Miranda Kerr claims to read affirmations every morning because they make her feel “more centred and inspired”. One such affirmation is “I came here to be me” which Kerr describes in her self-help book Treasure Yourself as giving herself permission to be authentic, self-expressed and unafraid to present her true self to the world.

I also find my centre balancing these Manolo Blahniks

It’s easy to be cynical about the quest for people to better their attitudes, especially when they are supermodels who appear on the surface to be perfect beings already.  Surely Kerr should have no fear expressing herself? And can reading these statements make any difference?

Self-help often gets a bad rap. As a society, we agree that it’s good to improve our intellectual minds through traditional education. However, many people draw the line here and are unwilling to accept there’s any work required on our emotional selves.

This month UK journalist Oliver Burkeman has been in Australia promoting his book which questions positive thinking. He says self-help is over-hyped and focusing on positive thinking puts too much pressure on people to be happy.

I’ve worked for more than 10 years as a management consultant with organisations who want to improve the ability of their leaders and employees. Most managers are promoted because of their technical skills.

However, as many organisations find, being good technically, doesn’t make you a great leader. Instead, it’s the largely unmeasurable skills of what you’re like emotionally that enables you to motivate and inspire others. I’ve seen first-hand the difference that positive and negative thinking has on performance.

For example, a sales person who uses positive affirmations such as ‘today will be a great day and I will get that big sale’ will be more motivated to make cold calls than someone who is expecting failure.

Positive thinking or reading affirmations can inspire or motivate people and make them feel good. So long as you’re not delusional, what’s wrong with looking on the bright side? It’s no guarantee that the immediate result will be any different, but the person who focuses on the positive is more likely to bounce back from adversity.

The optimistic sales person, for example, is more likely to pick the phone again after rejection.

Optimists see themselves as being able to influence their environment. So, they are resilient, which means they’re able to accept change. In fact, they’re often pioneers of change. Pessimists are in a constant state of helplessness. They tend to think of themselves as victims, unable to control the situations around them. They blame themselves for problems. They see negative events as permanent and insoluble.

Positive thinking is a difficult construct to measure scientifically, but research into optimism and health consistently shows that optimists live healthier lives and have lower incidence of disease. And in the workplace it’s pretty obvious that employees tend to prefer managers with positive attitudes. This translates to staff who are happier, do better work and stay around longer.

We can all choose whether to cultivate our positive or negative thoughts, and with every choice comes a consequence. How we react to situations and people throughout our day is very much influenced by our state of mind.

In normal, healthy people it’s usually choice, not chance, that determines your emotional responses to every day situations. Consider that next time some one cuts in front of you on the highway or tries to get ahead of you in a queue.

• Macca says:

06:39am | 27/07/12

I attended a training course about 8 months ago were the presenter made some similar comments about leadership, optimism, engagement and change.

We did a short activity he called “plus 2”.

In short, he asked us to walk around the room (this is halfway through the course, so we’re all already familiar) and greet each other. We would then have to guess, out of 10, how good a day that person was having on the basis of their greeting. I.e. those having a good day or who displayed a positive face got a 6, or 8 or so, those who were pessimistic (either about the task or their general outlook) got a 3, 4 or 5.

The facilitator then asked us to write down what number we got and reflect on how we presented ourselves during those greetings.

Later in the session, he asked us to do the same task, but this time, “plus two”, I.e. intentionally lift your mood when you are greeting people. We were then “assessed” out of 10 by our peers on our mood.

The results were twofold;
      1. Even if you’re two days into an exhaustive training program in a class room environment, you can still present a positive outlook if you want to. Great leaders do this all the time and it’s one of the reasons they are engaging people.
      2. This activity really lifted the mood of the room; everyone was more engaged having greeted people with a positive outlook.

I could blab about this all day, but resilience and optimism are highly valued traits amongst leaders in organizations, and will continue to be so as the world economy struggles over the next 5 years

• Emma says:

07:41am | 27/07/12

My mother told me to always smile when I answer the phone for several reasons: Your voice sounds so much friendlier, you automatically feel better when you smile, you get a positive response to your friendly voice which cheers you up even more and of course being grumpy on the phone is rude as the other person does not deserve to pay for your bad mood.

So I would say there are some little tricks that can help.

• ME says:

07:54am | 27/07/12

True, true. But often there is a fine line between a genuine optimistic outlook and a genuine cake and ass licking employee that shows such great positive attributes. “The squeaky wheel gets all the oil.”

