In the shopping future of my dreams I’d have a fancy little application that sent an instant message from my empty pantry and refrigerator to the fully stocked shelves of my local grocery store.

It would calculate the products I needed before delivering it straight to my door at a convenient time. Ideally this would happen via some kind of accessible hole in the back of the house, so I wouldn’t even have to be at home to receive it.

That’s because convenience is at the top of my list when it comes to grocery shopping. Price definitely comes a close second but if I can’t get the product I want when I want it, then even the cheapest shop is not going to help me.

And that’s the biggest problem with the roll out of this My5 rewards program that Coles has been spruiking. Ditto the copycat version from Woolworths Everyday Rewards program.

If you haven’t heard about or seen these yet, they’re basically an extension of the supermarket’s loyalty programs. Coles and Woolworths are offering a fixed discount on a range of household products for customers who register with the program.

And there’s the first catch. Signing up for each program requires becoming a member of the existing Coles Fly Buys program and the Woolworths Everyday Rewards card.  These memberships require the customer to share information about themselves and their household, like your age, gender and address.

It’s marketing gold for the supermarkets which allows them to track your purchases and average spend. Worse, you pretty much have to buy everything on the shelf to get a plane ticket to Melbourne.

Things get more insidious under the rejigged loyalty program. Coles shoppers select five particular products from five different catgeories to receive 10 per cent off each product. But in order to be eligible, you must spend at least $50 in each transaction.

Now that’s pretty easy if you’re talking about a weekly grocery bill, which would easily exceed the $50 mark. But say one of your chosen products was an everyday item like pet food, milk, bread or nappies. In order to make the most of your discount, you’re also probably spending more each time you walk into the supermarket just to get it.

Woolworths customers are offered 20 per cent off a range of products, without a minimum spend, but according to feedback on their Everyday Rewards blog, the discounted products vary from store to store and region and region.

Bottom line: the price might be right but neither store will guarantee the product will be on the shelves on the day that you want it. And in the case of Coles you’re probably buying a bunch of stuff you don’t want to get a dollar off the stuff you do.

Not such a great deal for the customer, is it.

Supermarkets have a lucky advantage. We all need food and we all need to buy it regularly. In a perfect world this would encourage big chains with big advertising budgets to really engage with their customers real needs. And low prices on popular products are not the only way to do this.

Instead of Fly Buys points that get us nowhere fast, how about some real programs with real benefits for the customer. Like free home delivery, complimentary packing and people to carry stuff to your car and childcare services.

Follow me on Twitter: @lucyjk

• KH says:

07:17am | 22/05/12

In my local woolies, they don’t seem to be able to restock shelves with the things that were sold out - instead, they put something else there, or just don’t get that thing for months, then all of a sudden it reappears.  How hard is it to track stock - particularly of something that is obviously popular?  Some saturdays I end up going to a shopping area where a Coles and a Woolies back onto each other (and have done so for years - I can’t believe they are both still in business!) - so I can go to both of them and only park once.  I usually end up having to go to the IGA as well - just to get the things I want - lucky I live inner city and all three are on the same route.  Then there is the mysterious disappearance of brands - often in both Coles and Woolies at the same time - and then they claim they aren’t colluding.  And now that I am ranting about supermarkets (yeah, I went shopping last night - can you tell?!) I’m sick of them moving the store around overnight so that where something was last week now has some other product that I don’t want in that space, and I end up wandering around looking for what I wanted….........I don’t give a rats about their loyalty programs - they don’t deserve any loyalty when they treat their customers with such contempt.

• TJ says:

08:47am | 22/05/12

RE: restocking shelves

I hear you. The worst is baby formula. Every time I go shopping I have to buy 5 tins of the stuff because my brand will be missing from the shelves for the next 3 weeks.

It’s not like grabbing a different brand of cheese when my favourite has run out. A young baby needs the right brand in the right age group. I usually have the same problem with nappies also.

• Peter says:

09:41am | 22/05/12

What marketing genius decided a morbidly obese blob should front their campaign?
      What is Coles trying to say about the health benefits of their products?
      And another thing - it’s a Pommie obese blob. I’m pretty sure we have our own homegrown obese blobs. What about Magda Z. She’s funny and fat and happy (well when the red light is on). John Symonds from Aussie Home loans - he’s enormous. Kim Beazley is really fat. What about that actress who looks like the little fat guy from Little Britain - Rebel something or other?
      This seems ot be following the trend of allthose talent shows on the box - the idiots in charge think we’ll watch if it’s fronted by some hasbeen imported from Pommie Land. Seriously - how many of them are on the telly? Betcha the BBC is a yobbo-free zone now that Clive James has cancer.
      I am FlyBuys free. nd yes - I am fattist.

