride, Zimmer frame and all
Two minute nuptials and a slap up lunch at the International House of Pancakes. She fixed his hearing aid and he called her “Mama”.
It wouldn’t make the pages of Belle bridal magazine, but efficiency not glamour, was the order of the day for the world’s oldest married couple.
After 18 years together, 95 year-old Lillian Hartley and 98 year-old Allan Marks, tied the knot at Riverside county office in Palm Springs, California.
It also earned them the Guinness Book of Records title for oldest combined age of a couple on their wedding day. The Marks have lived a total of 193 years, eight months and three days between them.
For the un-romantic among us, their union proves that you’re never too old for love. As Lillian told their local paper The Desert Sun: “I’m not deeply religious, but I just think it was meant to be. I didn’t want a relationship — I enjoyed my freedom — but he got me.”
Makes you think, doesn’t it. The Marks are onto something. Marriage in your twilight years does offer a number of benefits.
Here are six:
1. The match is bound to be a good one. By 90, you’re bound to know yourself pretty well, so it’s unlikely you’d put down roots with the wrong person.
2. You can focus on your relationship 100 per cent. There are no pressures of work, raising children or paying off a mortgage.
3. Less pressure to perform. Let’s put it this way, nobody’s expecting a Don Juan at 90 plus. So your interactions are likely to be more relaxed.
4. Companionship. Finding love in your later years ensures you’ll always have some around to care for you. It gives a whole new meaning to the honeymoon period.
5. You can invite whoever you want to your wedding ceremony. Forget wedding stress, when you’re above 70 years of age, your wedding day is unconditionally yours. There are no parents to please or any need whatsoever to plan ahead. Grab your outfit, find a registry office and do the deed.
6. No nagging. Who can hear anything at that age anyway?
Read all about it
Up to the minute Twitter chatter
The latest and greatest
Good morning Punchers. After four years of excellent fun and great conversation, this is the final post…
I have had some close calls, one that involved what looked to me like an AK47 pointed my way, followed…
In a world in which there are still people who subscribe to the vile notion that certain victims of sexual…