• Macca says:

08:35am | 27/07/12

I like that, Emma

• Rose says:

08:51am | 27/07/12

Fake it till you make it!!
      Pretend that things are going well (unless of course you’re in a situation where that would be highly inappropriate) and then things will eventually start to look better. I think it’s like training yourself to look on the bright side, even when you don’t feel like it.

• Ohcomeon says:

09:07am | 27/07/12

This is why I no longer work corporate. I have a very low tolerance to stupid bullshit. Facilitator gets paid huge money to show people they can pretend to appear happy to ease networking. Geez what a revelation.

• Macca says:

09:47am | 27/07/12

In no way am I subscribing to a “fake it to you make it” type BS. People aren’t idiots; they smell a fraud miles away.

But you can adapt positively to change in a workplace whilst maintaining credibility. Responding positively to challenges at work is far more engaging to your peers than complaining about your problems.

• Admiral Ackbar says:

11:33am | 27/07/12

Oh I agree with this, I do it often. I’m generally a pessimistic arsehole but I can pretend like I’m not pretty well. Although if I stay optimistic for extended periods I may spontaneously combust.

“People aren’t idiots” - Oh but for the most part, they very much are. It’s amazing what you can pretend what mood you’re in, or things that you’re good at. I can pretend to not be a seething mountain of rage all day, and on first appearance come across as all unicorns shitting rainbows, but then I get home and yell at bags of puppies.

• Drew(Darlinghurst) says:

07:35am | 27/07/12

Affirmations…hmmmm

Louise L Hay preached “affirmations” during the early period of the HIV/AIDS epidemic in L.A and San Francisco known as “The Hay Rides”
      She also published what would become a world best seller ...“You Can Heal Your Life”

Louise L Hay simply offered “false hope” to thousands affected by this horrific virus.

Stay clear of such quacks !

Thank You !

• armchair philosopher says:

07:44am | 27/07/12

You mention motivation and it reminded me of a blog I came across recently:

Not sure how much I agree with the author yet but it’s probably important to understand what will make us happy and why. That is, to understand ourselves.

• acotrel says:

07:45am | 27/07/12

@Michael
      Loved your article, and I lived my life as a manager that way.  Be genuine - lead by example and motivate others.  I still take pleasure in seeing those that I’ve mentored who have moved on to much better jobs.  A positive outlook is contagious.

• Paul Mason says:

06:28pm | 28/07/12

Acotrel you will need to work on your positive attitude once Tony is your new PM.

• Tubesteak says:

08:05am | 27/07/12

“but the person who focuses on the positive is more likely to bounce back from adversity”

Actually, a number of studies have shown the opposite. For example, people in concentration camps have shown to last longer the more negative and cynical they were.

I assess something based on probability and determine my reaction and mood from that.

• Pete says:

09:42am | 27/07/12

Those same studies showed that, coincidentally, those who were willing to screw over their fellow concentration camp inmates to elevate their survival chances, also lasted longer.  The more “negative and cynical they were” the more willing they were to exploit those who were more vulnerable to them.

• Al says:

11:46am | 27/07/12

Pete - your point being?

• Pete says:

01:44pm | 27/07/12

Being “cynical or negative” doesn’t mean you ‘last longer’ per se.  It means you justify doing bad things to other people for the sake of yourself.  Certainly not a pathway to happiness, in my books.

• Martin says:

02:55pm | 27/07/12

@Tubesteak

I my general experience, people who continually focus on the positive fall hardest into the pit of despair and depression when the bitter sting of disappointment shatters their fragile little bubbles. As with all things the middle ground is the healthiest place to be.

I used to think Ms Kerr was a reasonably ‘together’ individual until I read she subscribes to and promotes this self-affirming bollocks. When I’m in a grumpy, pessimistic or self-pitying mood I remind myself there’s always someone far worse off than me and to cut the bullshit and get on with it. Cheers me up no end.

• BJ says:

08:17am | 27/07/12

Let me give this a go. I believe that today, I will not encounter any more affirmations or young women who believe that they are unique.

• Admiral Ackbar says:

11:39am | 27/07/12

Haha, good luck with that. It’s a positive affirmation, not ‘the force’.

• nihonin says:

08:22am | 27/07/12

I’ve never been happier than since I became cynical.

• subotic says:

08:30am | 27/07/12

Nothing reaffirms your life like knocking over 2 solid cones of good purple 1st thing in the morning.

If you survive the 2nd cone, anything after that is perfect.

• nihonin says:

01:01pm | 27/07/12

Unless there’s nothing in cupboard, come the mucnhies.