• Meh says:

11:04am | 22/05/12

Dude, say what you want about Coles or fat people, but not Dawn French. She’s gorgeous and bl**dy funny.

I hate going to any supermarket besides my usuals where I know exactly where the products I want are. If I go to other supermarkets and can’t find what I want quickly I have been know to simply abandon my trolley and walk out.

• Jester says:

11:41am | 22/05/12

@Meh

Should have gone to specsavers.

• Alicia says:

01:28pm | 22/05/12

You’re obviously not going to a very good store if things are “moving around overnight”. When I worked for Woolies (and I fully admit that things MIGHT be different now), it was quite rare for the shelving plans to change all the time. I’ve been going to Woolies for a long time now and have never had constant issues with things moving to another location.

I do agree that the lack of restocking is a pain and it usually comes down to management not controlling their stock levels properly.

• Murray says:

02:58pm | 22/05/12

@ Peter, your comments re: the English are spot on - but regretfully our whole country has a huge inferiority complex when it comes to the English, consider:
      * Our flag still has the Union Jack - there are 54 countries in the Commonwealth yet only Australia, New Zealand, the Colonel Banana-rama dictatorship of Fiji, Tuvalu and the UK show the Union Jack - we are obviously too immature to have our own flag. And as our flag wasn’t given Royal Assent until 1954 our forefathers certainly did not fight under it in WW1 or WW2. Interestingly, the Commonwealth flag doesn’t show the Union Jack - it is a gold globe surrounded by 61 spears on a blue background.
      * TV shows, why oh why do we need to import the hosts of English shows to front the Australian version (Phil Down Under, Selling Houses Australia etc). Are our TV hosts really that bad?
      * Cricket commentators - why Mark Nicholas? - I’m unconvinced he is any better than local talent.
      * Soccer commentators - Simon Hill - a suburban hack in England is treated like he may know something about the game - jury’s out on that !! And last 3 games Australia v England 2 draws and a win to Oz - so what can those pommy gits tell us about playing football ?
      * Business leaders - Coles is run by English checkout blokes who apparently know so much more than Ausises about our own market, ANZ employed Mike Smith, while Choice imported Nick Stace - aren’t Aussies good enough to run our larger corporations?

So you shouldn’t be surprised when they import the lady who did the same ads in England - coz after all we always do whatever the English want.

It’s nice to be proud of our British heritage, but it is pathetic to be subservient to it,

• Grant says:

04:59pm | 22/05/12

I live in Adelaide where we’re lucky enough to have the Foodland chain.  Most stores are smaller than Coles and Woolworths but they rarely play ‘find the product’ with their customers.

• OMG says:

07:34am | 22/05/12

I don’t need a fake discount or a useless fly-buy, I just want them to stop replacing the products I want with their own generic brand.  Supermarket aisiles are turning into an exercise in single-brand banality and consumer exploitation.

• KH says:

07:58am | 22/05/12

yeah, I forgot to mention this annoyance as well…..........as if their home brand product replaces every other brand of it - if it was exactly the same item, there wouldn’t have been brands in the first place…..........

• Bernadette says:

08:56am | 22/05/12

Greensa’s Tuna! Used to be cheaper than John West but bettr quality than home brands now suddenly I can’t get big cans of Greensea’s tuna and the space they were in is full of Woolies select brand, this is only the latest one, but it is this pattern of removing brands what has driven me to the much smaller IGA I used to shop at Woolies or Coles every week now I go to IGA on more of a weekly basis and Woolies every 6 or so weeks.

• Gherkin says:

07:52am | 22/05/12

“In summary supermarkets might actually look at real ways to reward us instead of bogus programs that reward their bottom line.”

Ummm… why?

Wouldn’t it make just as much sense for the people who own and operate supermarkets to say, “in summary, consumers might actually look at real ways to make us more profitable instead of expecting discounts and services that only reward their own hip pockets.”

It sounds like you’re treating supermarkets as if they are a part of the government. They don’t owe customers anything. They offer to sell stuff. You buy it if you want.

Consumers need to get a grip on how much things actually cost to produce and deliver. You get a real sense of that when you shop at independent supermarkets, where things are always much more expensive than at Coles and Woolies.

