You’re in a café looking at a woman with a thick mane of lustrous, golden hair atop a trim torso.

Just how much peroxide can one woman's head absorb? Photo: Getty.

In fact, from the back she looks a lot like Barbie.  Then she turns to reveal a face that looks a lot like Barbie too – but at 70, or perhaps when she’s been left in the bottom of the paddling pool for a month, dried in the microwave and then cleaned with steelo.

You have now experienced lock shock.

Tasting something salty when you expected it to be sweet, the hot shower turning cold: it’s not that the experience is so horrible, it’s just the jarring clash between expectation and actuality.

I myself resolved never to dye my hair.  And then I got my first grey – springing up from my part like the proverbial bird.  As far as a hair goes, it seemed to have a lot of personality - but before the next day dawned I had signed its death warrant.

An acquaintance once complained to me of hair dye as hair heroin.  I tittered politely – but at the time I was clean.  Now I’ve had a taste, and I’ve got the dealer on speed dial.

However, the global supremacy of the dyed lock is only one symptom of a more general phenomenon – the rage against age.

Once upon a time you had to just watch it all slip away, like a sandcastle to the tide.  But now there are options and injections, products and plans, nips and tucks.  Science and its simple cousin beauty therapy are fighting back.

As a result, ageing has become a tricky affair to orchestrate.  At what point do you just say no, and let go?  And if you’ve been saying yes, what do you do as the chasm deepens between what god gave you and your cosmetic identity?

Before you know it, your lips are 30, your hair is 20, your eyelids are 40, but your ass is still 60.  If I kiss you, will I get a chronological tasting?

“Young. Old. Just words.“ George Burns said, and good on him.  But yesterday in the shops I saw a woman of the sort who spends more on clothing than most would on housing.  She was hanging on to the tail end of her sixties, tightly.  First, I noticed the perfectly coiffed hair, the Chanel glasses, the fine cut of her tailored suit, and then, beneath her jacket, the lace body suit.  The obvious retort here is that there is no right age for a lace body suit - but you get my point.

Fashion no longer knows boundaries when it comes to age.  It welcomes every soldier prepared to walk to the beat of its drum.  But perhaps there’s a point when it’s not becoming to be in a marching band.

I accept that I should probably be starting to move my attention at least some way beyond the physical on the path to enlightenment.  And that if I could do so, this question of ageing wouldn’t preoccupy me so.  But I’m still drinking shots with obscene names on a Saturday night, so I’m not counting on my visa to transcendence arriving anytime soon.

For now, I’ll just buy some more skinny jeans, keep it heavy on the highlights and redraw for a tub of anti-ageing algae, for I fear I will not go gentle into good old age.

• S.L says:

05:02am | 24/11/10

The female version of a mid life crisis Amy? Is buying the hair dye and constantly updating the wardrobe for an ageing female the equivalant of buying the Harley Davidson and sinking in an earing (maybe some tattoos?) for a guy of similar vintage.

• Anne71 says:

12:56pm | 24/11/10

@ S.L - I think it’s more because the emphasis in our society is on youth, particularly for women. While men in the public eye are allowed to develop wrinkles and grey hair and still be regarded as sexy (think George Clooney), women who start doing the same are expected to embrace hair dye and Botox if they want to be considered “attractive”.  I’m at the age where silver hairs are starting to appear, and when you’ve got dark hair they’re quite noticeable, believe me. But I don’t plan to go down the hair dying route any time soon. In fact, I think they look somewhat distinguished smile And if any man decides that I’m not worth his attention because of them, then I think I’ve dodged a bullet anyway, since he’s obviously more interested in appearances than what’s inside a person.

• Bec says:

05:10am | 24/11/10

Dying my hair is great because going darker leaves it in better condition than it was before. I can also get away with washing it far less, and if I just tint my eyebrows to match I don’t really need makeup.

Those hours in a salon are really an investment in me having more time to wallow in my own filth during the week. That’s a winner.

• HappyCynic says:

07:55am | 24/11/10

The problem with getting old is you get grumpy and conservative.  Some people embrace it (usually nuts to begin with) everyone else fights it (futilely).

Everyone from scientists to cosmetics companies have told us changing one’s physical appearance to reverse a few years gives the ol’ mind a new lease on life.  It’s bullsh*t, the only thing that I’ve found that keeps you young is to keep studying and learning new things, don’t waste time and don’t ever believe anything anyone ever tells you (it’s all bullsh*t anyway) and eat, drink and laugh a lot without worrying about the stupid consequences.

