Just a hunch, but if a mate ever asks you to snap a pic of them with their favourite high-powered weapon, you might want to reassess your friendship - and possibly call the police.

What do you think gave it away?... Daniel Cowart

As give aways go, snaps such as this one of Daniel Cowart, who’s just pleaded guilty to plotting to kill Barack Obama, are a bit of a no brainer.

Just in case no-one was alarmed by the enormous great gun he’s holding, Cowart helpfully had a Swastika tattooed on his upper arm and shaved his head.

You’ve got to wonder if whoever snapped this pic of serial killer Ivan Milat in his little cowboy getup ever thought to themselves, hmmmm, not sure about this guy.

Nothing suss going on here… Ivan Milat

David Hicks was amongst like-minded souls when this picture was taken of him during his gap year in Kosovo, so the photographer here was probably unabashed by the huge shoulder mounted number he was sporting.

All the boys are carrying them ... David Hicks

I’m not sure why Finish student Matti Saari even thought the gun was necessary in this picture, given the T-shirt he’s wearing pretty much summed up his outlook on life.

What, this old thing? ... Matti Saari

And Seung-Hui Cho didn’t leave much doubt about his frame of mind when he posed for this before embarking on the Virginia Tech massacre.

This is not my best side ... Cho-Seung-Hui

• Keith Hammersmith says:

12:22pm | 30/03/10

what kind of tough guy Nazi wears lipstick and blush? (see top picture of Daniel Cowart)

• Adam says:

12:35pm | 30/03/10

the kind of tough guy who is secure in his sexuallity

• Brizz says:

01:12pm | 30/03/10

The girls in my office were wondering if, while he’s in questioning, someone could ask him what lippy he’s wearing, it’s delightful.

At least Neo-Nazis are keeping up with trends, the blonde-hair blue eyed look is so last century.

• Julia says:

01:54pm | 30/03/10

I’m pretty sure he’s got some eye makeup on too.

• Paul says:

02:37pm | 30/03/10

Then of course if this is one of those staged “agent provocateur” moments the Yanks are so good at (Kennedy, 911), then the makeup could be part of the photoshoot, if a bit miscalculated.  It took me a second and third look to decide he wasn’t a she.

Sometimes this sort of thing is done to intentionally provoke the kind of gut-reactions I’m reading here.  Its called a “psy-op” and it all about framing opinions in advance.  If something happens to Obama everyon will automatically assume “white lone gun nut” because the meme has already been sown, and such will be the way the evidence will be made to point.

• Seano says:

03:33pm | 30/03/10

He looks like the Boy George of the white supremacist move moment.

• BTS says:

12:27pm | 30/03/10

What kind of guy recognises he is wearing lipstick and blush?

What’s blush???

(for the record, I don’t think he is, that’s his natural facial colour and the reflection of light)

• Julie Coker-Godson says:

12:46pm | 30/03/10

Hello BTS:  Blush is what a woman puts on the high cheekbones of her face to make her look ...well…blushed. LOL.  BTW I think he is not only wearing lipstick but also eyeshadow and maybe some eyebrow pencil.  Whatever, if ever, it all looks decidedly odd and given his intentions I guess not so surprising.  What a dangerous piece of work.  I am so grateful to be living in Australia where we are not allowed to carry arms the way the Americans do.

• BTS says:

01:33pm | 30/03/10

Hello Julie,

Thanks for your explanation.  I thought the eye issue might be due to the glasses he appears to be wearing.  I will leave the make up stuff to those with requisite experience.

• Kim says:

03:18pm | 30/03/10

@ Julie Coker-Godson - I agree with BTS, I don’t think he is actually wearing makeup.  If you look at the colour of his knuckles and the tips of his ears, they are the same colour of his cheeks - so I don’t think there’s any blush.  As for the eye makeup - he could be wearing some, but again this could just be the glasses he’s wearing and the lighting.  As for the lippy?  Looks like he’s wearing it, but would he really know how to apply it so well?

• Alyssa KT says:

10:44am | 31/03/10

You are all joking, aren’t you?
      Many lips are pink. His embarrassingly so. That’s all.

It was probably all the guys telling him what pink lips he has that made him so angry!