If it’s cheap groceries you want, then you’re going to have to sacrifice something. Coles and Woolies ask for your private info so they can market the crap out of you. Aldi and the like skimp on quality, range and presentation.

Bottom line cliches: you get what you pay for;  there’s no such thing as a free lunch.

• morrgo says:

09:03am | 22/05/12

@Gherkin: In my experience, most items in Aldi are both cheaper and equal or better quality than Coleworths’.  It can be initially confusing, though, that apart from Vegemite you do not find the familiar brands.  In some cases this is a distinct advantage: instead of the Cadbury and Nestle rubbish Aldi stock superb German chocolates.

• sol says:

10:17am | 22/05/12

One day Lidl will arrive in Australia ... then you’ll really see

• Get me out of here says:

01:34pm | 22/05/12

I couldn’t give a rats about what Aldi won or didn’t win - the simple fact of the matter is that their product range is a hell of a lot smaller, therefore limiting my choices to what they want me to buy rather than what I want to buy. It’s quite easy to buy Aussie products at Woolies - you just need to take the time to check your products. Or even better, support local growers and shop at farmers markets or the farm gate - hell of a lot better for your wallet

• kgrant says:

05:05pm | 22/05/12

Are you kidding?  Or stupid?  Or employed by Woolworths or Wesfarmers?

• Roy says:

07:58pm | 22/05/12

I work for a food company that has supplied Aldi since they first opened in Aust. They are supplied with the same quality as Coles and Woolworths, in fact they are more up front and less sneaky than the other two, who will drop your products off there shelves and buy from someone else for a while, to force you to accept a lower price. Back years ago we did make a special “cheaper” product for BILO (Coles)

• DrBob says:

07:53am | 22/05/12

Minor cost differences are significant, of course, but by far the main problems at supermarkets and other stores with check-outs are finding stuff and getting through the checkout.
      Both of these are far easier and quicker on line, which partly explains the growth of on line shopping and our increasing discontent with supermarkets, as personal grocery shopping has other advantages.
      I’ll probably accept being third in a queue at my local Bunnings or Masters, but will leave my trolley and go home to my computer if there’s a longer wait, or if there aren’t staff to help me find my needs.

• subotic wears Prada. and tinfoil... says:

08:02am | 22/05/12

You are being watched, scrutinised, itemised, packaged and then re-sold to the highest bidder based on your spending habits.

There is no escape. They know who we are. And we are all doomed….

P.S. I am not a crackpot.

• Paleoflatus says:

08:30am | 22/05/12

...and the only counter-weapon we have is critical thinking. I agree with your analysis, but it’s not a problem, unless we go wherever they lead. Perhaps that correlates with a lobbyist-led government’s BER spending money on school halls and wildly expensive computers, rather than on teaching grammar, maths and science, which encourage critical analysis.

• Mack says:

08:40am | 22/05/12

If you don’t want to be ‘watched, scrutinised, itemised, packaged and then re-sold to the highest bidder based on your spending habits’, use cash. Most people choose not to, tho…..

• Scotchfinger says:

09:18am | 22/05/12

‘how about some real programs with real benefits for the customer. Like free home delivery, complimentary packing and people to carry stuff to your car and childcare services.’

I don’t need or want the despotic supermarket consortiums to invade my life any more than they already do. A shop is somewhere I go to track down an item, buy it and get the hell out of there so I can get on with my life. It is not an extension of my personal space or some other trendy gimmick. Keep shopping simple and reasonably priced, and don’t spend too much time on it. If you find yourself buying a subscription of ‘Shop til you Drop’ magazine, you know your existence is out of phase, you are spinning out of control and a marketing man is reviewing your stats with a hard-on.

• subotic says:

11:06am | 22/05/12

@Mack, I withdraw $500 every 2 weeks and use cash only. I have never had a rewards card, and certainly have never used a credit or debit card to purchase anything.

Live simple. Live quiet. Wear a hoodie. Carry a big stick…

• Rickster says:

11:39am | 22/05/12

@subtoic and just how do you get cash?.....you use a debit card. Game set match!

• subotic says:

01:25pm | 22/05/12

@Rickster, when I withdraw from the bank ATM, I make sure I don’t whisper into the machine what I’m going to do with the money…

Shhhhhh!