Oh and don’t have kids, those little sh*ts will age you faster than anything else smile

• grumpy old man says:

08:26am | 24/11/10

good call! my approach is to revel in each day, and s*d anyone that has a problem with this. I figure that when you get to the stage of knowing there are less days ahead than behind, you need to adopt a “who gives a sh*t approach"and just do what you want., just don’t waste a day doing nothing!
      And as for what my mum would have called “mutton dressed as lamb”, love it!

• Anne71 says:

01:01pm | 24/11/10

HappyCynic - I agree on the grumpy part - I often joke that I’m gradually shifting from an Angry Young Woman to a grumpy old one.  But I don’t think I’m getting more conservative - if anything, quite the opposite.

However, the rest of your philosophy I embrace whole-heartedly. Well done, sir! Or madam.

• iansand says:

07:57am | 24/11/10

How dare those fogeys look after themselves.  How will the manufacturers and vendors of dressing gowns and carpet slippers stay solvent?  I demand regulation to protect vital industries!!!!

• MelD says:

08:31am | 24/11/10

People don’t dye their hair just to hide age, I have been dying my hair since i was 15 as it was the only thing in my life I felt I had control over, I don’t dye it as much anymore but in Summer I go for blond streaks as they suit me, in winter I go darker, what’s the big deal

• Lee says:

10:20am | 24/11/10

I’ve been doing it since then as well. It certainly wasn’t to hide the greys! only to get a different colour. I’m stuck on red at the moment smile

• MelD says:

12:05pm | 24/11/10

Yeah I used to do purple, blue, different shades of red it was fun, getting told off at school and having them call your mother to ask if she knew what I had done to my hair and their faces when she explained she is the one who coloured it in the first place smile

• Phil says:

08:42am | 24/11/10

I am going grey, I don’t care at least I have a full head of hair

• Dan says:

09:04am | 24/11/10

Ageing is super sexy, it’s real and anything else is fake (nothing sexy about fake). The only thing I am going to be mindful of as I age is the “old person smell” !.

• Lazy Jesus says:

09:06am | 24/11/10

Dyed hair is for the most part hilarious on both men and women. Especially the Mahogany colour so beloved of pale women (you know - that odd combination of red, brown and purple) and almost black, usually sported by bald/balding/thinning men (see - Geoffrey Eddelsten for a great example).

Also,  - “But I’m still drinking shots with obscene names on a Saturday night”. Lame, totally lame..

• Millsy says:

09:27am | 24/11/10

Coolest people in the world are those getting a little older but being quite comfortable with it. It’s really not that scary

• Mr Pod says:

09:33am | 24/11/10

I’m over 50 and can’t be bothered about looks, but will not “let go” of my health. I still run 7k most days and keep as physically active as possible and try to keep my mind sharp.
      Don’t worry about the paintwork - concentrate on the engine.

• Chris says:

10:09am | 24/11/10

I’m with you Pod but over 60. A fitness fanatic who reads his son’s Uni material instead of watching TV.
      I tell the girls I had a body transplant.  I feel great but frustrated I cant pull a young fit playmate. Over 50 fit and fun are hard to find and jealously guarded here. The hair on its own wont cut it!!

• Sad Sad Reality says:

09:41am | 24/11/10

Amy, you’re over 35 I’m assuming, so the game is over anyway. Give up. The Alphas are hunting elsewhere.

• H says:

09:44am | 24/11/10

That was a great read. Thanks.
      I want to argue about hair dye being like heroin. But I’ve been hooked since my teens.
      I could stop. Really I could. I just don’t want to…

• fairsfair says:

10:12am | 24/11/10

I find that these women (double baggers we call them - yes thats right, two paper bags required) look older when they are trying to replicate Barbie, than they do when they cut their hair and dress more age appropriately. It is all about perceptions I guess…

I used to work with a firey redhead who regularly induced lock shock and it was quite funny to go out with her for Friday night drinks. The looks on people’s faces as they saw something that they thought to be true quickly evaporate before their very lives. She is hot - but moreso now because she has changed the red dye to brown and had her beautiful hair cut into a more age appropriate style. I am not saying that she has given notice and started with the blue rise - she just now has shorter hair and looks less Britney and more refined.

But, if these women are happy doing it and girl hair and bandage minis make them feel better about themselves - I say leave them be. What ever blows wind up your skirt.