• BTS says:

12:37pm | 30/03/10

So if these people are involved in say re-creation/period weekends and pose for a photograph, does that indicate a propensity to commit violent crime?

So someone who dresses up as a Knight (on some weekends), will later go on to commit a mass murder?  Given it will be at a much slower pace…

• Zeta says:

02:01pm | 30/03/10

I dress up as a Roman Principe sometimes and just stomp around my apartment bemoaning the Marian Reforms and thrusting my gladius at the walls. One of these days I’m gonna end up stalking the corridors of my workplace, throwing javelins at my co-workers after I snap.

• BTS says:

02:19pm | 30/03/10

Zeta,

Perhaps you could leave the appropriate photographs with someone responsible, for ease of distribution after you go ‘postal’.

• Whatever doesn't kill me - better start running! says:

03:14pm | 30/03/10

I’ve plenty of photos with myself posing with a gun and some of them even pointed at the camera.  Unfortunately (or fortunately for some) my gun is made out of foam and only shoots foam bullets.

• The Watcher says:

12:32pm | 30/03/10

Its just sad. They should quit claiming the Right and realise that their idol Adolf was a left wing loon.

• Evan Findlay says:

12:58pm | 30/03/10

The Watcher, these clowns are right wing. See what conservatism does to you! If you get a chance have a look at the eight photo’s of the Hutaree christian militants that were arrested in America. If that’s not a fair representation of the Liberal party supporter base then I don’t know what is!!

• Chris says:

01:53pm | 30/03/10

Hardly an indication of the Liberal Party base, Evan, given the Hutaree are anti-government in general…

Also, The Watcher is correct, in a sense. Adolf started the National *Socialist* Party and, economically, it was left wing (nationalisation of the economy, etc)

• Evan Findlay says:

02:14pm | 30/03/10

Lighten up Chris, aren’t we allowed to have a sense of humour. It was just a bit of fun. It wont kill you to have a laugh, and anyway the Hutaree’s look to intelligent to be Liberal party supporters.

P.s. That too was a joke Chris, just thought I would let you know.

• Steely Dan says:

02:29pm | 30/03/10

Hitler was economically left-wing, very true.

However, I don’t think it was his economics that were the issue, The Watcher… this guy was ultra-right socially.

• Matt Stewart says:

04:43pm | 30/03/10

Ohh, I see, a social right winger is defined as someone who wants to kill ethnic groups.  That’s just stupid.  Completely and utterly stupid.  There was nothing ‘right wing’ about the nazis.  Revisionists have just labelled them as right wing because they betrayed left wing poster-boy Stalin - a man who also killed lots of people but never got labelled a right winger for it.  Hitler was economically left wing.  Socially, he was a man who illogically believed that the aryans were racially superior.

• Ellie says:

04:57pm | 30/03/10

“Ohh, I see, a social right winger is defined as someone who wants to kill ethnic groups.”
      errr actually yeah, that’s just it. Except we’re talking about FAR right groups. Facism. They place each person on a different social scale and some people are better than others. i.e racism.

• Matt stewart says:

05:51pm | 30/03/10

So they aren’t defined as murdering racists, they are just deifned as racists.  Yeh, that totally makes sense now.  I’m pretty sure you meant Eg racism.

Either way, I think terms developed for the french revolution are pretty useless for describing the gamut of modern political thought.

• T.Chong says:

12:46pm | 30/03/10

Toni, head to Youtube, plenty of people, boys AND girls are quite willing to pose with weapons.

• Susan says:

03:08pm | 30/03/10

Very true. In fact it’s pretty eye opening to see some of them and the age of the kids.

• Margaret Gray says:

12:46pm | 30/03/10

“...shaved his head…”

I’m not sure you can use this as a reliable belwether?

The preponderance of virulent follicly-challenged males to remove all traces of a presumably once glorious plummage would see them default automatically into your certified psychotic category and that’s unfair.

Sad, maybe, but definitely not psychotic.