• Mahhrat says:

08:32am | 27/07/12

If you’re worried about being happy, you’re going to have a bad time.

• Kiera says:

08:36am | 27/07/12

“I came here to be me”  What a laugh she’s become so plastic and false, just like Nicole Kidman.

• Audra Blue says:

05:57pm | 27/07/12

I agree.  I don’t understand why everything she says is reported as something interesting.  What is the deal with this girl’s popularity?  Colour me completely mystified.

• Ohcomeon says:

09:21am | 27/07/12

Anyone else find it amusing that a certain type of person actually cares what a model thinks? Someone who is a celebrity precisely because they are good looking alone? And that their ‘wisdom’ is somehow worth something.

• Cry in my Gin says:

10:12am | 27/07/12

Bravo. Most enlightened comment on thread.

• Admiral Ackbar says:

11:44am | 27/07/12

I don’t find it amusing, I find it arse backwards and sad that all it takes to be able to confer the wisdom of Yoda is to look good in bullshit clothes that no one can afford.

• kitteh says:

12:25pm | 27/07/12

Admiral and co., I have to agree, although I suspect Miranda Kerr’s main job is to look good without too many clothes. And that’s our rationale for buying her book (which, to be fair, I very much doubt she actually wrote)?

I feel similarly about many celebrity causes. Not that I have ill feelings to most of the causes, and in fact I actively support some myself, but I loathe the attitude the celebs have in promoting them - as though they were rocketed down from heaven to educate the rabble. I mean, I never would have thought bullying was wrong unless Lady Gaga told me so. Nor would I have figured out that people in Haiti are suffering without Angelina Jolie. And don’t get me started on Bono. I always wonder if, in spite of the short-term spikes in donations that may follow, the use of celebrity promotion doesn’t damage a cause’s long-term credibility.

• Admiral Ackbar says:

12:52pm | 27/07/12

Good point kitteh. What pisses me off the most is that there is even a self help book allegedly written by someone who hasn’t worked a day in her life. What the shit is she going to help me with, looking good in an A-cup? So she’s written a book that will help any idiots who want to be like her, be themselves, by being more like her? There is an overwhelming sense of derp to this.

As for damaging the credibility of a decent cause through the association with one of these self proclaimed god-people, I’d say you’re right. Bono is the worst, because he started this shit. And why anyone would take advice from a talentless freak who wears meat clothes I’ll never know. Maybe they’re purpose is to bring these causes to the attention of their idiot fans who wouldn’t know what’s going on outside their own neighboourhood let alone country.

• Liskev says:

06:11pm | 27/07/12

Well said.  What irks me most is their hypocrisy.  For example, Bono tells us all to put our hands in our pockets and for governments to wipe out Third World Debt, but did you know that as an “artist” in Ireland, he pays NO tax?!  Ás another person said, it would be funny if we weren’t the mugs paying for it.

• dancan says:

09:27am | 27/07/12

I wouldn’t say that positive thinking has benefits, I’d instead say that being able to think of a situation from different perspectives has a positive benefit.

• ronny jonny says:

09:39am | 27/07/12

Yes, I agree dancan, perspective is critical. Step outside your own worries for a minute to realise that you aren’t the only one and a lot of people are very much worse off. I think a lot of peoples problems with negativity and feeling things are going bad for them is simply that they have no perspective. A bit of travel soon helps with this, unless you are going to resorts and sitting in a sealed bubble of self indulgence of course.

• Macca says:

09:50am | 27/07/12

Probably a better explanation; divergent thinking.

• Al says:

09:31am | 27/07/12

This type of position is simply lying to yourself about how you feel.
      Positive outlook, pfft give me the cynical or pesimistic outlook anyday.
      I’m not in management (and never want to be) due to the fact that you are quite often expected to lie, even to yourself.
      For some reason people seem surpirsed when the ask me “How are you today?” and I answer with “Absolutely crap, thanks for asking”.

• daf says:

11:16am | 27/07/12

Funny, that.  I get exactly the same reaction when I reply “Unbelievable, thank you for asking” - and an inevitably sunny grin follows.  How’s your reply working for you?

• ronny jonny says:

09:33am | 27/07/12

I have a friend who likes to start the day by posting an affirmation on facebook, usually pinched from some self help gurus website. She is going on my blocked list.
      State of mind is definitely about choice but repeating some bullshit artists shallow one liner as you stare at yourself in the bathroom mirror will not change who you are or how your mind works.