• Alyssa KT says:

10:32am | 24/11/10

I noticed my first grey at 25, but I was bleaching my hair at the time, so I have only noticed how many friends have joined it since dying my hair back to something similar to what my natural hair is growing out to be (at age 30). I think I’ll get some foils soon to mask the unwelcome scalp invaders…. However, I do plan to go completely grey at some point, perhaps 65? And tinge it a lovely shade of purple with that Magic Silver White stuff. Why not?!

That reminds me, I’m really looking forward to seeing what the young generations now look like at 70+... I highly doubt there will be any of the knee socks, front-creased trousers, harry-high-pants with tucked-in shirts etc looks that are so common among the mature folk of these days!

• Melrusk says:

11:35am | 24/11/10

Bring it on. In my experience quickly approaching 40, I find I actually tend to have people look me in the face for a conversation, as apposed to my cleavage. It is quite liberating. Besides aren’t 40’s supposed to be the most powerful time of a womans life, done with the breeding and delusions that our sense of self worth is attached to our physical value or shall I say some one else’s opinion of it. Viva Liberty from the youth image trap.  wink

• grandma says:

12:01pm | 24/11/10

I’m in my mid-50’s and have no plans to be conservative, HappyCynic. I do get foils in my hair so it’s not completely grey, but as far as clothing the brighter the colour (but not ultra modern in style) the better.  I buy clothes that don’t go in and out of fashion and wear them for years, so my wardrobe is daggy/bright if that makes sense. I don’t try and look younger than I am, but I do still have a child inside that wants to run and jump and climb trees etc - thank God for grandkids, you get away with childlike behaviour in their company.

• Sylvia says:

12:03pm | 24/11/10

Hair colour is a b*tch and I’m sorry I started dyeing mine.  I keep trying to grow my natural colour back in (dark brown/grey), but it’s such a horrible mess, and then something comes up and I need to go out looking halfway presentable, so it gets coloured again.  I’ve now bought a wig (with grey in it) and hope to find my way back to natural while hiding under it.  I have no problem with grey hair.  Some of the most attractive, well presented women I know wear their hair grey.

• Kika says:

12:39pm | 24/11/10

Just shave it off and start again. Once you colour your hair, there’s no going back

• chrisw says:

01:01pm | 24/11/10

That’s the problem isn’t it, mahy 40+ers would like to grow the hair dye out, but it looks so atrocious as its growing out we end up giving up and re dyeing..as you said when a occasion comes up such as job interviews etc. Never thought of the grey wig idea though…hmmm

• Thomas says:

12:33pm | 24/11/10

If you dye your hair to “fight” aging, guess what….. you CAN’T WIN!
      You may as well deal with it and realise that you can’t fight nature, it always wins. To think any other way is just deluded and bound to make you suffer

• Kika says:

12:51pm | 24/11/10

I curse the day my Mum dragged our family friend hairdresser to my house to put some ‘highlights’ in my hair. Prior to this I had beautiful long blonde hair which was fading as a result of puberty. My hair was going brown to the dismay of my mother who insisted I was a blonde and needed to stay that way. So in comes the hairdresser (who I later found out had never passed her apprenticeship!) bleaches my hair to high heavens and instead of just ‘streaking’ my hair, my whole head looked like it was dunked in a tub of bleach. It looked awful. Plus to top it off she blow dried and hair sprayed my hair into an 80’s flick fringe. Yuk! She did the same to my sister.

I was mortified to go to school on Monday. My Mum just laughed. My fringe was cut off right at the hairline and I could do nothing to hide the poor colouring and lack of length at the fringe. All my friends were asking me “What happened to your hair??” This is the worst thing to happen to me because before then I was really confident and outgoing and after that I became really insecure and unsure of myself.

As the roots grew through my Mum suggested I just do what she does to keep her naturally fair hair blonde and spray Sun in on it. Well…. my sister was the first to suffer. All her hair broke off at the roots. She literally looked like a chicken. She had to pin her hair in a million places to look like she intended her hair to look that way. Poor thing. I shouldn’t have laughed coz the same thing happened to me not long after. My hair fell out brushing it one day and again, I was mortified.

So I did what I should have done originally, and died it to a more natural dark brown. My dad and mum was mortified, insisting I was a ‘blonde’ and now I looked Meditteranean (by the way my Dad is dark coloured and people often think he’s Greek). My friends at school loved it. I loved it. I felt myself. But my hair was still broken off and it took about 2 to 3 years to grow it back to a level where it was okay.