• 6c legs says:

12:49pm | 30/03/10

Gee, i seem to remember a then sitting federal pollie while on a trip to Iraq posing for a happy snap, mit shooter in hand…

just saying

• Joe says:

01:02pm | 30/03/10

Here we go with another push to disarm the people by using sterotypical images to frighten.
      However, there is another viewpoint and many of you will be surprised to discover some unexpected supporters for gun ownership. I will let them speak and you can form your own opinion.

• mid says:

01:35pm | 30/03/10

Don’t think it really has anything to do with gun control, perhaps you’re a little oversensitive on the topic. The impression I get is if you are willing to have your photo taken in some bull$hit macho pose with a gun then there might be something wrong with you.
      Nice quotes on the linked to page there, but I think it’s a bit of a stretch to link some of them to gun control - didn’t realise Plato was in the NRA wink

• Simon the pieman says:

01:18pm | 30/03/10

My vote goes for Milat’s “I was the sixth village person” picture taken in his grannies lounge.  What a tos$er.

• Scott Glennon says:

01:20pm | 30/03/10

They shouldn’t have guns. Couldn’t careless about America’s rights to arms.

• Julie Coker-Godson says:

02:59pm | 30/03/10

Hello Scott:  Totally agree with you.  Those rights to arms were put in the constitution during a period long, long before today.  During a time when having guns would have been seen as a necessity. Not today though.  Unfortunately the horse has well and truly bolted and there is no way they are going to give up their “rights to arms”.

• Zeta says:

03:38pm | 30/03/10

It’s not a right to arms. There is no assumed human right of gun ownership in the United States, of the three prevailing interpreations of the second and ninth amendments, none of them assume everyone should get a gun.

It’s the right to bear arms. And the actual wording is “...Inasmuch as and so long as a well regulated Militia shall be necessary to the security of a free state and so long as privately held arms shall be essential to the maintenance thereof, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.”

Now that reading taken on its own makes it pretty clear that the collectivist, or insurrectionist theory of the second amendment is probably the case. That is, the drafters believed the right to bear arms would not be infringed to protect the maintence of a militia for the purposes of defence, remembering that at the time they had no standing army, and would rely on every man aged 14 to 45 to fight for them.

The insurrectionist reading says the drafters inserted the amendment as an anti-dictatorial insurance clause, a protection in case their fledgling demoracy was ever threatened internally.

The most recent jurisprudence, that is a majority decision from the US Supreme Court, ruled that taken in conjunction with the Ninth Amendment: ‘The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people’ means the right to bear arms is a pre-existing, individual right.

Nothing has changed. A well regulated militia remains necessary to secure freedom, and the Americans were right - privately held arms were neccessary as well. Japanese generals were quoted as saying before Pearl Harbour that a land invasion of America was impossible because ‘they would face a gun around corner’.

And as for the ‘not today’ arguement… would anyone have had a problem if the Americans revolted against Bush…?

• Scott Glennon says:

04:29pm | 30/03/10

@Zeta,

You should really shave your arms. =P

• Jackie Brown says:

01:40pm | 30/03/10

I seem to remember seeing many shots of US soldiers in Iraq etc posing in similar fashions to above photos. Does anyone question their motives for engaging themselves in such occupations? They claim to be there to defend their country - you know, the place they know little about apart from their own small town which they have never left or what they’ve seen on Jerry..Why doesn’t the govt recruit them into the armed forces as their mindsets are very similar. One group is branded criminally insane and the other heroes - Go figure!!

• BTS says:

02:28pm | 30/03/10

More often than you think, Jackie, they are recruited into the armed forces.

• jamie says:

03:07pm | 30/03/10

Loonies like these guys get weeded out very early on, and if somehow they do manage to get in the basic training usually finds them out.

Soldiers are professionals, not no hope losers with god complexes so please don’t smear their their names by comparing them to psychotic and socially inept and deficient killers.

Go along to ANZAC day and tell me how many psychotic killers you see.

• Andrew Goff says:

04:07pm | 30/03/10

Jamie, I think you confuse Australian Soldiers and American Soldiers.

Check out the difference in training the two get.

While I deplore war, the Australian Military has some of the best soldiers and leaders in the world. The American Military, on the other hand, does not. The two key reasons for this is that the Military leadership is politicised in the US, and there is a presumption that since you can shoot a gun you can be a soldier.