• Semi Concerned Citizen says:

04:15pm | 22/05/12

Sub,
      I get my cash from selling illegal drugs. Unless the house is bugged or some pricks coming in wired my cash is clean.
      I then employ local school kids (payed by cash) to do my shopping.
      My friend works on an oil rig so i use his house as a base. I slink off at nights and every 3 months for a week back to the real pad i have.
      I wear a bowla hat and carry a cane as a disguise.

• gerry ward says:

08:29am | 22/05/12

I agree that I would rather have 5% discount on my total shop than a card that in 3 years has made me 10 dollars.

• thatmosis says:

08:54am | 22/05/12

Unfortunate I didn’t receive the expected Fly Buys cards in my mail so i didn’t have the satisfaction of sending then back. I don’t have any rewards cards as i don’t shop at any of the supermarkets that have them. I refuse to pay for items that are artificially inflated to cover the measly 4c a litre discount at the pump as i get my fuel from an independent that is always up to 6c cheaper anyway.
        This way I also don’t get my personal details spread far and wide to the highest bidder every time i make a purchase.
        As for the adds, why in hell do we have to have a pommy sheila doing Australian adds , don’t we have anybody in this country that could do them?

• Inky says:

08:58am | 22/05/12

Eh, I order my groceries online and get them delivered every week or two, depending on need and whether or not I remember to place the order. As far as I can tell, the prices and specials are about the same, and at worst I pay about $14 in delivery. Not a bad price to pay for one who doesn’t have a car, the alternative would be several trips a week, each one likely seeing me buy more than I needed in things I don’t need.

Works for me. Plus I earn my hilarious flybuys I’ll never use and should probably cash in for grocery vouchers but I don’t understand how it works enough to do so and can’t be bothered figuring it out. Plus, I think I can only get like, a $5 voucher.

• prosperity says:

09:07am | 22/05/12

Just everyday low prices would be nice.

• Ben says:

09:08am | 22/05/12

You don’t have to register your EDR to receive the discount…..

• Elphaba says:

09:08am | 22/05/12

I use the Woolworths rewards card in combination with a Qantas credit card.  I put everything on the credit card and then pay it off in full at the end of the month.  In the last few months, I’ve already accrued 3000 points.  I’m averaging about 900 points per month.  I plan on using them next year to part pay for a flight to the US.

It’s money I would have spent anyway (groceries, bills etc), but at least I’m getting something in return.  As for buying items on special, I bulk buy when they’re cheap - doesn’t everybody?  You then don’t have to worry about buying it for 6 months.

I’m not worried about the supermarkets knowing what products I buy and how much I spend.  I think the paranoia over that is amusing.  If I can more tailor-made advertising that will appeal to me, rather than rubbish I tune out, then that’s fine.

I think the Coles program is crap - I’m still doing better on the Woolies one.

• rach says:

10:13am | 22/05/12

“I’m not worried about the supermarkets knowing what products I buy and how much I spend.”

I completely agree. My shopping habits are hardly an invasion of privacy. To me, it’s a win-win situation; chains learn more about their customers and provide better services and products, which in turn makes me a happy consumer.

• Sara Somewhere says:

10:19am | 22/05/12

This. I don’t have a credit card, but I’m finding that the average weekly shop for my partner and I generates alomst enough points for a return flight to Melbourne each year. And I like Melbourne.

I agree with you on targeted advertising as well. If you’re going to send me promotions, at least send me something I might vaguely be interested in. When ads are targeted to my demographic, I get stuff about baby and weight-loss products. Boooooring. But analyse my shopping trolley, and it becomes clear I’d prefer to hear about specials on fresh vegetables and pet food.

Part of my job involves generating statistics for targeted mailing lists. The instructions go something like this: “We’re having a special on cereal this week. Send this email to everyone who bought a box of cereal last month but hasn’t bought any this month”. It’s no more sinister than that.

• Elphaba says:

10:46am | 22/05/12

@rach and Sara, yep, that’s right.  I love how people think data mining is soooo evil.  I’d rather advertising that appeals to me, than wasted airtime with stuff I ignore.  In the meantime, if someone is really interested in the endless tins of tomatoes and bags of carrots that end up in my trolley every week, go for it.

If I can’t get a part-payment happening on the US flight, I can always fly to Qld and visit my brother.  I’ll use the points for a flight some time in the future, and they haven’t cost me anything, and I haven’t had to change my spending habits.  Sounds like win-win to me, as you both said. smile

• Robin says:

09:09am | 22/05/12

Stuff Coles and Woolies.  We shop at Aldi and also where we can our local little shops.  Our green grocer has good prices and, whilst the butcher is not the cheapest, his range is far more extensive and the quality superior to the trash at Coles and Woolies.  We were sent a Fly But card, and that went in the bin.  The only time I ever use the Rewards card is when BWS offer a discount if you product it.  Just shop around and if you are serious about your anti-big supermarket rantings, just don’t go there.