But getting it to any sort of proper condition happened only after I stopped trying to dye it blonde, and mostly dying it myself.

So it’s taken effectively 13 years now to get my hair to a decent condition again after that ill fated home hair bleaching situation by an unqualified hairdresser.

The moral of the story is NEVER TRY COLOURING YOUR HAIR YOURSELF. STORE BOUGHT HOME HAIR COLOURS ARE CHEAP AND NASTY. DONT YOUR PARENTS TELL YOU WHAT YOU SHOULD DO WITH YOUR HAIR. AND ESPECIALLY DONT LET YOUR PARENTS FRIENDS DO YOUR HAIR UNLESS YOU ARE SURE THEY HAVE THE CREDENTIALS AND QUALIFICATIONS TO DO SO!

• bella starkey says:

02:46pm | 24/11/10

I used home hair colour all through highschool to lighten my increasingly darkening blonde hair. Never had a problem, except the one time I let my mum help me with it.

Now I get it done professionally (because I am meant to be a grown up and that’s what grown ups do) and while it is meant to be better for my hair, it doesn’t seem a whole lot different.

I think the key point really is don’t let your parents do anything to your hair… especially don’t let your dad trim your fringe (oh, i am still upset about that and it happened when i was 5)

• Emma says:

02:58pm | 24/11/10

yikes! What a nightmare!

If you want to continue keeping your hair a dyed colour but dont want to ruin it, use henna. My hair is at my waist and henna leaves it incredibly strong, shiny and soft as it not only colours, but it is also a treatment. $20 for a block at Lush does the trick for me… one word of warning. It is very, very messy and you need to leave it on for 5-8 hours so clear a day, do it outside and wear hubbys old shirt that you have secretly wanted to throw out, lol

• Kika says:

03:23pm | 24/11/10

Your Dad trimmed your hair? hahaha. My husband trims his own hair, but I’d never trust him to do the same with my hair!

Yeah bleaching your hair is bad for your hair anyway, but I’d still wouldn’t trust myself to do it right. My hair is too dark these days to do it myself coz it just turns red even if I try! hahaha.

• Deb says:

08:16am | 25/11/10

Have used supermarket hair dyes for 30 years - and my hair is at mid chest level - when I get it cut, although my hair is very fine, my hairdresser says it is in good condition. I think your ‘hairdresser’ left the bleach in far too long. If that happens your hair goes to straw and breaks off just as easily. Another one is leaving keratin in for more than 10 minutes - I left it in overnight - my fault and only my fault - I had to get my hair cut really short as it was coming out in my hands.
      I would use professionals to colour my hair, but I cringe at how much it costs and how often you have to get it done. My mother-in-law paid, as a birthday present $170 at her hairdresser to have my hair cut, coloured and streaked (about 5 years ago) - 3 hours later, it did look great, however, the streaks were more than 1/2 inch from my scalp and I had to have it done about 4 weeks later as I had two GT stripes - my own colour, the dyed colour and then the streaks - forget it!
      40 minutes in old clothes, running around doing things, then shower and look great - that is for me thank you.

• Jackson says:

02:08pm | 24/11/10

I think all men and all women hate ageing, it’s just that many don’t admit to it. As a 43 year old man who starting going bald at 23, I figured that I’d just keep the remaining hair clipped, rather than go for a hair peace. I figured that since my hair loss was going to make me look older, I might as well focus on good skin products, keeping fit and maintaining a healthy diet. People cannot believe I am in my 40s. Still, I wish I had more hair ...

• TONY GLYNN says:

02:23pm | 24/11/10

Females have a limited shelf life in respect to fertility and a “use by date” as a desireable sex object.  29 is the “tipping point ” and has been since Adam wore short pants. Marrying approaching 40, no woman can say she has given a man rthe “best years of her life”.(15-35).  Correct me if I am wrong!

• Shama says:

02:38pm | 24/11/10

No female of 29 is super interested in a divorced has been dad of two aged 45 whose best years are behind him (in more ways than one). Well certainly not as a “desireable sex object”.  Just having s*erm that can manage to function over a somewhat longer shelf life is not a scintillating attribute for marriage.

Even Clooney and Pitt look haggard post 40. All the 40+ women on my train seem to be eyeing young RobPatz.

You stand corrected.

• Lisa H. says:

11:57pm | 24/11/10

I’m sorry Tony, but why even go down this undignified road? You cannot hope to go anywhere happy by taking this tack.

