The victory speech is probably the easiest of any politician’s career. The fight’s over. All you need to is be gracious and deliver some - let’s face it - platitudes, such as: “Now it’s time to go forward, together.” As opposed to backwards, separately.

David Cameron at No.10 with his wife Samantha. Photo: AFP

So it was as Conservative leader David Cameron, Britain’s new Prime Minister, stood outside 10 Downing Street overnight and delivered his victory speech. “And I think the service our country needs right now is to face up to our really big challenges, to confront our problems, to take difficult decisions, to lead people through those difficult decisions, so that together we can reach better times ahead,” he said.

As opposed to not facing the challenges, and taking easy decisions, so that as a rabble we can wind up in a total dystopia. The full text of Cameron’s speech is below, and you can read about it here and here. But can you improve on the victory speech? What should politicians say when they win? What’s really on their minds? Share your thoughts in the comments.

Her Majesty the Queen has asked me to form a new government, and I have accepted. Before I talk about that new government, let me say something about the one that has just passed. Compared with a decade ago, this country is more open at home, and more compassionate abroad, and that is something we should all be grateful for. And on behalf of the whole country, I’d like to pay tribute to the outgoing Prime Minister for his long record of dedicated public service.

In terms of the future, our country has a hung Parliament, where no party has an overall majority, and we have some deep and pressing problems. A huge deficit; deep social problems; and a political system in need of reform. For those reasons, I aim to form a proper and full coalition between the Conservatives and the Liberal Democrats.

I believe that is the right way to provide this country with the strong, the stable, the good, decent government that I think we need so badly.

Nick Clegg and I are both political leaders who want to put aside party differences and work hard for the common good and the national interest. I believe that is the best way to get the strong government that we need, decisive government that we need today.

I came into politics because I love this country, I think its best days still lie ahead, and I believe deeply in public service. And I think the service our country needs right now is to face up to our really big challenges, to confront our problems, to take difficult decisions, to lead people through those difficult decisions, so that together we can reach better times ahead.

One of the tasks that we clearly have is to rebuild trust in our political system. Yes, that’s about cleaning up expenses, yes that’s about reforming Parliament, and yes it’s about making sure that people are in control, and that the politicians are always their servants, and never their masters.

But I believe it’s also something else: it’s about being honest about what government can achieve. Real change is not what government can do on its own; real change is when everyone pulls together, comes together, works together; when we all exercise our responsibilities to ourselves, to our families, to our communities, and to others. And I want to try to help build a more responsible society here in Britain. One where we don’t just ask: “What are my entitlements,” but: “What are my responsibilities?” One where we don’t ask: “What am I just owed,” but more: “What can I give?”

And a guide for that society, that those who can, should, and those who can’t, we will always help - I want to make sure that my government always looks after the elderly, the frail, the poorest in our country. We must take everyone through us on some of the difficult decisions that we have ahead.

Above all, it will be a government that is built on some clear values, values of freedom, values of fairness, and values of responsibility. I want us to build an economy that rewards work, I want us to build a society with stronger families and stronger communities, and I want a political system that people can trust and look up to once again.

This is going to be hard and difficult work. A coalition will throw up all sorts of challenges. But I believe that together, we can provide that strong and stable government that our country needs, based on those values: rebuilding family, rebuilding community - above all building responsibility in our country. Those are the things I care about; those are the things that this government will now start work on doing.

Thank you very much.

Don’t miss: Get The Punch in your inbox every day

Get The Punch on Facebook

• Mavis says:

07:58am | 12/05/10

A reference to “working families”, “greatest moral challenge of our times”,  “extending the hand of friendship” ... and most of all “a government that cares for the ordinary pommie”.

• iansand says:

08:09am | 12/05/10

What they really want to say”  “Nyah, nyah, nyah.  Losers!  I’m better than you are!”

• Daniel says:

08:37am | 12/05/10

Lets hope we see the UK Greens member trying to cut through with some great policy.

• neil says:

09:31pm | 12/05/10

Greens are a spent force Daniel.

move on like the rest of the world has.

• Sheedy's Left Foot says:

08:39am | 12/05/10

Surpised he didn’t go with ‘A fair shake of the HP sauce bottle for all working families’

• Steve says:

09:27am | 12/05/10

Cameron had to tone down his “victory speech” because he didn’t actually win the election.

In the end, he needed the support of the Liberal Democrats to form an adminstration - a party 99.99% of Tories despise.