Just look at Australia! As soon as you get politics involved in the military you get Collins Class sinking bathtubs (oops I mean submarines).

• Jamie says:

04:51pm | 30/03/10

Andrew,

I don’t know if you served, or in what capacity, but the marines I served next to on K89 were every bit as professional as Australian soldiers. I’m not saying that they are as highly trained as Australians, but they also aren’t loonies in uniform with rifles.

I’ve got photos of myself with a variety of weapons. And, horror of horrors, posing with them! It seems to me that Jackie Brown is using the issue to simply have an anti American rant rather than actually adding anything of value to the discussion.

• Zeta says:

01:37pm | 30/03/10

Tors, that’s not a giant gun.

I don’t know if the scale of that photo is out or something, but that is one exceptionally small human. From memory, I think that’s a Heckler & Koch G3, or maybe even the G3SG designated marksman variant. That weapon’s length, even with the standard stock is just over a 1000mm, or as we say down at militia headquarters, ten hundred mike mikes. Now you scale that against the size of his trunk and you’re looking at a really short dude. No wonder he feels the need to pose with his weapons.

Also, I’m generally only afraid of bros who remember to load their weapon. He’s not rocking a magazine in there. Guns don’t kill people. Bullets do.

If that guy were going to kill the President, he should invest in a weapon designed for his body type. If he wants to stick with G3’s 7.62mm penetration, he should go for the humble AK 47 or anyone of the cheaply made Czech and Chinese variants. Coming in just under 800mm, it’s the perfect weapon for child soliders and man children. If he doesn’t like its authentic wood panel styling, he could even go for the Israeli made Galil, but something about his ink tells me he wouldn’t dig no Jew rifle.

Why not an American made Springfield Armoury M14? Whilst longer, composite ceramic receivers are making them lighter all the time, and the addition of several pictinny mounting rails for your scope, laser designator, flashlight and cup holders means you’re not just tactical, you’re tacti-cool.

That’s why David Hicks is a bro. Those other man ladies are packing plastic pansy guns, and forget Ivan Milat with his nickel plated sissy pistols. When Hicks goes to war, he brings the trusty Russian made RPG7. Because nothing says ‘welcome to Kosovo mother f***er’ like one of those bad boys streaking toward your Hind.

• Tory Maguire

Tory Maguire says:

02:03pm | 30/03/10

You scare me sometimes Zeta…

• Mark says:

02:09pm | 30/03/10

Zeta makes me feel good.

Terrified but good.

• Evan Findlay says:

02:23pm | 30/03/10

Jesus Zeta why would you want to know all that shit!!!

• Susan says:

02:21pm | 30/03/10

Thanks for the lesson on weapons and the related lingo.  I’m not “rocking a magazine” either today and I feel pretty good about that.

• Zeta says:

02:29pm | 30/03/10

Is it really so scary for a man to have a school boyish fascination with high powered firearms?

• BTS says:

02:33pm | 30/03/10

Evan,

Because you should always be prepared…alert, not alarmed!

• J says:

02:35pm | 30/03/10

Guns don’t kill people.

Unless you pistol whip someone really hard…

• Mr Pastry says:

02:40pm | 30/03/10

Nice work Zeta but the gun he parades was the only one on special at Big W.

• AliceC says:

02:53pm | 30/03/10

@Zeta ‘Guns don’t kill people. Bullets do.’

‘But I think the gun helps….’ (thanks Eddie Izzard)

• Zeta says:

02:47pm | 30/03/10

@ Evan Findlay - Because one day we’ll be invaded by the Soviets, and when we flee to the hills to start a scrappy resistance movement with the rest of the Wolverines, you’ll need someone who knows the difference between a clip and a magazine, his lower receivers from his upper receivers etc.

• Louise says:

03:05pm | 30/03/10

You wish you were Jack Reacher don’t you?

• Mr Subramanian says:

03:15pm | 30/03/10

“I for one elcome our new insect overlords!”

And you studied English at uni, Zeta? smile

Although this is something my brother could probably do too, although his experience has been developed through experiences like Splinter Cell and Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Strike or thingies like that… raspberry

• Greek Snake says:

04:01pm | 30/03/10

Hahaha one of the funniest posts ever.