Your insult is designed to be taken personally. But I am not an object, Tony. I’m a person. And I’m enjoying life much more now than I was in my 20s, thank you so much for caring.
      Besides, if you were such a Tarzan to my Jane, where were you when I REALLY needed you?

Aah, but you missed me, and now here you are, looking quite the worse for wear.

It is as if your opinions had finally come out to play on your face: a leering, scheming and pickled up old face, with a grizzled old paunch to match!

Definitely not what I am looking for.

Too bad for you, Tony, I think you’re starting to smell.

• Deb says:

10:48am | 25/11/10

Ha Ha - I like your comments Tony. Them’s fighting words, which is what you wanted, isn’t it? Bring a bit of life to the party, so to speak? This is the trouble nowadays - we can’t say anything that is deemed ‘politically incorrect’. And I so like being politically incorrect - give and receive I say.
      You are actually quite correct with the term ‘shelf life’, although think about how many manufacturers put a use by date on products, so they can get their customers to throw out a perfectly good product, and then buy new. Who is actually stupid - the repetitive buyer, the manufacturer, or the product itself, since in this case, the product has the same for intelligence? Debatable - careful - it can do a circle and bite you right where you do not want it to. Sorry girls - you choose to believe or not believe whether you have a use by date - anyone else’s thoughts are irrelevant.
      Obviously women have a fertility time limit, but is that so really important on a day to day basis? Desirable sex object - I do particularly like that one - I would suggest you are not getting as much as you think you deserve sweet-kins:) As a undesirable sex object of 48, with four kids ranging from 25, when I was fertile, to a surprising 8 year old which attached herself to my supposedly infertile body at 40, (maybe immaculate conception or daydreaming that my hubbie can’t get enough of me) I really do not know what species you have been mixing with to get your impressions. Do tell?
      Now that I have received the comment and replied to it (very tongue in cheek I might add - made my day - thank you!) seriously though - age is a problem because both sexes are looking for perfection to compliment their belief of their own inadequacies and fears.
      Think about that - both of you, as you despair on growing old. Or you can enjoy life - your choice.
      Cheers folks.

• Josie says:

02:33pm | 24/11/10

Yet again females are controlling each other through criticism of aging. Bugger that. Wear and do what you like. Too young for a short skirt, or too old. It does not matter as long as the person is happy and that is the secret of life. Beauty is not the singular preserve of the young but for everybody. And to hell with judgment. I still need more reconstructive surgery to have a normal face, yet people criticise me for wanting to be normal. Citing god made me this way. Well FU as clearly god must hate me. So I will continue the surgical route to happiness and a better life and opinions will be ignored. So enjoy your own life and let others live theirs.

• Emma says:

02:47pm | 24/11/10

huh? I dye my hair all the time and I am 23. I use henna to leave it a natural brownie/red colour. The henna is a treatment for my hair (which is naturally to my waist, the henna keeps it strong and healthy) and I like the way it shines when the sun hits it. I also use moisturiser every day to keep my skin nice and I stay out of the sun to avoid wrinkles in the future (let alone skin cancer!). Its not to alter societies perception of my age, its just because it makes me feel good knowing that I am looking after my skin and my hair, they will be with me for the rest of my life so why not take care of them?

My mother is nearly 60 and has iron grey hair which she dyes an ash blonde, she also uses night cream to keep her skin hydrated and she wears light makeup to work. So what it makes her feel more attractive… but it doesnt hide her age, it just softens the overall look.

I dont understand the issue, if it makes you feel good to try and look younger, who cares. If you want to embrace your age, who cares. Is it really worth a news article?

• dan says:

02:58pm | 24/11/10

At least you didn’t start going grey in your teens. Hair dye is a life-saver. I hate my hair, but at least when it’s dyed it looks alright. Nobody wants to look old. Because there’s no benefits to being old. In every situation I’d rather be 20 rather than 40 or 6-0.
      Your youth is where your real life is, cherish it, and don’t waste it. Anything after 30 is a waste of time, and those people who say “life begins at 40” or whatever other stupid sayings are just making excuses for themselves not to commit suicide.

• Asrael says:

03:06pm | 24/11/10

Until my hair fell out recently because of chemo, I was well into my 50s and still had naturally thick, dark, wavy hair. No colouring, no curling, not much maintenance required at all. It’s just genetics. Nothing we can take credit for. I have no intention of coloring my hair, assuming it ever grows back, as it all sounds like miles too much work.