The recriminations inside the conservative party will start soon enough. They failed to secure a majority against a clapped out Labour government led by a deeply unpopular Scottish PM. They had significantly more money to spend on electioneering than Labour and had the media largely onside, yet still couldn’t win a majority in the House of Commons.

• bella starkey says:

11:12am | 12/05/10

What’s being scottish got to do with it?

• Pom in exile says:

09:29am | 12/05/10

So is it now a Clameron or a Cegg government?

• Paul Colgan

Paul Colgan says:

10:33am | 12/05/10

Boom-tish. Clameron works. Clegg’s going to be deputy PM apparently. One thing I’ll miss now we have a result is the coverage. The Sun ran a front page about there being a “Squatter in No.10” with a pic of Gordon Brown, there was talk about the negotiations being a “three-Clegged race”... the British press is just brilliant at this stuff.

It’s been a long slog - Adam Boulton lost his temper live on TV yesterday with Alistair Campbell. If you haven’t seen it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZm5cm0ZtL4

• Ryan says:

10:24am | 12/05/10

Who cares how he speaks, at least here is a person who isn’t full of rhetoric and smooth speak, well at least some sanity has returned to one part of the world, I am sure with time they will be able to clean up the abysmal mess left by Labours populist partying and complete incompetence.

• Dave says:

11:17am | 12/05/10

Cameron’s “big socierty” is nothing but rhetoric, Ryan. Plenty of Tories were so worried about it being so shallow that voters would see right through it during the elcetion.

And even the new PM (who only got 36 per cent of the vote, so not exactly the people’s choice) admitted that Labour improved the UK during their time in power, not least in sorting out the NHS and introducing the minimum wage.

How to improve Cameron’s speech? That goes to Kodos: “We must go forward, not backward, upward, not forward, and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom.”

• Ryan says:

01:42pm | 17/05/10

@Dave : the NHS is a complete mess, what part did Labour fix again? How long were they in power for? Now they have so-called “home grown” terrorists to deal with there due to Labours immigration policy.

• GC51 says:

11:53am | 12/05/10

Cameron couldn’t get too ecstatic, he knows better than most how much of the Tory soul was sold to secure the “win”. It should be more fun to watch than a barrel of Tasmanian monkeys once the rosy glow of winning starts to fade.

• Scarlett Street Rocker says:

12:18pm | 12/05/10

Ah well, so the blue fella got it, with all the help from the yellow fella. I give it 6 months and there will be another election where the red fella, led by a Miliband (or two) will come back as winners. The victory speech will begin with “I ‘d like to thank the blue and the yellow fella’s for coming together to make everything red.”

• monkeytypist says:

01:33pm | 12/05/10

SSR I have absolutely nothing to say about your comment itself, but do you mind if I copyright your username for an Indie band project I’m running wink?

• Radical Chick says:

02:03pm | 12/05/10

I dunno about the speeches…they are not really important!!
      What is important is whether Cameron will work to diminish Britain’s huge debt.  If he does that he will be right…speeches notwithstanding!

• Nicki says:

02:11pm | 12/05/10

I love British humor.Benny Hill was my favorite.
      Let see if those comedians can do better.

• Sean Williams says:

03:25pm | 12/05/10

As a labour man I am sore about the loss but genuinely wish this next lot well, it’s a precarious time and we need good government. Maybe a Tory govt with a liberal check is just the ticket at this moment in time, time will tell. As a last partisan hurrah however you could not get better than good old cambo de-masking the Sky News political editor, yes political editor!!!!, in glorious live techni-colour as the right-wing media’s golden narrative of seamlessly sweeping Old Etonian Dave and “his lovely wife Sam” into No 10 started to hit some (in hindsight minor) glitches. Imagine the outcry if an ABC/BBC political editor had reacted in such a way to a conservative guest

• Ronk says:

04:36pm | 12/05/10

OMG a political leader said that the opposing party had made the country/state a better place than it was the last time his own party was in power! What gentlemen these Poms are. If an Australian politician has ever said anything like that, it must have been even longer ago than the last time an Aussie minister resigned because of mistakes made in his portfolio (instead of the modern Aussie tactic of toughing it out, saying he’s not to blame because he knew nothing, and blaming his subordinates).

• Scarlett Street Rocker says:

12:43pm | 13/05/10

Monkeytypist - sorry but I have to say no. I am the one and only Scarlet Street Rocker. I am from Scarlet Street (Drogheda, Eire) and I am a rocker. See CHOCOLATE JESUS on ms or fb.