Either a serious obsession with firearms or far too much time playing shooters. I know a few counter-strike addicts from the days of old who could converse in gun-speak with you.

Gold post btw.

• Julia says:

04:12pm | 30/03/10

You’re not one of those people who buried their guns in the backyard in PVC pipe, are you?

• Matt Stewart says:

04:29pm | 30/03/10

A Red Dawn reference, you just made my day.

But I think what you are really saying is, this is just a big case of ‘small man syndrome’

• Evan Findlay says:

06:14pm | 30/03/10

Well Zeta I would be happy to have you on my side. By the way do you know any wolverines or will we just meet them in the hills?

• A Bob says:

07:40pm | 30/03/10

I think it’s a replica. Not a very good one, half way between a G3 and a HK33. The report says they were going to steal a high powered rifle for their killing spree. No need to do that if he already had the real thing.

And really, a sniper rifle? They were going to drive as fast as they could towards Obama and try to shoot him. Wrong choice of weapon.He’d be covered by body guards before they got close. Sounds more like the fantasy of a couple of losers than a real threat.

• Susan says:

01:48pm | 30/03/10

The Americans I know see this, feel saddened, but then defend their right to arms.  I also don’t support their plea bargaining system as such. Ten years for conspiring to kill so many innocent children?  Sad teens - when all is said and done - filled with bigotry, hate and moral ‘right’. The lippy and the eye shadow are rather at odds? Or, perhaps not.

• julia says:

04:09pm | 30/03/10

My definition to ‘the right to bear arms’ is that a female with batwings and armpit hair should be allowed to wear a sunfrock.

But I know a lot of women called Shirley around Nambour.

• Mr Pastry says:

05:21pm | 30/03/10

Julie - “batwings and armpit hair” very funny thanks for the tip off,  I was going to visit Nambour

• Ben81 says:

01:54pm | 30/03/10

Ah yes, David Hicks, the national hero of the Australian left.  I remember many people getting their knickers in a knot over the non-censorship of that photo of the poor misguided soul!

• Dan says:

03:44am | 31/03/10

Hicks wasn’t a national hero of the Australian Left. We just cared about his being denied the right to a fair trial and the rule of law., unlike the Right which couldn’t care less about the rule of law.

• CJ says:

01:55pm | 30/03/10

He-he-he-he, ohhhhh, that’s funny. A jokesy blog featuring pictures of a serial killer and mass murderers? Gold. Very amusing stuff.

• Blossom says:

02:02pm | 30/03/10

I go to a gaming website that has chat, frequently Americans tell me how badly we are done by because we don’t all carry guns. They can’t seem to understand that we don’t want them. I feel sorry that they feel so threatened they can’t get by in life without packing a pistol. Those pictures are really very unpleasant to look at, sure not my idea of an attractive man about town

• Zeta says:

02:09pm | 30/03/10

Speak for yourself.

When the Zombie Apocalypse eventually comes (and it will) enjoy trying to sever the brain stem of the shambolic hordes with your whipper snipper while I’m making my way across the blasted, foresaken wasteland of the post Apocalyptic outback with my trusty .44 at my side.

• Kate says:

03:06pm | 30/03/10

Zeta - ever seen ‘Zombieland’? Sure, the nerdy guy got rid of zombies using a gun but Woody Harrelson could eliminate them using only a baseball bat. And I don’t remember Cillian Murphy using a gun in 28 Days Later. Us Aussies will just have to be creative when the zombie apocalypse arrives.

• iansand says:

04:53pm | 30/03/10

It’s always fun to ask Americans online whether the fact that they have homicide rates 10 times higher than any other first world country is because of the right to bear arms or because they are all homicidal maniacs.  Their heads explode.

• Mark says:

11:41am | 31/03/10

I’m with you Zeta.

You need to sure when dealing with zombie apocalypse’s.

Although I do believe Sean showed me how effective a good Gray Nicolls can be. And they need no ammo.

Brb stoccking up the survival food. Goddam zombies….

• Razor says:

02:37pm | 30/03/10

Who’s “we” Blossom?

• Tommy Gun says:

03:08pm | 30/03/10

Zeta!!                                                                                Generaly your blogs are not too bad,but today you tend to worry the s…t out of me..Lighten up a little please..