• Budz says:

09:45am | 27/07/12

I do love this part:
      “giving herself permission to be authentic, self-expressed and unafraid to present her true self to the world.”
      How many of yourselves can truly say that you are that everyday?

• Grumpy Typewriter says:

09:48am | 27/07/12

There’s a difference between being being Happy and being Positive.  We can’t control if we’re happy or not but we can make a choice to be positive.

• Ginger Mick says:

09:52am | 27/07/12

OLD Business adage:

“Attitude determines altitude.”

How high do you wish to go and how hard are you prepared to work for it.

Another adage:

“If it is to be it’s up to me.”

Have a GREAT weekend all, spring is on the way.

• Ohcomeon says:

09:55am | 27/07/12

A pearl of wisdom from the author’s website.

“We become our thoughts. To paraphrase Hamlet, there’s no good or bad, but thinking makes it so.”

Paraphrase indeed. The usual sort of faux-psychology quackery that impresses management types. Not that theres anything wrong with that. If you can turn a buck explaining things that most people learned in high school, then more power to your wallet.

• john of solomon says:

09:58am | 27/07/12

Another so called “celebrity” with a self help book to help the peasants uplift themselves, she is a charlatan like all the other “self help” gurus. The cult of “celebrity” worship is sickening.

• Richard says:

10:07am | 27/07/12

All successful, rich, famous etc. people, ALL of them, have admitted to the same habit as Miranda Kerr. Every single one. Affirmations make a difference, and its only the bog-standard, average, negative losers who refuse to put any credence in them.

• Al says:

10:33am | 27/07/12

Richard - Affirmations only help if you believe they do.
      It’s called self-deception and is the same reason so many people fell for ‘The Secret’ crap a few years ago.
      It is an example of the placebo effect where it is not directly related to a medical issue.

• Ohcomeon says:

11:12am | 27/07/12

Thanks for the morning belly laugh Richard. Can you please link me to the verified study that proves this?

I just imagine Genghis Khan practicing in front of the mirror ‘I AM a powerful warlord, I AM a powerful warlord, why didnt that cute looking prisoner girl message me back? I AM a powerful warlord…..’

Simple affirmations are largely for the unimaginative and simple minded. Also, relentlessly positive people are often incredibly boring. Life has pointy bits, and horrible bits. Recognising this does not make you negative or cynical, it means you can look at the reality of life with your eyes open.

• AdamC says:

11:12am | 27/07/12

Al, self-delusion or self-awareness? In my view, we are often more in control of our emotions than we think we are. The same could be said about our lives in general. Some make the choice to fail and be unhappy, then blame God, fate, the government or whatever.

I totally agree regarding the Secret, though. When I first saw the Secret doco being broadcast, I thought it must be a hoax or a joke. The worst thing about it was that it made no link between positive thinking and action. Being upbeat alone won’t get you the corner office! Crazy.

• Al says:

11:39am | 27/07/12

AdamC - as far as I am concerned (my own opinion of course) if it something that you are self-aware of then why the need for an affirmation.
      I see them more as something people use to try and convince themselves of something, whether it is true or not (and usualy not).
      If it is something they are already aware of it isn’t an affirmation, just a confirmation of what they already know.
      (Others will probably disagree so I am happy to wait for the replies).

• RB says:

11:52am | 27/07/12

I wonder where Miranda will be telling everyone to stick their affirmations once menopause hits.

• Meph says:

01:54pm | 27/07/12

I’m going to go out on a limb here and point out that Miranda Kerr earns a paycheque by being able to show an emotion on demand for a photographer. How is this in any way linked to being herself?

The truly gifted don’t require tricks of the mind, they just get up and get on with what they have to do.

• PhilD says:

11:12am | 28/07/12

Affirmation: A belief system that demands huge salaries and payouts for those risking nothing but other people’s money. Mega stars and celebs, pollies and some judges are the high priests. You open their books and it reads: “Its all about me.” - nothing else and all printed by Narrow Perspective Press.

• Nikki says:

12:12pm | 27/07/12

Wonderful!

• BruceS says:

10:28am | 27/07/12

Thank you Michael, for an informative article. The trend to look to the Government for help as a first resort is usually ineffective and not cost effective. Self help is the way to go,  then, if needs be, consult a government funded professional. Motivated people usually succeed.