• Benster says:

09:15am | 22/05/12

Ah yes, online shopping where at least five major items are missing from the delivery every time. I have always been refunded for missing items but it is a reminder to check off every single thing from the list as you put away your order.

And why are so many every day items not available online? They still want us to go into the store and make impulse purchases while we’re there.

• Tony of Poorakistan says:

10:09am | 22/05/12

I want that Woolworths android app to have prices on it and tell me whether the item I want is in stock. That way, I can budget and I am not wasting my time (and there’s since I always make a point of getting someone to check the storeroom) if the item is not on the shelf.

• Cath says:

11:45am | 22/05/12

I would always check every thing off any invoice attached to any order, same as checking your credit card and bank statements.  they do email you and tell you when they don’t have the products.  and they refund any wrong deliveries or substandard goods.  I’ve found them pretty good once you accept the limitations.  I spend about $300 a fortnight on a big order so pay no delivery.  The main plus is that you don’t have to visit the supermarket, load up the trolley, unload it at the checkout, load it up again, unload it into the car and unload it into the house then pack into the pantry. So much less labour intensive for me -  Heaven.

• GS says:

09:39am | 22/05/12

What about the fact that some of the items that can be selected under Coles’ my5 increased in price just before the scheme kicked off. Thus when you do get the 10% discount you are paying what the item was priced at before the launch of the revamped scheme?

Is that really a saving?

• rach says:

10:18am | 22/05/12

Haha, I love the paranoia. Tell me what items have increased? Milk, which would be on most people’s “my5” is still the same price. As is bread. Cereal still looks the same price to me. Same with washing powder.

If you are going to make grand statements, at least back them up with evidence.

• Rose says:

10:36am | 22/05/12

Huh, you get to pick any 5 items out of everything they stock in store, I picked My5 last night. I went for the highest price items on what I buy most regularly.
      To benefit from being in Flybys or any other rewards programs you just have to be smart enough n ot to change your shopping habits and to collect points on what you would otherwise get nothing for.
      I still buy my meat from a private butcher, most of my fruit and veg from the green grocer and just my staples from the supermarket. When you start buying stuff you don’t need you need to pull your head in, but blame yourself, not the retailer.
      Over the years we have had many Flybuys rewards, the thing about it I like is that I would have spent the same amount of money there whether they gave me freebies or not

• Anna C says:

09:46am | 22/05/12

I don’t have a flybuys/rewards card with either Coles or Woolies.  I think they should introduce a Priceline style rewards card where you get a voucher every 3 or 4 months based on a percentage of money you have spent in the proceeding few months at their shop.

Also I don’t use their shopper dockets to get cheaper fuel and would prefer to get a discount on my goods rather than have to use their service stations.

• Elphaba says:

10:50am | 22/05/12

The cards do that, you just have to opt in.  You can set your card up so that for every 50 or 100 or whatever points you accrue, you get a voucher to spend next time.  I haven’t chosen that option because I want my points for flights only.

• Stan Wills says:

10:48am | 22/05/12

The real rip-off is petrol discount that expires ........get a reward but don’t need to fill the tank for 30 days ......then tough titties ......it’s gone . Both supermarket giants gave 8cents off fuel a while ago but only if you used the voucher within the 30 day expiry period ..........just one more touch

• amy says:

11:19am | 22/05/12

oh..that add…one thing that really annoys me..Dawns “bob” is lop-sided…

seriously WHAT IS THAT?

• Peter says:

02:38pm | 22/05/12

Shits my wife too.
      I thought maybe one side of her head was fatter than the other (if that were actually possible given she’s a small whale).
      Maybe it’s so you don’t notice the gunt?

• Lloyd says:

11:24am | 22/05/12

I work at Woolworths Petrol and when we get a tanker we close off the site.People will sit outside and wait for an hour until he’s done just to get their frickin 4c discount, it really is pathetic. I aim wherever possible to buy non Wooloworths products, but on my wage, I can’t afford to buy all my items at the local store as much as I’d like to.