• Mark says:

11:50am | 31/03/10

Do not underestimate the power of the zombie masses.

Poor blind fool - you must prepare for the undead scourge invasion. Zeta is giving out great survival advice. i for one wish for more useful tips on survival skills.

• Julie Coker-Godson says:

03:20pm | 30/03/10

@Zeta:  I think you have well and truly lost the plot!  or are you deliberately being provocative/outrageous with your comments:  trolling perhaps?

• Jason says:

04:59pm | 30/03/10

Where are the pictures of George W. Bush? Isn’t he the biggest mass murderer the world has seen in 30 years?  I’m sure you could find a shot of him posing next the the F4 Phantom…a far more effective and ruthless killing machine than any of the above toys.

• Julian Thomas says:

05:33pm | 30/03/10

Matt stewart, pull your head, you know there is no history of anarchy becoming a republic with true freedoms, even with the USA the colonists traded other people lands $$$ with spain (1818), french (1802)and russians (1867), even then only white , male, landowners got the vote, hardly a true republic. In any case the USA never had a true anarchy state, where are your european examples of anarchy being on edge of political spectrum, anarchy by definition has been between left and right, Russia, Germany, england to some extent,Netherlands,Spain, Chile, Argentina etc, so any one who sees left and right as on same side, does not know history!!! and is therefore delusional

• matt stewart says:

02:11pm | 31/03/10

I’m pretty sure none of that has anything to do with what I have said here, but you obviously needed to get that off your chest, so I hope you feel better.

Left and right are poor terms for describing modern political positions, because some people apply them to an economic spectrum and others apply them to a social spectrum.  Some people see libertarians as right wing, others see them as left wing.  Some see the left as being about ‘negative freedoms’ and others see it as being about ‘positive freedoms’, with the bulk moving from the former to the latter throughout history.  The terms were developed during the French revolution, with the right being the conservatives who wanted to maintain the existing social order (which was monarchic, not racist) and the left being the reformists.  The terms are pretty useless except as epithets.

• Samantha says:

02:23pm | 31/03/10

Pull your head?

• matt stewart says:

03:06pm | 31/03/10

I took it as “pull your head in”, but I really can’t explain the rest of it.

• Shane From Melbourne says:

08:40pm | 30/03/10

Everything about that photo is so dumb from poor opsec to poor propaganda value, to poor weapons training (finger around the trigger). No wonder the feds roll up these trash right wing cells so easily. They are so dumb they deserve everything that they get.

• Vicki PS says:

12:50am | 31/03/10

C’mon Zeta, out with it: have you been getting mellow and channeling Ishmael Reed?

• Wheat says:

06:10am | 31/03/10

Trevor Flugge?

• acotrel says:

09:28am | 31/03/10

It amuses me the desperate way right wingers try to deny that Adolph was one of theirs!  What was the Battle of Stalingrad all about?  I believe you are correct in your assertion that there are indicators which could aid in ealy detection of potential killers.  The loonies who go around spouting redneck ideology are very suspect!

• matt stewart says:

03:03pm | 31/03/10

The Battle of Stalingrad.  What was it about?

1. It was (is) a major industrial city, which could support the war effort
      2. It was (is) on the Volga, a key transport route
      3. Capturing it would secure the german flank
      4. Bearing the name of Stalin, it was considered important for propoganda reasons.

In other words, it was strategically important in the fight between Russia and Germany.  If you are suggesting that they were fighting because Russia was left wing and Germany was right wing, then I guess Germany was left wing on June 21st 1941 and suddenly became right wing on June 22nd 1941 when Barbarossa began.  I guess that makes the UK and the tory leaders of the time middle wing or something.

Calling Hitler or any other historical leader ‘left’ or ‘right’ usually tells us absolutely nothing about who they were or what they stood for.  Can you mount an argument that Hitler was socially right wing?  Sure.  I can mount an argument that he was economically left wing.  Which argument should take precedence, the social or the economic one?  Maybe the answer is just to stop being so reductionist about politics.

• The Greek says:

05:30pm | 31/03/10

Where is Zena warrior woman?