• Gin says:

03:13pm | 24/11/10

I was watching the Today show this morning with Richard interviewing comedian Jack Black on his new movie and I was thinking that if there was a women comedian who was over weight and not the most attractive looking (like Mr Black) hell would freeze over before she was to have as a successful career as Jack Black! Our societies unwritten rules mean men can get weathered and old and wrinkle but oh no not women! no no no! It’s ok for men to get a huge gut & look disgusting but if you get a little bit of weight on heavens forbid don’t bother trying to get a date! As a single male friend says when women get married or get older they “Blow Out”

• daniel says:

05:00pm | 24/11/10

Are you kidding?
      Rosie O’Donnel
      Whoopi Goldberg
      Roseanne Barr

etc

• Mr Man says:

04:05pm | 24/11/10

I’m in my 40s and started doing weight workouts and now my body is much more muscular than it was when I was 20.  I think it was a mid life crisis for me.
      So if you don’t want any saggy bits, then workout, workout, work out like crazy.

• Honesty says:

07:04pm | 24/11/10

It all comes down to that we have not evolved enough to be entitled not to age. We must age and die or we would overpopulate, which we have managed nicely even with death being inevitable. Everything women do revolves around attracting men, the stupid fake boobs, surgery, starving themselves - and for what? To attract a superficial bas#@rd who is too stupid to see through the rediculous “female” facade.

• Emma says:

07:38pm | 24/11/10

I am in my late 40’s and dye my hair an ash blonde colour.  I used to have very very blonde hair and found the older I got the darker it got and the dark hair just makes me look old since I still have very fair skin.  What every makes you happy I say.  I won’t ever go the route of skinny jeans, mid riff tops etc but I don’t dress like a 60yr old either. Keep healthy and enjoy life.

• Eva says:

10:39pm | 24/11/10

I would much rather look at an older woman who is well dressed and making the most of her looks than an older woman who no longer bothers (or most likely never bothered in the first place). I give an inward cheer every time I see a woman in her 70’s or 80’s looking attractive and plan to be that woman myself one day.

• Marko says:

11:11pm | 24/11/10

Girls, if you want to look good then stop obsessing about your hair and shoes.

Stop pretending that you can keep wearing undersized compression stockings ( also known as bras and tights) without sagging all over the place.

To stop yourself imploding, don’t forget there are men around who are quite capable of blowing away your cobwebs. Just ask.

For best shapelyness, do some weights for muscle toning. Some yoga may help too with the poise and flexibility. Thats the only thing thats going to stop you falling apart.

And, by the way. The blonder you are, the older you are. Its such a giveaway.

• Lisa H. says:

11:43pm | 24/11/10

A lady you classify as ‘(too) old’ wears a lace bodysuit.
      Another keeps the hair of her youth.
      Why not try to see the person, Amy? Every one should be able to enjoy life on their own terms, if not harming another directly or indirectly by their actions.

• Rie says:

06:12am | 25/11/10

Embrace the grey, I say!! 44 with plenty of silver (read: grey, no hair dye for me) highlights in my dark brunette hair! People actually compliment me on my natural highlights. I save time, AND save LOTS of money and no chemicals on me or down the drain into our waterways, plus there’s no wondering ‘do I go lighter as I get older?’ I wear it short and a bit spiky, definitely stylish and absolutely NO regrets. I’m very happy with the way I look, and “I’m worth it!!”

• Deb says:

06:45am | 25/11/10

It’s mostly about how you feel about yourself. I have dyed my hair on and off for the last 30 years, getting my first highlights at 18. I still wear my hair long, because one, I like it, and two, because I can.  At the moment I am three tiered - lighter, medium and darker - out of/in fashion - don’t know, don’t care - I love it! When I no longer love it, I will change it. When I want to go grey, I will.
      It is about you and what you want to do with yourself - not what you perceive others wanting you to appear, so that they find you acceptable. If you want to age naturally - do it. If you want to age gracefully - do it. If you want to dress the same way you did, when you were 20 - do it. If you want a bit of a nip and tuck - do it. But understand, no matter what path you follow, you will not have 100% followers. The only person who will follow you 100% is yourself and if you do not like your choice, why expect others to like it? Either change your choice, or change your attitude, but let yourself be happy.
      As for other people - let them do what they find right for them and enjoy life together, for that is the real secret to keeping and staying young.

• Mike says:

08:02am | 25/11/10

There was once the thing where you never let your black roots show through. Now its almost a statement that I dye my hair and it just looks so bad