• AdamC says:

11:00am | 27/07/12

I find gibbering uber-optimists incredibly irritating. I see myself as a bit of a cynic generally, especially when it comes to certain aspects of life. However, like most well-adjusted people, I have learned that I can alter my mood by making an effort to feel positive and acting accordingly. And, even if that doesn’t work, you can at least fake it. And, despite the present trend for self-absorption, sometimes you should do just that. Have you ever had a mopey boss, for example? What a bring-down!

It is also not a bad idea to remind yourself every so often that you are actually a very fortunate person. You should do this even if you are not really sure that it is true. One approach is to focus on the positives. For example, I used to tell myself (and others) that, while I sometimes felt I had been unlucky in my professional life, I was clearly very fortunate in my personal life. One out of two aint *that* bad, surely?

If all of this fails, then there is probably something externally wrong in your life. Thanks to pop-psychology, we tend to internalise problems. I say, externalise them! If you feel really unhappy in your job, get a new one. If your partner is abusive, annoying or just not good enough for you, dump him (or her). If your friends are catty and toxic, move to a new city and a start afresh!

• Craig says:

11:27am | 27/07/12

Choice is definitely at the root of most happiness - though ignorance plays a role too.

However the concept that we must be happy and social all the time is a flawed one. People sometimes need to be angry, outraged, sad or depressed.

All our emotions have value - provided they are experienced in moderation. They all have their role to play.

It can be damaging and distorting to a person’s emotional psyche to only be happy and positive all the time.

So who out there in self-help land is teaching people how to be constructively sad, angry or scared?

• Zeta says:

11:30am | 27/07/12

That’s so weird. I always imagined Miranda Kerr’s morning affirmation would consist of her screaming BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD, SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE into the mirror while listening to Norwegian Black Metal.

• kitteh says:

12:13pm | 27/07/12

Awesome. I sort of pictured her affirmation as a whole lot of white noise, perhaps punctuated with a few bouts of ‘Underpants are pretty’, but that is much better.

• Al says:

02:22pm | 27/07/12

“Blood for Baal, Blood for Baal”

• Meph says:

04:43pm | 27/07/12

@Zeta

This is why we must be ever vigilant, worshippers of the primordial annihilator can be lurking anywhere!

• Leigh says:

11:38am | 27/07/12

We have only to look at Kerr to know she doesn’t need affirmations in her chosen field.

All this ‘mind-over-matter’ and ‘positive’ thinking business is voodoo. How many times do we hear people say, “I’m going to beat this cancer”, only to hear of their deaths a few weeks later. The media would have us believe that people are ‘fighting’ various illnesses when they are, in fact, in a coma, relying on medical apparatus and the skill of doctors to keep them going, as well as luck. Then they ‘lose their battle’ as though anyone ever believed battling was a cure for terminal illness.

Mr. Rookes salesman might be more ‘motivated’ by ‘positive affirmations’, but his targets, not knowing what a positive chap he really is, can still tell him to get his foot out of the door and piss off.

We find our level in life naturally, without black magic; certainly the sort some practitioners want us to pay for.

• Anjuli says:

11:40am | 27/07/12

Yesterday I left a comment in an article on the Perth Now site about the same thing though a different subject,in essence i said it is how we choose to live our lives not always how we were raised.

• hootananny says:

11:41am | 27/07/12

Miranda Kerr’s affirmation would involve this:

1. Look in the mirror, nude
      2. Smile
      3. Think about her day
      4. Look at her bank account
      5. Think about how many men are flogging themselves over her pics
      6. A positive affirmation springs to her mind

• A. Powers says:

01:05pm | 27/07/12

Groovy baby, smile, smashing, purr like a kitten, more ,more ,more and I’m spent!

• Al says:

11:54am | 27/07/12

Not trying to get off topic, but doesn’t that picture of Michael Rooke look rather like Basil Faulty?

• Delusions of grandeur says:

11:58am | 27/07/12

Gawd, I’m so deeply sick of the minutiae of this person’s life appearing in the press. I just DON’T CARE and it’s so dull. She’s a clotheshorse FFS. She didn’t get where she is by banging out her bloody affirmations every morning. She’s just really good looking and brands like slapping their logo on her. END OF STORY.

• Nikki says:

12:34pm | 27/07/12

So does this mean that if I read her book and do some positive affirmations I too can be a glamazon who gets paid millions to walk and wear clothes at the same time, and marry a heart-throb film star, have a complications-free pregnancy and childbirth with a team of nutritionists/trainers/chefs to get me back in supermodel shape afterwards, and live a life of leisure and privilege while certain sections of the media report everything I do and say?