• Yawnnn says:

12:36pm | 22/05/12

I hear you Lloyd, loud and clear!  WTF it’s only about $2 a fortnight or week you are saving, why bother with these companies when 7/11 (Mobil) is ALWAYS at least 4-6 cents cheaper with out the pathetic voucher.
      People get a life and use it to force these giants to do better.  Don’t refuel there for a couple of months go to another operator.  Stop them from owning you.  You have the power to do it!!

• Sam says:

11:29am | 22/05/12

When we got the Coles flybuy cards we just cut them up and threw them in the bin. we do nearly 95% of our shopping at Aldi, it has what we need and it has prices that allow us to have a full trolly without having a minor stroke at the cost.

I am sick to death of wollies and coles and their contempt for customers. I am sick of coles/woollies advertising items and when you go in first thing in the morning for a couple of items in their catalogue they are not there, not on the shelf, not available, I have lost count of the number of times we had a trolly with items only to find the items we wanted, in their catalogue where never available, so we just walked out each time leaving the stuff in the troll, Screw Em!

Then you have Coles especially who seem to thrive on having TWO checkouts open so they dont have to spend money on wages. You stand there in a line of full trollies all waiting to be served by the two open checkouts.

Then you have the MEAT SECTION in coles/woolies, now with their buying power that they brag about in ads they should have the cheapest meat in the country, but Oh No! They are the dearest in our town for meat, its ridiculous. We buy most of out meat from small local butchers who happen to sell it much cheaper than either of the big two.

• Catrumba says:

12:16pm | 22/05/12

OMG what is wrong with me ...I sat here and read every single wallowing winge and witisism. It felt so good to read everyones supermrket purge. Nothing better than a woolies rant and I feel great…invogorated…ready to um ...go shopping.

I have a friend whose personality changes after she’s been in a supermarket. She starts out impatient and becomes a bit snappy middle store aisle and by the checkout she has cracked the sh*ts and gone…I finally worked it out. She’s a bit thin and VERY COLD. An hour in the store and she’s hypothermic..

• Alicia says:

01:43pm | 22/05/12

It really pisses me off when people whinge about items that are on special but not available in their store. Perhaps someone can in three minutes before you and cleared the shelf? Or maybe there is a shortage? Or maybe that particular store never stocked it in the first place? The catalogues do often say that items are not available in every store. Yeah, it’s frustrating but even more frustrating is the customer who complains about something the staff generally have no control over (at least I didn’t when I copped the abuse).

Coles and Woolies have to cut money somewhere when they reduce prices to try and keep customers happy ,and one of the first places is wages! It really frustates me to. I hope you don’t take it out on the staff as it’s not their fault and the decision to cut wages usually comes from some high-up manager with no fricken idea.

• ShamWow says:

05:20pm | 22/05/12

@Alicia: I agree re: people giving shit to the minimum wage checkout chicks. However, you are actually obligated to have the product in stock if you are advertising it.

• Ear to the Ground says:

11:50am | 22/05/12

These programs do offer tangible rewards for the savvy consumer.  If you’re spending money on items you wouldn’t have otherwise bought just to get to the $50 spend and get 20c off your milk, that’s not the supermarket’s fault.  It’s your own fault for failing at basic maths!  As others have commented, the “personal information” they collect is hardly sensitive stuff, and so long as you don’t change your shopping habits you’re basically getting something for nothing.  My5 saved me $8 on an $80 spend yesterday, and pretty much all the wine we drink is at 25% off because we wait for the Woolworths reward specials.  I rarely use the fuel dockets as there’s no participating station on my usual routes, but when I get the opportunity I do use the vouchers and save myself another $4 or so.
      If you’re against sharing your name, address and shopping habits, then that’s fine and your personal choice.  However if your objection to these programs is that they offer no value then I’d say “you’re doing it wrong!”  wink

• Jason says:

02:08pm | 22/05/12

Whoever thought that loyalty programs were about rewarding customer loyalty?  It’s simply used to monitor the statistics of stock sold so they can improve their net profits.

I’ve never used them because I think they are a complete waste of time.

• Kika says:

02:29pm | 22/05/12

The scheme is also only valid till October anyway.

• Trish says:

03:18pm | 22/05/12

I don’t care which one I shop at BUT I have a rule…..NEVER buy anything that is not on Special…and if it’s not, buy something that is….as it’s not life or death ( well, I should imagine not being Groceries) it’ll be on Special some other time and you can stock up.
      By not buying anything that is full priced…you save heaps and I always buy F & V from a F & V Shop and not from a supermarket….again saving heaps !