Awesome. Because Gwyneth Paltrow’s ‘Goop has been a crushing disappointment. I’ve been reading it for nearly two years now and still haven’t starred in a film, married a musician or become bestest buddies with a celebrity chef. I do have a pizza oven in the backyard though so it hasn’t been a total loss.

• Gordon says:

12:57pm | 27/07/12

Posters on this blog split in to two streams of opinion:
      1. arrr bollocks, it’s all spin & BS.
      2. Yes! the world, my oyster, will open to my positve sunny attitude.

Here’ s the prefect opportunity for a test.
      Author: please post a followup article say two years from now
      Posters: pick a side and let’s see in two years who is closer to their goals in life.

• PhilD says:

01:06pm | 28/07/12

Goals? Affirmation has goals?

• vox says:

01:03pm | 27/07/12

The author of this article has obviously never stepped out into the ‘real world’. I wonder how many kids in Rawanda say, put their plight down to “choice” rather than “chance”?
      What an unadulterated heap of shite!
      Shakespeare knew about it all. He had Edmund, I think, the bastard son of Liecester cry, “Such is the foppery of man!”.
      He was speaking of the belief that the stars we are born under, the planetry positions, and many other “out there” influences affect our lives, but only when something untoward happens. When we succeed it is all down to us.
      “I would have been as I am had the maidlienest star in the firmament twinkled on my bastardising”, he avowed.
      Every moment of every day we do something that alters our whole life. I wrote a thing called “The Turning Point” that I’ll submit one day which illustrates that by making a phone call or not making a phone call, (to anyone), alters irrevocably our whole life and the life of all with whom we come in contact.
      Luck or choice? One day someone will write more cleverly than I that a choice to go to the local shop has within itself a thousand events reliant on chance. Think about it. Go to the fruit dept first instead of the tinned food and your life is forever changed from what it would have been had you acted in the reverse. Simply, you cannot “plan” for the future. There is no entity such as “the future”. There is only chance.

• ME says:

01:08pm | 27/07/12

Who is Miranda Kerr?

• Not again! says:

02:01pm | 27/07/12

Very very easy to bounce out of bed with a positive attitude when you’re young, extremely good looking, have an underwear model body and millions in your bank account.
      I once flicked through her “Treasure Yourself’ book in a bookstore and wondered what planet she was on producing a supposed confidence inducing inspiration book for teen girls where she (being Miranda) appears throughout looking every inch the supermodel she is, not to mention multiple pictures of her in her underwear/lingerie.
      I reckon if I stepped into Miranda Kerr’s body and had her bank account and people constantly telling me how fabulous/gorgeous/stunning/perfect/faultless etc I was, I’d have sky high self confidence as well!

I am sick to death of seeing her mug in the papers and don’t get me started on her opinionated views on childbirth and breastfeeding.
      She is an over glorified clotheshorse FFS. I’m not normally a hater but Miranda should stick to what she is good at and that is modelling skimpy clothing.

• hootananny says:

02:08pm | 27/07/12

why hating ?
      let me fapp in peace pls

• Kika says:

02:14pm | 27/07/12

Very true. You choose your attitude. You can choose to get angry or not. You can choose to see things in a good or bad way. Most of this I think is shaped by your personality and your upbringing. I tend to find I swear a lot more driving after I’ve been in the car with my Mum. She is freaking scary to drive with. C bombs for everyone who gets anywhere near her on the road. It’s totally unhealthy but symptomatic of an unhealthy mind.

Saying that, it’s a bit rich for Miranda telling us all how to think. Little Miss Perfect. Perfect person. Perfect Pregnancy. Perfect Mother. Perfect Wife. Perfect Husband. Give it up already. I am not a Christian but when I see people throwing their wonderfulness in everyone’s faces I think of poor old Job and what he had, and what he lost.

• Martin says:

03:42pm | 27/07/12

A vacuous clothes-horse in an industry that peddles fantasies “giving herself permission to be authentic, self-expressed and unafraid to present her true self to the world” is the very definition of irony.

08:16pm | 27/07/12

Her new book may well have good advice to youth who are paralyzed by their self-image.
      The young are not listening to their parents or to their teachers ; maybe Miranda is just what the Doctor ordered.

• Jeremy says:

09:49am | 29/07/12

Not into the ‘self help’ thing myself being the surly person I am. Talking about girls who do the affirmation thing (don’t know any guys who talk about it publicly), some of them do seem to get a big kick out of it, and that’s great, but the majority that I know who do it are using it as an excuse to not try to better themselves in other ways or seek other forms of help.